Skip to content

Social Justice Mods

spacehamzterspacehamzter Member Posts: 77
I personally don’t feel the new DLC went far enough in exposing contemporary issues. So, I have few ideas for mods to make it more fair and balanced.

1. An afro-centric mod- As a black man I am not keen on the idea that most of the evil npcs are black. Sure we got one righteous sister Dynaheir in the DLC but that is an equivalent to the having one black quota. Now the protagonist child of Bhaal can say if he is accused of racism by excluding the drow characters, “I’m not racist I have one black friend”. Don’t get me started on why the dark skin drow in the game live far below the mighty white elves. This is a big sign of class warfare built into the game. We need a mod to even the odds and to have more black NPCs.
2. Climate Change mod- the druids are out of control calling down lighting on their enemies in this game. This must have significant changes on the climate. We need to spread the message to climate change deniers. I think the Cowled Wizards should be given the power to fine druids and others elemental spell casters every time magic is used. This could be a great teaching tool if it was a mod.
3. Diversity Training mod- in 1999 they had a lot of fun with the girdle of masculinity/femininity. Some thought this was a big joke. We have come a long way since then so how about a mod to change it to a +5 Girdle of Diversity Training.

Please let me know if you have better mod ideas.

Comments

• InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    I appreciate you, man. I really do.
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127

2. Climate Change mod- the druids are out of control calling down lighting on their enemies in this game. This must have significant changes on the climate. We need to spread the message to climate change deniers. I think the Cowled Wizards should be given the power to fine druids and others elemental spell casters every time magic is used. This could be a great teaching tool if it was a mod.

I laughed more then I should at this one. :D
    Yosharian said:

Couldn't agree more. When you think about it, it's totally fucked up that all the black elves are evil and live underground, enslaving each other...

I mean come on Beamdog, it's 2016.

I know you're joking, but I'm still triggered harder than a Firetooth Crossbow with +7 to tacos.
  • YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
    Insultion said:

Yosharian said:

Couldn't agree more. When you think about it, it's totally fucked up that all the black elves are evil and live underground, enslaving each other...

I know you're joking, but I'm still triggered harder than a Firetooth Crossbow with +7 to tacos.
    Heh.

Everything I said is factually accurate though. If you start to view made-up game worlds through a real-world lens everything breaks down and ceases to make sense. From a gaming perspective the drow culture is a really fascinating thing: from a real-world perspective it's horrifying.

That's why it makes no sense to apply these things to videogames.
  • spacehamzterspacehamzter Member Posts: 77
    Yosharian said:

Word! I mean, as a black man its hard for me to relate sometimes to the game. D&D in general appears to be a game made for white people. For example, one time I went to join an Out of the Abyss 5e campaign at a the local hobby shop and the DM asked me if I could be a drow run away slave. I was like what the ......!!!
    I was hoping this new DLC would be more sensitive to the needs of modern gamers, especially black ones like me.

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    4. Proper clothes, shelter, food and jobs for monsters: It greatly saddens me of just how many ogres, cyclops, tasloi, lizardmen, sahuagin, kuo-toa, oozes, beholders, myconids, treants and doppelganger (amongst many other species of non-humans) can't even fulfill the basic needs. This clearly has to be stopped. They deserve a better life within the IE games!
    Yosharian said:

Insultion said:

Yosharian said:

Heh.

Everything I said is factually accurate though. If you start to view made-up game worlds through a real-world lens everything breaks down and ceases to make sense. From a gaming perspective the drow culture is a really fascinating thing: from a real-world perspective it's horrifying.

That's why it makes no sense to apply these things to videogames.
    Well I think it's important to note that for a black man, the Drow culture might be... well, wickedly liberating. They take slaves, instead of being slaves, as the underground 'black' folk.

Really though, the Drow were just there to be a sort of Bizarro to the Suldanessellar Superman, as I understand it.
    Shandyr said:

gay oozes.

I think those are agendered...

Or are they hermaphrodites? Where's THEIR representation? They're the REAL minority.
    edited April 2016
    Shandyr said:

4. Proper clothes, shelter, food and jobs for monsters: It greatly saddens me of just how many ogres, cyclops, tasloi, lizardmen, sahuagin, kuo-toa, oozes, beholders, myconids, treants and doppelganger (amongst many other species of non-humans) can't even fulfill the basic needs. This clearly has to be stopped. They deserve a better life within the IE games!

Oh my God... this just gave me a thought.
    Something that has totally been negclected so far.
    But it shall be no more overseen!

The gay monsters mod!
    Why should being gay restricted to NPCs?

I want to see gay ogres, cyclops, tasloi, lizardmen, sahuagin, kuo-toa, beholders, myconids, treants and doppelganger and most important of all of course, gay oozes.

Who says they can't be gay?

Animals can show homosexual behaviour in this world, so why can't monsters in the Forgotten Realms?
    What if my male ooze prefers other male oozes to female ones?
    Come to think of it I would also love to have a romance mod with that new Goblin Shaman! I also would like to mix it up with a Beholder or even a Mindflayer. Why are cross species romances still taboo in Toril? Its 2016 after all.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I welcome these absurd threads that turn a sad situation into a funny one.

The amount of energy put into arguing about pointless things is beyond me, making fun of it is way better.

It is killing me how people are concerned over transgender characters and popular references breaking immersion while a character has " I wish I could be a chaotic good elfe" as a selection message and yet nobody said anything about this.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    While we're at it, can we get Imoen to stop calling us queer fellows?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @spacehamzter

We already have the Elemental mod covered, it's called BG2 and wizards get JAILED for use of elemental spells.

See, we were socially progressive before socially progressive was even a thing.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I can't believe we're still having this conversation. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE! IT'S 1368DR
    edited April 2016
    Illydth said:

@spacehamzter

We already have the Elemental mod covered, it's called BG2 and wizards get JAILED for use of elemental spells.

See, we were socially progressive before socially progressive was even a thing.

We need one to work in the DLC and one that works outside of Amn. It also must be more realistic and not be shut down with one simple pay off. We need to be punished. We need to be educated by the DLC.