Skip to content

Motivation

Simply put, I'm losing the will to keep playing the game, as much as I want to keep enjoying it for days on end. It may be from my mass use of cheats, but this is because everytime I make a new character, whether it's because I want an evil toon or because I want to try a character romance with someone else, I find the quests become gradually repetitive. Any suggestions on what could raise my morale?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2016
    Mods. Try SCS (if your game is still v 1.3) it makes the game refreshingly challenging and immersive again. New npc or quest mods also help. There are tons. And they are super easy to install. On v 1.3 anyway, 2.0 breaks mod compatibility somewhat.

If your game is 2.0 you may have to do with insane difficulty and/or no reload game style for extra challenge.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's also worth following ongoing story mods.
    Such as @elminster 's Eve of War for BG:EE, which soon should be ready for release.
    There's also A Journey's End for BG2:EE, its sequel. But from the looks of it that one's still in the planning phase.
  • GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    Try not playing the game? I always come back a couple times a year.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    This game's true wealth does indeed lie in the mods. Experiment! Challenge yourself!
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Your question implies the answer. You already know what you have (want) to do. Get off the cheats. Don't be afraid, you can do it.

Also, play differently. Try types of characters you haven't played before. Roleplay. Try to forget meta game knowledge. Limit your amount of reloads when an outcome is non-optimal. Post your playthrough in the Challenges and playthrough area. I like to make a fanfic about my characters. It helps engage you in their story.
  • WanderingScholarWanderingScholar Member Posts: 17
    Vanilla game is definitely made more interesting and tactically challenging with SCS installed. In fact I probably won't ever play without it. Right now I'm just waiting for v2.0 compatibility. If you really want motivation you might want to consider just taking a break from the game for awhile. I do this often and I find playing a game much more satisfying after a short hiatus. Also lay off the cheats...I usually only use the console for testing mods/features.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited April 2016
    What's the point of giving advise to make the game more challenging or interesting to someone that's just going to 'mass use cheats' as he admitted?

I'd recommend trying to learn how to play the game without cheats. If he doesn't find that enjoyable, chances are SCS won't do a bit of good.
  • ShavVicShavVic Member Posts: 7
    @ithildurnew To be fair, I had started using cheats after a good five months of playing the game without them. Only really activated them because I wanted to do a solo run and my toon was really squishy, so I offered it some 5 AC Bracers.

And then it all escalated from there.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I recently tried changing party composition from my regular set-up (a nice mixture) to, for example, an all-caster party. All squishies certainly changes the game a lot. Made it fun to figure out once again 'what can I handle, and what not'.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    ShavVic said:

@ithildurnew To be fair, I had started using cheats after a good five months of playing the game without them. Only really activated them because I wanted to do a solo run and my toon was really squishy, so I offered it some 5 AC Bracers.

And then it all escalated from there.

It always starts with a magic item here and there. You think you can handle it, but before you know it, you're whacked out on kitted multiclasses, permanent haste and damage immunities.

Step 1: Admit you have a problem...