Skip to content

Gear Question: What type of equipment is in BGEE for monks?

FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I don't think Monks were playable in the original game, but I haven't played in some 10 yrs to remember. Can anyone tell me some items you know that should be in the game I can use for a monk character? I'm hoping there's something useful for them, especially since they added the monk npc in the new version.

Comments

• ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    You're correct in saying that monks weren't available in the original BG. That, plus the fact they've created a monk NPC means there'll probably be some class, maybe even character (i.e. Jan & Keldorn) specific items.

I can't remember BG well enough to tell you if there's anything useful for monks from the items already present in the original however, I did play a monk in BGII and only used a few items like rings and bracers (ToB had monk specific bracers).
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    All the BG2 classes and kits will be playable in BG:EE, as it uses the ToB engine.

It's been a long time for me too, but IIRC monks cannot wear armor and therefore the enchanted items they can wear are things like bracers, amulets, belts, and boots.

I had ago in BG1 with a monk using the BGT mod about 5 years ago, and found they are super vulnerable at low levels. It was about like meleeing with a Mage in terms of sustaining damage. It actually wasn't very fun or satisfying, and I aborted the game pretty quickly. So I think in BG:EE they're going to have to rework this class a bit to make it playable at low levels.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

I haven't tried the monk in BG1, but it ought to be a playable character if you put plenty of points in DEX, just like a Rogue, if he doesn't get hit, he won't get hurt.
    If it doesn't work like that, I think it'll be a very unpopular class.
    At least just outside of Candlekeep it was a bit of nightmare when I tried it. My monk had maxed Dex, of course. But the character cannot avoid ever getting hit, especially when he's dodging swords and arrows are flying at him. He was particularly vulnerable against bandit and kobold bands. I think by the time I got him to Nashkel I decided against continuing the game. Imho the devs will have to make some tweaks to the class itself and/or make some AC improving gear available (presumably usable by monks only).
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    There quite a few items in baldurs gate already that would help compensate for the monks weakness in BGEE. Monks use the cleric HP template so if you have 18 con using the claw of the kazgaroth won't hurt your HP. Couple that with items like the ring of protection +2, the cloak of balduran, the golden girdle, the boots of avoidance and if you're good (though not enough not to kill drizzt) his defender - coupled with a point in single weapon style. Add that up and you'll get an extra -7 to your AC.

They're not Monk items alone but they should help make a considerable difference.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I believe I've heard devs on the AMA saying among new items being added to the game are things for Kensai and Monk to help them out.

Monk's biggest weakness was being forced into equipping magical weapons, if you ask me.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    New items for Kensai & Monk would be nice. I've played through BG Tutu with a Kensai before without too much trouble. Potions of defence etc coupled with two points in single weapon style.

I'd like to see some monk gauntlets that add unarmed combat damage.
    I think I read somewhere on this forum that the Monk will be able to deliver more damage with some new enchanted items (and/or tweaks to the class? can't remember). That would be an interesting balance to the Monk's relatively high vulnerability to damage at low level.
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    cool thanks for the tips. I agree its stupid hard to play as a monk early on. Hopefully they create a fair and unique system for them :)
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Maybe beating BG1 with a monk or kensai is a special challenge and you would unlock something cool for doing it. :) I remember there was something similar for Alpha Protocol... unfortunately an underwhelming game based on a cool concept.