Skip to content

Beamdog client is not responding

Each time I launch the Beamdog client to download either patch or SoD program stops working after few seconds on my Windows 10. Is there another possibility for download? Torrent for example?

Comments

• misiekbemisiekbe Member Posts: 17
    Are you using any VPN? Had the same thing and when I shut down all my VPN's it is working now just fine.
  • karlsteggerkarlstegger Member Posts: 19
    My Beamdog client just says "getting download info" but nothing at all happens :( Anyone else experiencing this? And I am not using any VPN.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I can only offer the standard responses: Try rebooting your computer and trying again. If it continues to crash, you might consider blowing away the game directory and uninstalling the beamdog client and then re-installing the beamdog client just to see if there's some corruption.

Note that there are a lot of reported problems with the beamdog client having slow downloads and / or failing to download at this point...also some crashing issues are being reported as well that (as far as I can tell from hearsay) seems to be related to download speeds and overly congested servers?

I'm not the expert in this one, but in case you hadn't thought of the basics, I thought I'd pop in.
    Thanks for your reply. I have rebooted but haven't tried re-installing my beamdog client. I'll give it a try:) If not working I'll try uninstalling my BG-games and install them again.
    I deleted BG:EE and BG2:EE and started DL BG:EE again. Download for SoD is still not available, however, so perhaps the server is the problem:( This sucks bigtime when I just wanna get rolling.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I don't think the uninstall / reinstall of the bg games will be needed. The client and the games are not coupled together other than at download/patch time...so if the launcher is crashing the only thing that could be affecting that would be the game it's attempting to download...the others aren't a potential source for the crash I don't think.

First try closing the beamdog client, deleting the Status file in the \BeamDog\Games folder...it'll be something like ###.beam and ###.status for the number of the game in question, and then re-downloading.
    well I don't think either but now I have tried it. BG: EE is downloading as we speak. Hopefully it will help but not overly optimistic about it. Again, thanks for taking your time to try and help out.
    And now it stopped too - must be servers:(
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    My Beamdog client keeps crashing as well. :(
    I already tried deleting ###.beam file. I couln't find a ###.status file.

Anything I can do?
    Anyone?
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Open these ports both as TCP and UDP on your firewall:
    http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/BeamDog.htm

I was having the same problème and then realized through download details button the Beamdog client uses a P2P protocol. You need to make a NAT rule in your firewall to open these external ports to the private IP you use for your downloading computer. Download speed was multiplied by 15 in my case.
    Morrandirr
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    looks like I have troubles too with Beamdog

I haven't purchased Dragonspear (yet) but the update is available. So I was ready to download it but here in Beamdog I have "Download paused, click to resume", nothing happens when clicking on it...
    The thing is I hadn't probs at all when downlaoding BG1EE/2EE/IWDEE , and one day, it started to bug, and since this day I can't download anything on the client....

But I can from my laptop, so i'm not sure in my case this comes from my internet settings
  • HarielHariel Member Posts: 18
    Thank you all for your help :) I think I had connection issues as it's working when I'm using different internet provider. Mine is blocking everything that is possible to block -.-
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Seldar said:

looks like I have troubles too with Beamdog

I haven't purchased Dragonspear (yet) but the update is available. So I was ready to download it but here in Beamdog I have "Download paused, click to resume", nothing happens when clicking on it...
    The thing is I hadn't probs at all when downlaoding BG1EE/2EE/IWDEE , and one day, it started to bug, and since this day I can't download anything on the client....

But I can from my laptop, so i'm not sure in my case this comes from my internet settings

Check if your router does not use a firewall or access control list. If you open the game details and right click the pause download button you will see if it succeed to catch the download servers. It is using unusual ports which may be blocked by your router. The following ports (5672, 6969, 49152) should be opened as both TCP and UDP port. Otherwise the beamdog client will regularly be stuck trying to catch a server on these ports and wait for an answer that is blocked by your router or firewall.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    The servers are having a bit of a wobbly day. The launch of SoD and the patches at the same time seems to have totally overwhelmed them!

Just bear with it for the moment, it should improve fairly soon.

Fingers crossed! :D
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Thank God my download is fine now; was busy all day long (i'm italian so it's friday evening now) but tomorrow I WANT TO PLAY. Just ten minutes more... #crossedfingers
    Matthieu said:

Open these ports both as TCP and UDP on your firewall:
    http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/publishers/BeamDog.htm

I was having the same problème and then realized through download details button the Beamdog client uses a P2P protocol. You need to make a NAT rule in your firewall to open these external ports to the private IP you use for your downloading computer. Download speed was multiplied by 15 in my case.

Thanks.
    Didn't think of that. It's always a hassle when sitting behind 2 routers. I don't know for sure if my ports now are really open (online checkers say no), but the SoD has loaded quickly now.