Skip to content

When 2.0 goes live, can you load 1.3 saves?

EggHuevoEggHuevo Member Posts: 69
The title says it all. For instance, if I'm playing BG2:EE now, and I would like to keep going with my save when 2.0 is released, would I be able to? I'm sorry if it's been answered somewhere else, I can't find it.

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Yes.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2016
    Heh, I love the name... a bit repetitive*, but I love it. My understanding is that this will be possible for an unmodded game. I understand that mods will be essentially uninstalled (I would uninstall all mods before upgrading). Any modded save game will probably cause a CTD

* on the other hand, I understand "Huevo" has a connotation in Spanish not found in English...
  • EggHuevoEggHuevo Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2016
    Heh, I love the name... a bit repetitive*, but I love it. My understanding is that this will be possible for an unmodded game. I understand that mods will be essentially uninstalled (I would uninstall all mods before upgrading). Any modded save game will probably cause a CTD

* on the other hand, I understand "Huevo" has a connotation in Spanish not found in English...

Hmm... I use BGTweaks, occasionally ShadowKeeper, and that's it. Yeah, it will probably crash, you're right. I shouldn't risk it.

And yes, my name means literally "egg egg". Nothing too profound about it, lol. It was a character from a comic book I used to write. Originally his name was Egg. Later, I had to come up with a surname for him, and so I named him "Egg Huevo". I know, I'm not Tolkien when it comes to naming things. :grimace:

Edit: ah, yes. Huevo can mean "testicle", if that's what you mean. Because of the shape, you know. Hehe.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited March 2016
    They will retain access to v1.3 of the game (Listing it as a beta in Steam) so you can continue playing with your existing mods after the release of v2.0 without issue by continuing to use v1.3 of the game.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    You may be able to re-install your mods after you update, before you load your saved game. It might work.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    If I understand correctly, there will be string disparities. Mods add extra strings to the bottom of the dialog file. 2.0 (and probably also SoD, unless it uses it's own string file) also add extra strings to the bottom of the dialog file, so even if you install your mods in the same order, the strings are now under the 2.0/SoD strings.

But your savegames aren't updated. So any mod related references in your savegame to the dialog file will now point to a different string.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Thels wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, there will be string disparities. Mods add extra strings to the bottom of the dialog file. 2.0 (and probably also SoD, unless it uses it's own string file) also add extra strings to the bottom of the dialog file, so even if you install your mods in the same order, the strings are now under the 2.0/SoD strings.

But your savegames aren't updated. So any mod related references in your savegame to the dialog file will now point to a different string.

Yes, this is why I mentioned you can still access v1.3 and continue on with your mods/current save games without issue. Updating the game can lead to various issues for in-progress games, especially when mods are involved.
  • EggHuevoEggHuevo Member Posts: 69
    Thanks guys! I've reached the conclusion that it probably won't work, so I'll stop playing until 2.0 stops being beta.