Skip to content

Downloading SoD Limited Connectivity

DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
Heey

So excited to play the new expansion! I have purchased through Beamdog Client, where my other games are.

Client says the game is ready to download, however "Limited Connectivity: One or more games can't be download" message appears. 0 B of 15 B progress.

Are servers under heavy load atm, or am I doing something wrong?

https://dropbox.com/s/kk08389kk4wyef0/beamdog_2016-03-31-17_42_09-.jpg?dl=0

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    edited March 2016
    They're just trolling you.

It wont be released for a few hours.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    I like Trolls.. but on this day? Trolls are enemy!
    But thanks for info Elendar.. I regret so much not taking a day off tomorrow from work.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    In the meantime, brave warrior @Dafojk, you can update your BG:EE and BG2:EE to the most recent update v2.0.
    Great idea kind sir
  • ForgottenMythForgottenMyth Member Posts: 60
    having trouble maintaining a connection to beamdog's servers to download the game and also the beamdog client keeps crashing. Managed to get to about 50% but no further
  • tobajastobajas Member Posts: 77
    edited March 2016
    Well I have so far only managed something close 20% after a bit over an hour. My download rate is jumping back and forth from 2kb - 200 kb while it it mostly staying in the 30-40 kb/s. This is with the beamdog downloader. So expected download rate is anywhere between 8 hours - 2 days :disappointed:
    My connectivity is 100/100 mb also the "turbo" mode is enabled but doesn't seem to do anything for me.
    edited March 2016
    hopefully it'll clear up as more people finish downloading, most of us will probably have it by the end of the day

Im curious about how many are trying to download this right now
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    If beamdog has their own platform for downloading a game and offers only preorders there and it is late with selling anywhere else one would expect they would provide better connection speeds for that service.
    This is unacceptable. This is last game I buy directly from Beamdog.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    those are strange criteria for judging a game and a developer ... it's a bit annoying, yes, but "unacceptable"? :smile:
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229

those are strange criteria for judging a game and a developer ... it's a bit annoying, yes, but "unacceptable"? :smile:

Compared to Steam and GoG it is unacceptable. If they are forcing us to use their download service, they better provide some decent service. having download between 200 b/s and 100 kb/s is not decent.
    It is hilariously bad.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    no one is forced to do anything ...
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364

having trouble maintaining a connection to beamdog's servers to download the game and also the beamdog client keeps crashing. Managed to get to about 50% but no further

You lucky basssst¡ after two hours i am still at 3%¡
    Torin said:

Compared to Steam and GoG it is unacceptable. If they are forcing us to use their download service, they better provide some decent service. having download between 200 b/s and 100 kb/s is not decent.
    It is hilariously bad.
    You should see it as a painful way of helping the developer financially. The best the developer does, the better for us.

• GhavGrimGhavGrim Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2016
    ...wait, you're saying you won't buy another game from them?
    ...so if they came up with IcewindDale4...you would care not a whit? Really?
    Faced with the harrowing prospect of having to spend almost a whole day downloading the thing, you'd rather just walk away?

...Kiddo, did you ever try installing Wing Commander with the speech pack from floppy disk?
    It was worth it.

...That being said - the installer has crashed 3 times on me 262MB of 3.7GB, 19-100kb/s.
    So I'm going to pack up my shtick and go to bed - I'm sure they'll have addressed that by tomorrow evening.
    World won't end in the meantime.

Poor show, Beamdog, try to get it right next time.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    He said he wouldn't buy another game directly from Beamdog, which means purchasing through alternate platforms (such as Steam or GOG), not foregoing their games altogether.
    helmo1977 said:

You lucky basssst¡ after two hours i am still at 3%¡
    Torin said:

It is hilariously bad.
    You should see it as a painful way of helping the developer financially. The best the developer does, the better for us.

not as lucky as u think.. every time the client crashes i have to start all over from the beginning of the download
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    Yep, last time I buy directly from Beamdog myself. GOG or Steam from now on. Beamdog just can't hack it in this area, as proven by each EE they've released. Even outside of release day, they are painfully slow.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Everyone gets so upset when a game downloads slowly on launch day, or has connectivity issues, or whatever. Well I've never had that not happen with any game ever, and thinking about the spike in traffic on the first day, which will probably never again be repeated, I can't for the life of me see how any game company could justify beefing up their servers to handle it. So yes, I want the game sooner, but I find blaming Beamdog for slow download speeds to be a bit ridiculous.
    edited March 2016
    Jarrakul said:

Everyone gets so upset when a game downloads slowly on launch day, or has connectivity issues, or whatever. Well I've never had that not happen with any game ever, and thinking about the spike in traffic on the first day, which will probably never again be repeated, I can't for the life of me see how any game company could justify beefing up their servers to handle it. So yes, I want the game sooner, but I find blaming Beamdog for slow download speeds to be a bit ridiculous.

Perhaps it is, but if you're a company that offers a digital product, delivered digitally...your delivery better be up to snuff. Their's isn't. It's available elsewhere, so kudos to them there, but frankly they should scrap their own delivery medium (because it's awful) and just stick with GOG and Steam who have back-ends that can cope with massive volume at all times.
    Except theirs works fine 99% of the time. It's only like this when products get launched. I'm not sure what you expect them to do about increased loads, except buy a ton more servers for the sake of one day.
    edited March 2016
    Jarrakul said:

Except theirs works fine 99% of the time. It's only like this when products get launched. I'm not sure what you expect them to do about increased loads, except buy a ton more servers for the sake of one day.

Oh it works, just far too slow. Even outside of a release of patches or new version, it's far too slow (compared to GOG or Steam).

I wouldn't expect them to buy a ton more servers either. I'm surprised they even have this capability in the first place when GOG and Steam are superior delivery platforms.

In any event, first world problem, first world whining from me and others. :wink: I still intend to buy Beamdog stuff if they make more, just not directly from them again.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Jarrakul said:

That is literally how dynamic server capacity works. Companies like Amazon, via their A9 service, offer this as do a host of other.. hosts. This is the baseline expectation of a digital content provider- to be able to scale capacity to demand, dynamically, so that it doesn't result in an undue burden on customers or a company's operational budget.

• zealerzealer Member Posts: 30
    Jarrakul said:

Are you joking man? If you buy it on Steam or on GoG, I bet you'll not have download speed issues, and while they are bigger companies with better infrastructure there are other ways to remedy this kind of issue like pre-load for example. This is unacceptable.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Now i am getting the limited connectivity problem again
  • MasterAeschylusMasterAeschylus Member Posts: 11
    Just settle pettles.... IWD4 IM ON IT !!!
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    It's not like larger game companies never have problems on release date...

agris said:

That is literally how dynamic server capacity works. Companies like Amazon, via their A9 service, offer this as do a host of other.. hosts. This is the baseline expectation of a digital content provider- to be able to scale capacity to demand, dynamically, so that it doesn't result in an undue burden on customers or a company's operational budget.

I've love to know more about this, because as I've said, I've literally never seen a game company, large or small, meet server demand on launch day. That doesn't sound much like a baseline expectation to me.

Also, for people noting that Steam and GOG can handle the demand... yes, they can. Because they're digital distribution services. They handle literally thousands of gaming communities. Launch days are regular occurrences for them, and are much smaller spikes compared to their normal traffic, so it makes financial sense for them to build a server infrastructure that can handle that. If you're wishing you'd purchased the game from a distribution service, I can understand that. If you're blaming Beamdog because you didn't realize the inherent tradeoffs in buying a game from a game company instead of a digital distribution service, I don't really know what to tell you, but that doesn't sound like Beamdog's fault.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    I am so furious now too. I yelled at my Grandmoma and demanded she make me extra Pizza puffs and warned my mom to make sure absolutely none of the brown crust was left uncut on my sandwich. Now I am in my basement waiting on the download. It was so slow before I ran up to my little sisters room to make sure she was not downloading any One Direction beach shots. She was not but it turned out she was playing Pretty Princess Inland Adventure Online. I told her to stop she did not- so I gave her ten dollars and told her to go hang out at the 7/11.

Just as I typed my sister came back with a slushee and it is still not downloaded. I am going to tell my mom to make her mow the lawn since it is her turn and I need the bandwidth.

I can not believe I told the assistant manager I needed today and tomorrow off since I just changed the grease on the firer and that is the best time to eat the odd shaped chick nuggets.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I've been sitting at 3.7 BG of 3.7 GB with a speed from 400 to 700 B/s now for about 30 minutes. Some of these days! :D
    Well, just saw the thread about steam users and how it is now available there and everyone is happily playing SoD. Looks like im spending another 20 bucks, so be it...