Skip to content

CLUA console no longer work?

gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
Just realised I couldnt open the CLUA console tab and also baldur.ini is no longer found in the same folder.

Anyway to solve this?

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The new 2.0 games switched to a .lua file from a .ini file. It's a different format and a different file. Functions pretty much the same however.
    Vasculio
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Also all command need to start with
    C:
    instead of
    CLUAConsole:
    Clumsy_DwarfVasculioNeverusedRakhsev
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    That's a capital C, the command is case sensitive or at least the first letter is.
    cmk24Vasculio
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    Thanks guys for the help! :)
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Does enabling the CLUA Console turn off Steam achievements?
  • jmkarlssonjmkarlsson Member Posts: 30
    What program do I need to open .lua files?
  • WakukeeWakukee Member Posts: 106

What program do I need to open .lua files?

Notepad
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2016
    My Baldur.lua gets overwritten for some reason and the changes do no stick.

Edit: Well, they did stick after the third time I put them in... If you use a program that keeps track of the changes in the file like Notepad++, everytime you Alt-Tab out of the game the files gets changed.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Dorcus: We have not implemented draconian measures like other games have on limiting / turning off achievements if you use cheat functions such as the CLUA console.

To be honest, CLUA console has (in the past, we don't expect this with SoD) been the only way past some of the more game breaking bugs we've had in early releases of BG:EE and BG2:EE, eliminating achievements if you CLUA would be shooting ourselves in both feet...

We like our feet, we'd prefer not to do that.

.lua files can be modified in any standard editor, though I'm unsure about the line endings (you may need a programmer's editor like Notepad++ or something like WordPad if Notepad is opening it with no line breaks...it's been a long while since I've used much else besides Notepad++ or Textpad).

The baldur.lua file will get overwritten (I believe) any time options is accessed. If you edit the LUA file with the game exited, and then open the game, you should not have the overwrite issue.
    axellsladeArcalianmf2112Rathenau
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    baldur.lua does indeed not open correctly in Notepad, use Wordpad instead.
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    Illydth said:

The baldur.lua file will get overwritten (I believe) any time options is accessed. If you edit the LUA file with the game exited, and then open the game, you should not have the overwrite issue.

Thanks for the info!

• DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Oh, wow, that's really forward thinking. Thanks for the info. (I'm terrified to even monkey around a little with Sword Coast Legends because I don't want a VAC ban.)
  • Kai50Kai50 Member Posts: 59
    Hi I recently installed SOD and after not being able to get the cluaconsole working checked here, found the lua file checked in there and it already contains the SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') line so I am confused as to what to do next...
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Kai50 said:

Hi I recently installed SOD and after not being able to get the cluaconsole working checked here, found the lua file checked in there and it already contains the SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') line so I am confused as to what to do next...

That is what I have in my baldur.lua file and I just hit Ctl-space and the console opens up.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Ctrl-space might have issues if you are using an azerty keyboard, or if you have non-english Windows, because Windows traps that function for language purposes.

http://superuser.com/questions/327479/ctrl-space-always-toggles-chinese-ime-windows-7
    mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

That is what I have in my baldur.lua file and I just hit Ctl-space and the console opens up.
    mine opens up too but the codes don't work. I am assuming the codes for the the original games still work in sod? I tried to get the boots of speed (Boot01) and it said it didn't exist. so I tried to do it again in EE and it still didn't work. ever since I updated the codes no longer work :(
    edited May 2016
    Kai50 said:

mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

mine opens up too but the codes don't work. I am assuming the codes for the the original games still work in sod? I tried to get the boots of speed (Boot01) and it said it didn't exist. so I tried to do it again in EE and it still didn't work. ever since I updated the codes no longer work :(
    Are you using the new format? C:CreateItem("boot01")

CLUAConsole: has been replaced with C:

Everything still works fine in SoD as far as I can tell with the console.
    mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

yeah I know about the C: been using it in EE after all. unless the items are lower case sensitive the only difference is that is that I used a capital B
    Kai50 said:

mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

yeah I know about the C: been using it in EE after all. unless the items are lower case sensitive the only difference is that is that I used a capital B
    I just checked in SoD and I get the same boots of speed when using "boot01" or "Boot01". If you go to game options, are you on v 2.1.63.2?
    mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

mf2112 said:

Kai50 said:

I just checked in SoD and I get the same boots of speed when using "boot01" or "Boot01". If you go to game options, are you on v 2.1.63.2?
    ugh sorry its ok I figured it out. I had it written out wrong. its been a while since I played and I remembered it wrong xD
    mf2112
  • Sinister01Sinister01 Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2016
    I've entered 'SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')' in my baldur.lua file, and now the "console" does indeed open up. However, it won't let me type anything: it appears to be giving me options for GiveGold, Godbow, GiveXP, and Travel. However, I don't seem to be able to type anything in for other commands. Am I missing something stupid here? Edit: Nevermind, I'm apparently blind.
    mf2112
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Did everyone manage to call up and use their console after reading this thread?
  • AwakenedTreeAwakenedTree Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2016
    I've been unable to get any changes I make to the file to stick. Once I launch the game, it reverts back to it's unedited version. I've tried editing it on the desktop and then moving it back to it's original location. No luck at all so far. I haven't been attempting to edit with the game open, and even tried editing while steam was closed.

Just tried locking the file after editing. The changes remain after launch, but the situation with the console remains the same. Been at this for hours now. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm running the game via steam on macOS sierra (10.12.1)
  • HawaiinouHawaiinou Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2017
    I m in the same situation of AwakenedTree (previous post) ...

Looking for a solution ...

plz if you find it, share :)

Maybe it s something with the .cloud save files ?
    Post edited by Hawaiinou on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2017
    Make sure you aren't using a program that uses smart quotes. Ideally I would stick with programs like Notepad++, ConTEXT, or Atom. So (in the case of macs) if you are using like textedit then make sure smart quotes are disabled.
  • HawaiinouHawaiinou Member Posts: 3
    Ok I did it !!!

I tried o lot of things
    (bc I didnt want to rebuild my entire team :D)

And :

The Game Option is activated when you level up.
    I level up a cleric and i get plenty of spells !!!

Hourra ! :) (what a quest !)
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    Guys how about after modmerge, can the old method of clua console works after modmerge?
  • DCopey86DCopey86 Member Posts: 1
    Running on a Mac. I was never able to find a baldur.lua file. I did find and am able to open and edit a baldur.ini file. When I add SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') I am unable to get the console to open. When I edit it to 'Program Options','Debug Mode','1' I am able to get the console to open but I receive get errors and nothing happens. Any suggestions?
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    DCopey86 said:

Running on a Mac. I was never able to find a baldur.lua file. I did find and am able to open and edit a baldur.ini file. When I add SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1') I am unable to get the console to open. When I edit it to 'Program Options','Debug Mode','1' I am able to get the console to open but I receive get errors and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

From what you wrote, I can conclude two things:

1. there's no baldur.lua but there's a baldur.ini

ergo you are running a pre version 2.0 Baldur's Gate game

2. the console opens but you get error and nothing happens:

ergo: you are typing the wrong commands

For help, post:

a. what you were trying to change?
    b. exactly what command you did type in?