Skip to content

Favourite BG1 NPCs to appear in BG2 ... THE POLL!

JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
(oh goody a new poll!)

A lot of people have been suggesting / demanding / discussing the return of BG1 NPCs to BG2:EE.
I think the general consensus is that it's NOT HAPPENING, but still, would be nice, am I right?
I added all the NPCs who have no presence in BG2 - so as to not conflict with Beamdog's contract to not change what's already there.

For me? Toss up between Eldoth, Shar-Teel and Skie.
Eldoth - an evil ba(sta)rd? Yes please
Shar-Teel - an evil fighter who can dual to thief? Yes please
Skie - a true class neutral thief? Yes please

There are a few issues though;
There are already a lot of 'healers' so Branwen and Yeslick are somewhat moot
There are already a lot of 'hitters' so Kivan and Shar-Teel are somewhat moot
Kagain has pretty much been replaced by Korgan
Skie would be an inferior (although more permanent) Yoshimo
And Alora (to a lesser extent Xan and Eldoth) suffer from bad stats in comparison to their BG2 counterparts
  1. Favourite BG1 NPCs to appear in BG2 ... THE POLL!347 votes
    1. Alora
        6.63%
    2. Branwen
        8.36%
    3. Eldoth
        4.03%
    4. Kagain
        2.59%
    5. Kivan
      15.56%
    6. Shar-Teel
      11.82%
    7. Skie
        4.61%
    8. Xan
      28.53%
    9. Yeslick
        9.80%
    10. No one
        8.07%
Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on

Comments

• GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Xan was a ton of fun in my opinion and with the lack of pure wizards in BG2 he'd fit right in. Especially if you wanted to play without any evil characters (I'm looking at you Edwin).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Kivan, then my next choice would likely be Kagain. Then Xan.

I really wish Safana's role in BG2 wasn't completely out-of-character and stupid. Seriously.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    So if Beamdog/Overhaul wanted to being back Yeslick, is that violating the contract they have with the powers that be? As opposed to introducing new characters?. I'm sure Boo would be confused.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Only a week ago I'd say Montaron, but just recently I discovered that its possible to find his body after Xzar's death. Before that I thought his whereabouts are unknown. Harpers are gonna suffer in my next playthrough.

Among these i'd chose Skie. There's a lack of both thieves and female NPCs in BG2.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Chippy said:

So if Beamdog/Overhaul wanted to being back Yeslick, is that violating the contract they have with the powers that be? As opposed to introducing new characters?. I'm sure Boo would be confused.

I don't believe it would violate their contract as Yeslick makes no appearance in BG2, they couldn't however, make Garrick, Safana or Ajantis into joinable NPCs because they're all scripted to do other things (the latter two are scripted to die).

I fail to understand what the attraction is to making brand new NPCs for BG2:EE when they already have credible and interesting characters in their arsenal from BG1 (all listed above).

• KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I was very tempted to say Kivan as he's my favorite BG1 NPC and a constant presence in my parties regardless of my PC's alignment. However, personal preference aside, he wouldn't bring that much to BG2. There are already two rangers present, and Mazzy can get up to grand mastery in bows while wearing heavy armor and being more useful in melee (not limited to just being proficient) so he'd be redundant both as a pure class and as an Archer if he's kitted (this would be the kit of choice IMO). Also in my experience rangers don't scale that well and aren't amazing late game.
    Xan on the other hand, beside a great personality and dialogue (imagine him paired with Jan for example) would be useful up until the end of ToB - mages are more powerful & handy the higher level they are. Also he could become a romantic interest for female PCs and would make a wonderful counterpart to Anomen / Dorn / Rasaad while wooing his lady-love. His stats can be upped (like Jaheira's were) so this shouldn't be a problem.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Toss-up between Yeslick and Xan. But I know Xan is more popular, so I voted Yeslick! =P

I mean, I want them both in my party, and Korgan is the only dwarf available in BG2, but is evil and a big no-no in my party. Besides, if I wanted a berserker, I wouldn't have taken Minsc. Xan is a very close second, and I hope it will be included, but I know modders are particularly fond of this character (as I am). So, again, hoping for Yeslick's comeback.

The only thing that these characters must share IMO is that they should be available from the start of BG2 only if you had them when you defeated Sarevok.

We already know about potential issues, but I want to share this snippet from the AMAA:
    sepotter said:

Will the bgee party be importable into bg2ee? More specfically Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad? Basically will it be possible to have the new characters in the dungeon with you, or will you have to find them somewhere else in Amn? And more on that, Will the romances started in bgee carry over to bg2ee, or will they have to start over?

Dorn, Neera, and Rasaad will be available in BG2:EE. Regarding their presence in the first dungeon, aka Irenicus' Pleasure Palace, we haven't decided yet.

Romances started in BG:EE should carry over to the sequel.

sepotter said:

Very Cool, if I had my way, the people with you in the dungeon would depend more on who was in your party in the first game (assuming you imported).

I'd like to include them in the dungeon, but there are balance and story concerns here and there. The canon story is that the final party of BG was composed of: The Player, Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir. There are many references to this party composition as you travel through the dungeon, including finding the corpse of Khalid and Minsc musing about the loss of his witch.

• RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    I voted Skie just because there are no proper thieves in BG2 (apart from Yoshi, but we all know how that story ends). But if the OP's aim is to get only the best NPC's, then why bother having several at all? (i might have misunderstood this point, correct me if I'm wrong)

I would really like having the option to choose from several different NPC's. Even though one might not be as good as the other, I would still play the 'bad' one, just for the feel of it and the story that it results in.

Import the whole damned lot, I say! Options Galore!
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Definitely the Amazonian battle priest of tempus. I feel like she has a lot to offer, and sounds like a great romance option for male PCs, granted maybe if they wer fighters. I also feel like a cleric is almost a must have (druids are a decent substitute) but a neutral one would be great for those who want options.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Alora. Because she is the only one of the NPCs to have duetted with James Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvyYMDtDn4k

I voted Skie just because there are no proper thieves in BG2 (apart from Yoshi, but we all know how that story ends). But if the OP's aim is to get only the best NPC's, then why bother having several at all? (i might have misunderstood this point, correct me if I'm wrong)

I would really like having the option to choose from several different NPC's. Even though one might not be as good as the other, I would still play the 'bad' one, just for the feel of it and the story that it results in.

Import the whole damned lot, I say! Options Galore!

Oh I wasn't asking for the best NPC, just people's favourites and who they think would fit well into BG2. It's just that .... there isn't one bad NPC in BG2 when in BG1 there are many, BG1 has the manoeuvrability to have bad NPCs whereas BG2 doesn't really, it's a much more demanding and difficult game ... kinda.
    Even Jaheira, Minsc and Viconia who were fine to begin with were upgraded in BG2.
    edited September 2012
    I also think Eldoth and Shar-Teel (the two lowest thus far!) should take precedence since they're evil and the evil guys only have 3 in their ranks (SoA), in comparison to the good guy's 7.
    Post edited by Jaxsbudgie on
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Xan, I love his personality.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I want them all and I don't care how stupid that would be.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

There are already a lot of 'hitters' so Kivan and Shar-Teel are somewhat moot

Except that Shar-Teel could potentially be introduced to BG2 as a dual classed thief, in the same way Imoen is introduced as a dual classed mage. This would kill two birds with one stone, since it would also address the issue of BG2's lack of quality thieves.
    Quartz said:

I really wish Safana's role in BG2 wasn't completely out-of-character and stupid. Seriously.

While I hated the idea of killing off Safana in a quickie cameo, I don't agree that her actions were necessarily "out of character." In fact, I'd say they were very much IN character - she always came off as deceitful, manipulative, and materialistic to me.

Chippy said:

I don't believe it would violate their contract as Yeslick makes no appearance in BG2, they couldn't however, make Garrick, Safana or Ajantis into joinable NPCs because they're all scripted to do other things (the latter two are scripted to die).

Does that mean they also wouldn't be able to make Branwen or Xan playable NPCs as well, since they both appear in the tutorial?
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    ..Xan as well.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Shar-Teel.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    Was a toss up between Shar-Teel & Yeslick. BG2 does need an evil Thief but I've always wanted Yeslick in my party. There's a lack of Dwarves & shorties in general - One halfling, one gnome, one dwarf. That & a dwarven fighter/cleric can use the +3 throwing hammer. If Xan had suddenly become a fighter/mage... then sure Xan too.

Yeslick would be a great good align Dwarf tank.
  • MarkosMarkos Member Posts: 30
    I would very much like for Kivan to return.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    This poll is Futile!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'd like to see BG1 Imoen in BG2. I want the happy-go-lucky thief I knew and loved not the miserable mage they turned her into.

Chippy said:

Does that mean they also wouldn't be able to make Branwen or Xan playable NPCs as well, since they both appear in the tutorial?
    I don't think so since the tutorial and the actual game are two separate things. They for example, wouldn't be able to swap out Xan or Branwen for other NPCs in the tutorial, or change anything to do with what they say. But I think adding them into BG2 shouldn't impede on the contract ... maybe? I talk as if I know hahaha I have no fucking idea :D
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Eldoth !

I took him one time and this guy is very charismatic

I would say Safana too !
    @Seldar
    Yep Eldoth is great, good voice set! If I'm not taking Eldoth along I sometimes have is own voice set for my PC.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134

I also think Eldoth and Shar-Teel (the two lowest thus far!) should take precedence since they're evil and the evil guys only have 3 in their ranks (SoA), in comparison to the good guy's 7.

Here I agree wholeheartedly. That being said, I would still prefer the whole lot.

Good poll though! Thumbs up
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Yeslick, BG2 needs a good dwarf!!!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Along with Kivan although I'd love more female relationship opportunities. Preferably some that are good and also DON'T share Anomen's chauvinist misogynist personality.

The could also use some more evil NPCs though I admit. I went trying to make a party for my halfling assassin and realized I'll prolly have to take Haer'dalis +1 in order to have an evil party. It was kinda disappointing.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Just give him a higher DEX and INT score and he would be perfectly suited as an adventuring companion in Athkatla. Admittedly, he is an arrogant bastard and a charlatan, but he had the potential to make things very interesting (and amusing) in BG2.