Skip to content

When should I dual my Stormlord to Mage?

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
Right now I have a level 7 Stormlord (he just leveled up). I was originally planning to dual now and finish BGEE as a Stormlord 7>Mage 8. I could still reach Mage lvl 31 in BGEE2 and I would have level 4 priest spells and better HP. But SoD coming out has changed things. I was considering dualing at level 9 for 5th level spells and then level 11 for an extra lightning bolt and stormshield as well as 6 level spells. But now I am thinking about the following...

1. Finish the original BGEE campaign as Stormlord.
2. Remove the XP cap.
3. Play Black Pits up to either level 11 or 14 - which should be easy to get to.
4. Dual to mage and import him into a fresh SoD game.

Compared to a generalist mage, here is what a Stormlord 14>Mage 27 would get in return for a single level 8 slot and 4 caster levels:

1. 113 HP instead of the 76 HP that comes on a level 31 mage
2. 3 free castings of Lightening bolt and 2 free castings of Stormshield
3. Access to all Cleric spells ... 9 9 8 9 5 2 1 divine spells per day (counting Wisdom bonuses)

I feel this is an improvement compared to a generalist mage, and I didn't want to multiclass because I didn't want to sacrifice arcane castings per day for more high level divine castings and Cleric HLAs. Even now I am thinking that with the mage's superior summons and buffs, a level 7 cleric slot isn't worth a level 8 mage spell and the longer down time. If I dual at level 11, I can reach Mage lvl 29. Two higher caster level and all the spells a generalist mage receives as well as an extra Mage HLA I believe.

But still, the thought of having access to all cleric spells and virtually a full complement of mage castings is tempting. It pretty much comes down to either 11>29 or 14>27 and I am leaning slightly towards 11>29 because I'm not sure a single level 7 cleric spell is worth a level 8 mage spell - especially when more downtime is involved.

If anyone bothers reading this, may I ask what you would do in this situation?

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I say to err on the side of a lower-level dual-class. Downtime is absolutely dreadful, and most of the benefits of high-level dual-classing come in so late that you barely notice them. Late-game, you probably won't see Lightning Bolts or Storm Shield having much impact.

I'd go for level 9-12, if only for Chaotic Commands, Righteous Magic (works great with Iron Golem form), and Heal (easily placed in a Contingency or Spell Trigger).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I would probably dual at level 9.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    11 or 12.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I'd just remove the XP cap, leaving only the downtime to consider. Either way I prefer earlier rather than later.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Thanks guys - I believe I will do a level 11 dual class.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    9 is fine, clerics level slowly after that, unlike druids who have sporadic growth spurts in those levels then come to a halt at lvl 14. 11 is the absolute limit. Waiting till 14 for a lvl 7 spell is not worth the effort.

Level 9 gives you one casting of 5th lvl, chaotic commands or raise dead. Nice bonuses. 11 gives you lvl 6 spell and really, they are not THAT good. You can try the 'time stop+harm' for the 'I win' combo, however. Thus lvl 11 is worth considering. Lvl 7 spells are really north worth it, IMHO, it drags the inactive period too long for little benefit. Greater restoration is nice but it only affects one target in ee, thus not very essential. All other spells you can use your mage spells instead for better effect. Shield of archons, fire storm, finger of death, all can be subbed by mage spells, even with better ones in most cases.

The problem is, IMHO, cleric is not really needed in bg2. It is a luxury. Healing and antidote potions and resurrection rods are so plenty. Restoration scrolls are plenty too, and can be used by anyone. You can use potions of invulnerability, clarity, magic shielding etc. or just use berserk/barbarian rage, or improved invisibility to boost your saves or just get spell immunity:enchantment to get the effecs of chaotic commands. And mage summon planetar can cater to all of your cleric spell needs, they are formidable tanks too, can solo soa with improved haste. Turn undead is nice, but you need a pure dedicated single class cleric for it to work against the biggies, and is not worth it alone.

If it was balanced and fixed, I would make resurrection rods and restoration scrolls usable only by clerics (and maybe paladins or monks), reduce healing potions numbers and/or potency. That would make clerics mandatory. As is, I think druids are better casters for they have amazing spells like insect plague, iron skins and fire elementals.
    edited March 2016
    My Wisdom will eventually be 22, so only spell levels 1-5 will be affected by bonus castings. That fact, combined with the fact that I can still hit mage level 10 in SoD as well as Mage level 31 in BGEE2 makes dualing at level 9 very attractive.

I think Lunar just convinced me to dual at level 9. Thanks for the help guys - much appreciated, as always.
    lunar wrote: »
    ...The problem is, IMHO, cleric is not really needed in bg2. It is a luxury. Healing and antidote potions and resurrection rods are so plenty. Restoration scrolls are plenty too, and can be used by anyone. You can use potions of invulnerability, clarity, magic shielding etc. or just use berserk/barbarian rage, or improved invisibility to boost your saves or just get spell immunity:enchantment to get the effecs of chaotic commands. And mage summon planetar can cater to all of your cleric spell needs, they are formidable tanks too, can solo soa with improved haste. Turn undead is nice, but you need a pure dedicated single class cleric for it to work against the biggies, and is not worth it alone.

This is why I didn't multiclass. In BG2 my Bhaalspawn will be a mage, but with better HP and can cast a few cleric spells. He will be the only divine caster in my party. I am going to end up with:

Bhaalspawn (Mage w/ Cleric abilities)
    Korgan
    Sarevok
    Dorn
    Hexxat
    Edwin