Skip to content

Was the German dub for BG:EE forgotten?

As some of you may know, BG:EE received a German voice-over some time ago. Its quality was also top notch.
To the point where one could argue that it even surpassed the original BG1 cast.

Now, you can probably understand my shock when I realized that SoD's BG:EE copy apparently misses these very audio files when the German language is selected. I'm really hoping that this is not intended and that the dub was simply "forgotten" to be included. Would be a damn shame otherwise.

Or, in a nutshell:
Gimme back my Plattdüütsch~
:tired_face:
ButtercheeseHurricane

Comments

• chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    That is a damn shame. I did a playthrough in German once, I was impressed by the effort (and quite disappointed when I realised it didn't carry over to BG2..)

I think the problem is that there is no German audio (yet?) for the expansion, so it might be difficult to include the localisation files without having half an english translation...
    Kamigoroshi
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    I stepped into the role of localization coordinator this year and it's taken me a while to get caught up. I didn't realize there was a German audio translation ready to go. I'll track it down and get it into the next update on April 14. Sorry about that!
    KamigoroshiButtercheeselolien
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Yaaay, we are getting our dub back :D Thank you!
    Kamigoroshi
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    @Kamigoroshi @Buttercheese Can you please tell me whether you are using the Beamdog, Steam, or GOG version of SoD? We are looking into which of the platforms are affected.
    Buttercheese
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I currently use Beamdog's SoD Digital Deluxe stand-alone launcher. No German dub here.
    Prior to that, I had Beamdog's BGEE (1.3) stand-alone launcher installed. That one had the German dub.
  • WhiteAgnusWhiteAgnus Member Posts: 112
    @Hurricane,
    I own SoD on Steam, GoG and Beamdog and the german voice is only missing on Beamdog... ;)
    Kamigoroshi
    @Hurricane
    I am using the Beamdog versions for all the games.
  • HurricaneHurricane Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 730
    Thank you all. :) We have identified the issue and will get it sorted for the next update.
    Kamigoroshi[Deleted User]
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    Just to clarify this issue...

I bought SoD directly via Beamdog and i have a rather mixed version of english/german.
    Right now, all text is english, apart from some words, eg. "night" is for some reason translated to "Nacht". Creatures apparent in BG:EE are also translated (eg. most of the animals) but some are english (guess the new added)
    Most VO is english, but some (i guess old soundbites) are german.
    Fresh install without mods ofc.

Will there be a fully translated german version including voiced lines?
  • chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    It would be so good to have the entire story playable in German... probably not easy to get all the voice actors though :(

Does anyone know where the German audio from BG1 originates form? Was it available in 1998 or did it get recorded for the EE versions?
    Just to clarify this issue...

I bought SoD directly via Beamdog and i have a rather mixed version of english/german.
    Right now, all text is english, apart from some words, eg. "night" is for some reason translated to "Nacht". Creatures apparent in BG:EE are also translated (eg. most of the animals) but some are english (guess the new added)
    Most VO is english, but some (i guess old soundbites) are german.
    Fresh install without mods ofc.

Will there be a fully translated german version including voiced lines?

ButtercheeseHerrderGezeiten
    Wait, why are we discussing SoD here? I thought this was about the old dubs of of BG1 and BG2 being implemented back into the EEs?
    Because this is the SoD forum? ;)

Granted my issue might not be what @Kamigoroshi had in mind, but i thought my observed issues would fit quite well in here
    Hmm, SoD didn't include a german translation, BG(1):EE was translated into german and also got a german dub, the german dub of BG(1):EE is missing in the SoD Version... ;)
    ButtercheeseKamigoroshi
    edited April 2016
    @WhiteAgnus what exactly do you mean by german dub? Because i still got some minor NPCs speaking their VO lines in german. But as far as i can tell, those are all the original BG lines. Eg Yeslick is complete with german dub. For eg. Rasaad, everything (text and dub) was english.
    @KampfKaninchen,
    did you play the Beamdog version? The steam and GoG version got the german BG1:EE Dub, only the Beamdog version is missing it, that's what is discussed in this thread... ;)
    @WhiteAgnus äähm ;)

[quote]I bought SoD directly via Beamdog and i have a rather mixed version of english/german.[/quote]

I was just wondering what exactly is meant by "german dub". Guess the new content/companions voiced lines. And yes they do not seem to be implemented. But also the text is rather mixed up.
    "Söldner der Flammenden Faust" standing directly besides some "Scout of the Flaming Fist" is somewhat weird, but ofc nothing drastic, but the constant switching between some german voiced lines and english ones is really irritating for my taste.
    @KampfKaninchen,

hmm, the german dub for BG1:EE (not SoD) is not included on the beamdog version, if your game is set to german and you start SoD, it's normal if some things are german (because they was german in BGEE, because BGEE and SoD uses the same tlk file... ;))
    All new content is in english, because it's not translated currently... :p
    Yes that's what i thought im fine with that, as i expected it to be.

I was just confused and happily excited that @Amber_Scott mentioned a "German audio translation ready to go." So i wanted to know, if SoD will actually be playable in german. Text and audio.
    @Buttercheese @Hurricane @Amber_Scott @chilvence @WhiteAgnus @KampfKaninchen

So I did redownload BG:EE again to see if I could not somehow manually add the German dub into SoD.
    I took a quick look at 00766/lang/de_DE and saw the folders "data", "movies", "override", and most importantly "sound". Then I opened SoD's 00806/lang/de_DE folder and saw it only had the dialogue.tlk and dialogueF.tlk files. My curiousity got the better of me and I simply past/copied the 4 aforementioned folders in here (not the .tlk files themselves). After booting up the game under the German language and starting a new playthrough, I had my answer:

The conclusion:
    MY GUT FEELING WAS RIGHT! YAY~!
    • Baldur's Gate intro was voiced in German!
    • The Narrator read the Candlekeep prologue in German (more or less)!
    • The NPC's inside and outside of Candlekeep also talked in German!
    • Female: Aggressive -> Female: Tough were fully in German!
    • Male: Impatient -> Male: Brute were also fully in German!

Of course, there were a couple of rather strange mix ups as well.
    • The Narrator's voice within the prologue had his first lines replaced with what sounded like town cryers.
    • Female: Relaxed -> Female: Scholarly was spoken in English.
    • Male: Commanding -> Male: Jovial was also spoken in English.
    • Female DEFAULT voice's very first line was "Möge Viconia's Seele in der Hölle schmoren!" ("May Viconia's soul burn in hell!")... and was spoken by a male, no less.
    • At least one of Imoen's lines was replaced with "Good to see you rum dukes again". Or at least I think she said rum dukes. :sweat_smile:
    But, anyway, this "hotfix" method should at least keep Beamdog's German SoD players happy until the next patch goes live. :smiley:
    Buttercheese
    edited April 2016
    So I've updated my copy of SoD to 2.1.63.2, booted up a new BG:EE game with the German language selected and... nothing. All voices, whenever from voicesets or NPC's, were still in English. No traces of the German dub can be found.

Now I'm sad. :cry: