Skip to content

Once you go Cloudkill you never go back

I mean just wow... could there possibly be a better spell in BG series?
The fact you can get this from a wand as soon as chapter 1 is just icing on the cake.
Cloudkill can be used without fail to absolutely destroy any non lich mage encounter be it SCSII or not. The fact is, mages CANNOT make themselves immune to its effect and the poison damage no matter if they are level 20+ with one million prebuffs. This ensures they will get disrupted forever. And it can be stacked. Doesn't matter if they have enough AI to know when to move out of the cloudkills of doom, you can just fill the entire area with more and more and MORE Cloudkills from wands! No need to rest, take that Vance! And they can be recharged too.
It's a reason I don't even bother with dispels. Dispeling a spellcaster in SCSII is far too annoying and time consuming. They know when to cast improved invis, many might start with protections of a level you can't even dispel when you meet them at the first time, you have to deal with their prebuffed/contingecy/sequencer simulacra and projected images and SI:Abjuration and SI:Divination and gods know what else and usually by the time you actually get to dispel them they have already cast a lot of high powered spells, like the damned first round Time Stop.
SO much easier and satisfying to just watch them melt away from poison as their spells fumble and fumble.
And don't forget its secondary uses! Instantly killing a lot of enemies including some trolls and umber hulks? Yes, please!

Comments

• cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    Vanilla Mirror Image would have worked quite well to defend against Cloudkill. Now AoE spell absorption spells are needed or a Protection from Poison that mages can cast.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    My personal 'I-don't-want-to-bother' strategy in the late game: Chain Contingency -> 3x Incendiary Cloud -> Enemy Sighted -> Nearest Enemy.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited March 2016
    For me, I very often run into issues with cloud spells in general that border on or cross over into what I personally label "AI abuse" and try not to do. This includes things like "hotboxing" (open door, cast cloud, close door, wait) or simply knowing the enemy won't move out (even with SCS they sometimes just don't, particularly when they have someone to attack that's juuuust outside of the cloud).

SR definitely does a lot to address this, as does Nightmare Mode, to a degree (fights lasting longer than cloud duration), but I still exercise a lot of caution when using these types of spells.

That's all just personal preference, though. Using clouds to interrupt is a powerful, valid strategy. It also works with spells like Meteor Swarm, Firestorm, or Storm of Vengeance (some of which actually ignore MR, too). Note however that with SCS (and other mods) you regularly come across scripted spells that you cannot interrupt with damage in the first place, making this tactic a bit less of a big deal.
    Post edited by Lord_Tansheron on
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Actually I tried once the multiple on-going AoE on my android phone.
    The game went from 30 to like 5 FPS (no FPS skipping though, simply slower than normal with rounds lasting forever etc...)
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I don't always hold to it, but generally I only use cloudkill as a lower level substitute for death spell. Against anything tougher than an umber hulk, I'll try killing it fair and square first.
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    I play with the house rule that I can't stack cloudkill.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    I like my women how I like my spells - large and gassy.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited March 2016
    Like @Artemius_I, I like Incendiary Cloud better.
    It does more damage and you can easily make your own characters immune to it.

If you want to see how destructive it can be, I advice you to take a look at my "Children of Fire" playthrough to see me kill almost everything in the game with that spell, including Adalon, Kargaax, Twisted Rune and even Irenicus.

Base reciepe:
    - Make your party members immune to fire (I have 5 permanently immune)
    - Prepare a Chain Contingency with 3 Incendiary Clouds
    - Summon some Mordenkanein's Swords for the lulz
    - Grab some pop corn and let the automated IA do the rest

Add just some spice for the hardest foes, like some Lower Resistances on Irenicus
    Moonheart said:

Like @Artemius_I, I like Incendiary Cloud better.

No doubt, however it is a higher level spell and has no wand of it available. Cloudkill is much more readily available, which is why it's used a lot more. No one says it's better (it's not).
  • RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Another problem with Incendiary Cloud is that about 99% of SCSII mages always start protected from fire so they won't take any damage from it. It comes soo, soooo late in SOA too.
    I do love a nice Firestorm against beholders, mindflayers or drow though.
    IIRC Firestorm ignores MR, so it's a very useful spell even against some of the hardest fights.

Can't remember 100% but I think it was involved in me finally beating Eclipse for the first time, back in the day (of course that was partly also because you could not cast cloud spells in the area).
    edited April 2016
    RedWizard said:

Another problem with Incendiary Cloud is that about 99% of SCSII mages always start protected from fire so they won't take any damage from it.

As I explained in my playthrough, this is not even an issue: Once caught into a DoT area spell any spellcaster is a dead meat if it cannot resist the spell, because even being immune to the damage doesn't prevent you to be interrupted.

The only threats that exist once you start to abuse "cloud" spells are:
    - magic resistant spellcasters (they don't get interrupted if they resist the spell... but this is solved by a Spell Trigger with Lower Resistance x3 or a Fire Storm)
    - physical opponents that can withstand the cloud long enough to prove to be a threat

And this is on this last kind of threat that Incendiary Cloud is vastly superior to Cloudkill, because it's quite easy to render all your companions permanently immune to fire, and thus, allow them to fight under the cloud without taking a single damage.

So, yes, it comes later than Cloudkill, but the OP asked us : "could there possibly be a better spell?"
    My answer is "There is. It's called Incendiary Cloud"
    And Firestorm is better too, just not as good as IC
    Post edited by Moonheart on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thankfully, the 2.0 patch gives us concentration checks so this type of silliness doesn't happen. :smiley:

Is there any information about how those checks are going to be calculated?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Love the title of the thread and quite agree with the OP.

Find myself in real life muttering about "cloud kill" when in a large crowd or queue for something.

Note however that with SCS (and other mods) you regularly come across scripted spells that you cannot interrupt with damage in the first place,

I'm pretty sure SCS does not do this.
    Moonheart said:

As I explained in my playthrough, this is not even an issue: Once caught into a DoT area spell any spellcaster is a dead meat if it cannot resist the spell, because even being immune to the damage doesn't prevent you to be interrupted.

Thankfully, the 2.0 patch gives us concentration checks so this type of silliness doesn't happen. :smiley:
    Not sure concentration checks belong in a game such as BG where spells are really, REALLY powerful and mages already have one gorillion ways of protecting themselves against literally almost everything besides poison.
    Anyways there is always a chance they'll cast the spell despite how many hits they take, so pretty sure there was already some sort of check in place.
  • GreenstoneGreenstone Member Posts: 13
    RedWizard said:

could there possibly be a better spell in BG series?

Yes (sort-of).

Web + Cloudkill.

• ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited April 2016
    SCS foes attempt to move out of the cloud before casting most of the time (not always). If there's a priest around, he casts Zone of Sweet Air. Bye bye cloudkill.

Cloudkill exploits is one of the reasons why SCS has become essential; without it too many foes/fights are a joke.
    I'm not sure, but it seems that the Zone of Sweet Air doesn't work on Incendiary Cloud... at least, my Viconia fails at dispelling my own ICs

It will, I just checked the v2.0 release notes and here is what is wrote about that:

Spellcasting Failure (16669)
    The way that spellcasters fail after taking damage has
    been externalized to CONCENTR.2da. By default, any
    damage a spellcaster takes will cause them to fail their
    spellcasting.
    CHECK_MODE
    0 Any damage
    1 (1d20 + luck) vs. (spell level + damage taken)
    2 (1d20 + Concentration ) vs. (15 + spell level)

So, it means:
    - in an unmodded game (CHECK_MODE=0) nothing will change compared to the current behavior
    - in a moded game with (CHECK_MODE=1) you will still have chance to get interrupted if you take 0 damage, just less chances
    - in a modded game with (CHECK_MODE=2) you will be as much interrupted by taking 0 damage than taking 100 damage

=> Conclusion: stacking clouds of any kind will still be a powerful way to disable opponents spellcasters in 2.0

SCS foes attempt to move out of the cloud before casting most of the time (not always). If there's a priest around, he casts Zone of Sweet Air. Bye bye cloudkill.

Cloudkill exploits is one of the reasons why SCS has become essential; without it too many foes/fights are a joke.

They will attempt to move out of the way. But as I said nothing stopping you from just covering the entire room so they can't escape the clouds of doom while also sending a tanky warrior to get their attention with a ring of regen
    I'll stick with IC. It cannot easily be dispelled by a Zone of Sweet Air, and my warriors are all fire immune.
  • searsear Member Posts: 2
    It depends. Cloud-style spells are super powerful and useful, but also easy to misuse because they deny the area to your own party. The "use Cloudkill, close door" strategy is definitely viable but it has its weak points depending on the environment you are in.

There are also situations where enemies have so much health that stacking Cloudkill doesn't work, or takes a long time to take effect, where other approaches would be faster and easier (like just storming the gates with a few buffed melee fighters).

Of course, relying on any one spell constantly is pretty cheesy no matter what it is. You can do it, but it's often not that much fun. You might as well play on easy mode if you want that approach. The Infinity Engine games are great at player-driven difficulty - you can always fall back to the cheese if you need to, but it's probably not the most enjoyable way to play.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited April 2016
    RedWizard said:

They will attempt to move out of the way. But as I said nothing stopping you from just covering the entire room so they can't escape the clouds of doom while also sending a tanky warrior to get their attention with a ring of regen

You make it sound like filling the place with cloudkills is instantaneous; if you're willing to take the time (several rounds) to fill the entire say, 2nd floor of the guarded compound in the Temple District with cloudkills, then by all means. Definitely cheesy vs vanilla ai, but vs SCS ai, chances are good that'll mean a few spells go off (some via contingencies and triggers) while what's his name at least tries to walk out of a cloud and cast Zone of Sweet Air; who're you going to target with the additional clouds, the cleric or the mage? With SCS all that's needed for a high level mage like Sion to do some nasty business is a round or two, it's still no guaranteed win if you're relying solely on this as your tactic, not to mention quite a few foes are immune to cloudkill.

Incendiary Cloud is an entirely different matter; if you have the means to coat the room with lvl 8 spells while being immune to it then chances of a win are pretty good no matter what; nothing remarkable about that.
    edited April 2016
    It's not really that hard.
    Cloudkill from wands is pretty much instantaneous. And you can have about what, 3-4 wands?
    So yeah, you can already fill the entire room just by having 3-4 characters capable of using the wand. And considering how mage parties are already favored in BG2...
    It's especially easy in the guarded compouded because you can immediately spam the wands as soon as you go up the stairs.
    The contingencies and triggers and stuff aren't exactly a problem during the very first rounds of combat because they usually are protective spells(none of which block poison) or Horrid Wilting which is centered at the caster so easy to avoid as the mages start far away. What's REALLY a problem is the mages getting a time stop off as their first cast, the cloudkill wands have 99% of preventing that.
    The cleric that can dispel the clouds cannot protect himself against physical blows so all you have to do is send a poison immune and hasted fighter after him.
    You may call it cheese but then again I also find it rather cheesy that enemy mages are ALWAYS ridiculously overleveled compared to your party when you first meet them in BG2. Many also have absurd stats like Tolgerias in the Planar Sphere having about 100+ HP for a MAGE. The Prison Warden? Has class levels of XP worth of what you can only get in ToB by being a multi fighter/mage. Even Yuan ti mages having sequencers despite the fact you meet them super duper early. Basically you spent the entire game fighting level 15-19+ mages while your party is still 12-14 or so unless you delay most quests for the final chapter after you get back from UD.
    This wasn't exactly a problem in default BG2 because while they were overleveled they didn't have their their entire spellbook filled with literally all buffs you can imagine, many of which are prebuffed or stacked into contingencies, not to mention being able to perfectly chain a Contingency to get PFMW the moment the first wears off while you cannot do the same. That is the case with SCSII.