Skip to content

DERP!

KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
DERP!
Post edited by Kaliesto on

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    No, it is a stand-alone, just as long as you already have Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    Weird. I was reading that one announcement topic, and somebody said the opposite.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    SoD is an expansion to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. If you already own BGEE, you can buy SOD on it's own on either Beamdog or Steam March 31 (buy on the platform where you own BGEE).
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2016
    "snipped"
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    SoD is an expansion to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. If you already own BGEE, you can buy SOD on it's own on either Beamdog or Steam March 31 (buy on the platform where you own BGEE).

@Amber_Scott So is there any word on GOG?
  • ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    @BillyYank Nothing has been annonced for GOG. Since the EE of BG and IWD is listed there, there is hope. Maybe not on Day 1, but I'm confident it will come.

I hope because I own all EE game on GOG
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I was going to do this anyway, I too downloaded BG and BG2 from GOG.
    Just thought I would like to support Beamdog.
  • clos4lifeclos4life Member Posts: 26

I guess this is as close as we'll get to an official confirmation. No GOG version on release date. Very disappointed.
  • SchrademanSchrademan Member Posts: 14
    I will be extremely dissappointed to, if SoG is not released on GoG on March 31 (or at least April 1), just so that BeamDog can keep it exclusive for days or weeks, probably in hopes of getting people to purchase BG:EE and SoG on BeamDog's own website, just to be able to play the game on Day 1 or Week 1 or whatever.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    Schrademan wrote: »
    I will be extremely dissappointed to, if SoG is not released on GoG on March 31 (or at least April 1), just so that BeamDog can keep it exclusive for days or weeks, probably in hopes of getting people to purchase BG:EE and SoG on BeamDog's own website, just to be able to play the game on Day 1 or Week 1 or whatever.

It won't be a beamdog exclusive on launch. It will be available on Steam at that point.
    If that is so, then I wouldn't see any sense in not releasing it on GoG on Day 1 as well.
    Thanks for the quick response though. :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    If that is so, then I wouldn't see any sense in not releasing it on GoG on Day 1 as well.

@Amber_Scott might be able to provide further clarity here. I'm actually just repeating what was written by her 7 posts above mine :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Great, go tell GoG that.

You complain to the store if a product that you want to purchase isn't available there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    How do you guys know that beamdog are the ones blocking the sale on GoG?

When my grocery shop doesn't carry an item I want, I don't assume that the producer is to blame, rather that the grocery shop feels like that item isn't profitable, either because of low profit margins or because of low demand. If I want my grocery shop to carry said item, I ask them to do so. If enough people show interest the item will be carried.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2016
    I don't know what our status is with GOG currently. I know Cam and Trent have had many meetings with the GOG team over the last few months and that there have been roadblocks to making an agreement both parties are happy with. Unfortunately, having ample time doesn't always mean negotiations will work out. I have a meeting with Cam next week and I'll try to find out more information for everyone.

Well, I'm glad that I happen to have a beamdog copy of bgee. Still, I'll be needing to complete my gog collection so please count me as upvoting a gog version

Edit: actually, I'd upvote it for those that only own the gog version as well. They should new able to enjoy the game as well.

Or, at least make other versions compatible with the gog version. I think that, at least, is a reasonable request
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I don't know what our status is with GOG currently. I know Cam and Trent have had many meetings with the GOG team over the last few months and that there have been roadblocks to making an agreement both parties are happy with. Unfortunately, having ample time doesn't always mean negotiations will work out. I have a meeting with Cam next week and I'll try to find out more information for everyone.

Well, I'm glad that I happen to have a beamdog copy of bgee. Still, I'll be needing to complete my gog collection so please count me as upvoting a gog version

Edit: actually, I'd upvote it for those that only own the gog version as well. They should new able to enjoy the game as well.

Or, at least make other versions compatible with the gog version. I think that, at least, is a reasonable request

Agreed. It seems really odd to me that the GOG and BD versions aren't compatible. I can see why Steam needs its own version because of the achievements, but the other two are .exe's that don't depend on a client to run, they should be identical.
  • downloaddownload Member Posts: 25
    I'm actually hoping it takes a while so that the ~$15 I just spent on a steam key for BG:EE wasn't a waste. It will be nice to have both it and BG2:EE on the same platform, though.
  • HenryQGHenryQG Member Posts: 3
    Possibly a silly question, but I bought BGEE through the app store (Mac); I take it this counts as a direct Beamdog purchase and so I should get SOD from Beamdog (either directly or via the App store)? trying to avoid any hitches!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    If you bought the game through Beamdog.com, you can preorder SoD by itself. If you didn't buy the game through Beamdog.com, you can only preorder SoD if you also buy BG:EE.

None of this means that you can't buy the expansion once it's released on your chosen platform--but no matter what, you won't be able to buy Siege of Dragonspear on a given platform unless you own BG:EE on that same platform (whether it's GOG, Steam, or the Mac App Store).
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    edited March 2016
    Dee wrote: »
    If you bought the game through Beamdog.com, you can preorder SoD by itself. If you didn't buy the game through Beamdog.com, you can only preorder SoD if you also buy BG:EE.

None of this means that you can't buy the expansion once it's released on your chosen platform--but no matter what, you won't be able to buy Siege of Dragonspear on a given platform unless you own BG:EE on that same platform (whether it's GOG, Steam, or the Mac App Store).

And why is that?

From a technical point of view it should be really easy for you guys to make your release version of SoD compatible with the GoG BGEE version.

Don't get me wrong, trying to get a decent deal with GoG is all fair and square and I'm not blaming you for any delays or even a failed deal. However, unless there a binding legal issues that would prevent you from making your SoD version GoG compatible and allowing it to be bought without owning BGEE on your platfrom, I think you're really letting your customers down.

When I bought BGEE and BG2EE from GoG it didn't even cross my mind that I might not be able to buy SoD from whichever retailer I'd chose.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    The binding legal issue is that we had to make SoD a DLC as opposed to be a standalone game. SoD being a DLC, you must own the parent game.
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    edited March 2016
    The binding legal issue is that we had to make SoD a DLC as opposed to be a standalone game. SoD being a DLC, you must own the parent game.

So you are saying Beamdog is legally obliged to make sure its customers own the parent game?
    Because otherwise I still don't see why you could not just make your SoD version compatible with GoG's BGEE version.

Btw, thanks for answering.
    I realize that you guys have no nefarious intentions but having just recently bought my EE versions from GoG the whole situation is somewhat frustrating.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm pretty sure that making a stand-alone version of SoD compatible with GOG's distribution of BG:EE would not go well at all with GOG's people (if it isn't outright breaking all sorts of contract clausules).

I'm sure it's going to be available soon, though. Back in 2012 when BG:EE was released, having it available through GOG seemed like a pipe dream (GOG even went as far as promoting the classic versions of BG and BG2 after the initial backlash over the less than optimal state in which the EE was released), and look where we are now.
  • JesperDKJesperDK Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when it will be available in the App-store? I've read some conflicting reports!
    Thanks
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    JesperDK said:

Does anyone know when it will be available in the App-store? I've read some conflicting reports!
    Thanks

^
    ||

This.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Mac App Store will ship along with iOS and Android
  • TronjerTronjer Member Posts: 2
    Picked up BG:EE from MacStore in 2013 and was about to get mad about delayed release of SoD. But then I saw that Beamdog discounted BG:EE to $4.99. So I simply purchased it another time. 5 Bucks don't make a big difference and are not worth the waiting.