Skip to content

Chant and luck

Are they typos?

Chant is:

Fireball goes from 6d6 to 6d5?

Luck is

Same?

It's gotta be a typo yeah? Chant is... detrimental to the party... luck I could see the negs but it gets filed into the *yet another useless spell* catagory once yoshi gains 2 levels to put open locks at 100....

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I think it means damage dealt to you is reduced... maybe. I've heard that a lot of spell descriptions are just taken from stock PnP and are completely inaccurate (look at Glyph of Warding for an example) and Chant doesn't actually reduce damage on you. It certainly doesn't show on your resistances.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    Neither are really beneficial once you do a few minor quests outside of the dungeon I find I was just cerious is all... I was just going to add utility to Edwin and my main for those *what if* kind of things.... though chants already nuked off and with yoshi now 100 on open lock I guess I don't really need them.

Just a curious mind is all.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I *think* it should be opposite as to how you read it. You should probably get a bonus on your own rolls and damage roles by enemies against you are reduced by one. So you get a bonus both offensively and defensively.
    But someone correct me if that's wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2016
    Just to nitpick a bit (because who doesn't like picking nits?):

no spear can do more than 1 hp, etc.

Furthermore, damage dice for all effects outside a weapon's base damage is reduced by 1

So it shouldn't affect a spears base damage at all, no matter how much you have.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • who_is_danielwho_is_daniel Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 98
    What would make Luck spell useful is if it lasted a turn.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited April 2016
    If luck behaves like it does in IWD2, it should decrease incoming spell damage and increase outgoing weapon damage... but not vice versa. Take a fighter/mage fighting another fighter/mage, for example. Both use 1d8 weapons and level 1 Magic Missiles, but the first fighter/mage has +1 luck.

FM1's axe: 2-8 damage
    FM1's Magic Missile: 2-5 damage

FM2's longsword: 1-8 damage
    FM2's Magic Missile: 2-4 damage

And if FM1 has -1 luck instead?

FM1's axe: 1-7 damage
    FM1's Magic Missile: 2-5 damage

FM2's longsword: 1-8 damage
    FM2's Magic Missile: 3-5 damage
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388

What would make Luck spell useful is if it lasted a turn.

I agree. I never bother with Luck because of the incredibly short duration. I wish I knew how to alter spells/items myself, because I'd love to change the Bless/Chant type spells to increase in duration based upon level too...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I used Luck once to increase the chance of hitting a lich with Harm. Otherwise I just used the scroll for XP or gold.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    So your best bet then would e to stack it with a luck potion and -then- it becomes powerful.... but not an overly powerful thing since the circumstances requiring luck where you'd use it are far and few between?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.