Skip to content

Please fix scrolling at the edge of areas

I really like most of the new UI features. One thing I can't stand is that when scrolling to the edge of maps rather than stop at the edge it keeps going until halfway along the screen.

Please, please can you revert this as it looks absolutely horrible and ugly. When I'm exploring it makes it hard to see when you've got to the edge of the area and it completely breaks immersion to have half your screen full of black nothingness.

Comments

• Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I just noticed this was in to a certain extent in 1.3 when going to the bottom with the text box, but it was much less noticeable there. The current effect looks absolutely horrible as it's a). on every border as opposed to just the bottom one and b). set to take up 50% of the space where before it was just the size that the text box occupied. Personally I'd rather they just did away with it and allowed the text box to sit over the bottom portion of the map as currently this ruins the aesthetics.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    First, let's maintain some perspective. It is now possible -- but not mandatory -- to move the map such that a larger part of your screen is dark. This is not a catastrophe.

Second, an advantage of doing it this way is that every point on the map can be at the center, so the map can stay centered on the same point when you zoom in and out. That's kind of nice. Also, especially on big screens, sometimes I want the thing I'm focused on to be near the center of my vision instead of in a corner.

If the text box covered up the bottom of the map, how would you click on something down there? I guess on PC you could hit h to hide the UI each time, but what about mobile devices?
    You may say it's not mandatory but actually it happens constantly especially when you're doing a lot of exploring on the smaller maps of Baldur's Gate 1. So I'm moving into an unexplored area and I've scrolled quite far. Oh great the border is actually much farther in now so now I need to scroll back great. Oh lovely that tree is just cut in half by a giant black border. When moving to other areas instead of just moving the mouse to the far screen edge I have to precisely find the ugly black border edge and click on that. It never used to happen on the side and top screens before only the bottom one.

The 1.3 functionality was much better aesthetically. I can see your point about being able to focus the screen on a particular point, but for me it's completely ruining my immersion to see giant straight black borders bisecting trees and cutting into areas. I keep thinking my characters are going to fall off the edge of box world.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    I have complained about this repeatedly and added a feature request in Redmine which I hope, hope, hope the developers will look into.

As mentioned above, thise black border breaks immersion and detracts from the beauty of the game.

Beamdog have done so much good with this game but I cannot understand how they think this is acceptable.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    I also want the black after edge of map to be removed. I want it back how it was in 1.3
    It is terrible at the moment.
    It's a pity because apart from this one thing I really, really like the new UI and 2.0 build.
  • PelmaleonPelmaleon Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Yes please. Of all the UI changes which remove some of the fantastical charm from the game, this one is probably the most immersion breaking.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited April 2016
    Mikey205 said:

I keep thinking my characters are going to fall off the edge of box world.

You shouldn't worry. It's hard to tell unless you turn your monitor's brightness way up, but the cosmic turtle is there to catch them
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I agree with this, right now, besides some bugs here and there, my main problems with the new version are those black borders and the missing scrolls when you press tab key.

I hope they fix this since it breaks inmersion a lot when things get cut off. I don't know how this was thought as acceptable. when you may be having at least half the screen as a black border.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    edited April 2016
    As someone who quite likes most of the changes with 2.0 (and stuff I don't like can be switched off), I agree with this one... It might be because I'm so used to how it was before but its really jarring when playing BGEE in that first area where elminster talks to you
    Post edited by Excalibur_2102 on
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136

As somehow who quite likes most of the changes with 2.0 (and stuff I don't like can be switched off), I agree with this one... It might be because I'm so used to how it was before but its really jarring when playing BGEE in that first area where elminster talks to you

Yes! You are conversing with Elminster and half the screen is black. It's mad! I'm fine with everything else (especially since you can turn the other stuff off).
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    This is kinda immersion breaking. Wish they would go back to the way it was.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    There must have been good reason - other than centering - to have made this change. Haven't been able to find any reference as to WHY it was done by a developer.

My guess is for tablets.

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Mikey205 said:

Space.... The Final Frontier.... These are the voyages of the starship sword coast
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229

It was a design decision and I don't know any more than that. But someone has raised a new ticket for it, so maybe we'll see a change later. :)

A terrible design decision than. I can get behind almost every change they did except this one. This one completely kills immersion.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.