Skip to content

Hidden Character (Spoilers, I hope)

The last big let's play Beamdog did before SoD went live suggested (I thought) that there was a bonus character like the other EE games, commenting that people would figure it out quickly enough. Has anyone figured out who it is? How to get them?

Also, and this is a total aside, has anyone figured out how to get Sarevok's sword? I tried to be as thorough as I could be, but I didn't see another lead on it.

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I'm not sure you can get Sarevok's sword. There is a note, or something, that says his sword has been shipped to Amn.
  • zupskyzupsky Member Posts: 126
    You're not the only one that remembers that and is still looking!

I thought that Calear Argent would finally join as a NPC (since she has a full VO, she even has a VO for taking a leadership over the party), but I've finished the game yesterday and it didn't happen.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited April 2016
    @zupsky ... *glances at zupsky* *whistles innocently* *looks away*

Saravok's sword is only referenced twice in the game.

The first time in the Safehouse where Porios figures that's what you're doing down there to introduce it and once at the parley which is the entire reason that Caelar decides to invade and attack the ASC at the end of Chapter 10.

It's Stonehand's offhand comment that someone paid for the blood of the hero on Saravok's sword that spurs Caelar to say they were out of time and to begin the invasion of the Allied Siege Camp.

It's used as a plot device to spur the story along...and of course, the reference to the sword being shipped to Amn should be...obvious.

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    zupsky said:

I thought that Calear Argent would finally join as a NPC (since she has a full VO, she even has a VO for taking a leadership over the party), but I've finished the game yesterday and it didn't happen.
    Actually, she can join you - if you don't have a full party in the final battle.

zupsky said:

Actually, she can join you - if you don't have a full party in the final battle.
    And that's it for a secret NPC @Illydth ? I've wanted a NPC that I could've taken for longer... :<
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I won't confirm or deny to that question @zupsky. You're better off getting the community to weigh in on that...any answer I give to that question could go VERY badly for me...either I'm disappointing or I just gave away a massive secret, either way neither of those is what I'm here for.

MASSIVE SPOILER AHEAD

As the community did spill this one, I'll elaborate: Obviously Caelar becoming a companion is a HUGE spoiler and thus a huge secret...since knowing she can be a companion would answer many many many questions and totally and completely jade anyone's view of her one way or the other.

It also somewhat spoils the twist ending since if Caelar could become a companion of the party, she obviously can't be the "main evil badguy" to the game.

SO Caelar joining the party is obviously a huge secret...has to be or it ruins a bunch of the story plot.

Whether or not that is the secret companion alluded to, again, I will not comment on one way or the other.
    I totally thought that Calear is the secret NPC, but I've believed that we could be able to expose Hephernaan to her during the meeting at the dead's man pass. But if she is truly joinable only at the final battle, then I hope there is another secret NPC.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    Wow. Wow. Tried it myself, and it works. She joins up for one fight, flicks you off at the cage, and then gives you a double dose at the portal. That is absurdly pointless. One fight, no banters... heck, even access to some of that gear (that sword looks awesome) would have been cool, especially if it carried into BG2EE. Heck, if you've got 6 people, she still can be convinced to fight at your side. The only thing you lose doing that is a chance to look at her gear and stats, if you're quick enough to do so before she talks to her uncle.

Yeah, I am absolutely with Zupsky, here. I believed she was the fifth from the start, and felt it confirmed when she accidentally barked a voiceset line after meeting her at the bridge in chapter 8. I assumed that if I could amass enough evidence of the damage she was doing and the treachery of her second in command, or even go willingly with her, I'd get to team up with her at Dead Man's Pass.

As much as I really want to enjoy this game, this is a major recurring theme for it - just enough to tease, to excite, and to ultimately let down.

* The Shaman is a fascinating concept, but an unimpressive delivery. Crippled gear selection, and the dance is only useful if you're in a fight that both takes forever and doesn't need your healer. There's not many that fit that.

* Characters you travel with the entire game in BG1EE vanish and do not become available until after the story is half done (particularly Dorn, Neera, and Khalid). Not unreasonable, perhaps, but if we're going to have an established cast cut down, it kinda sucks to have to find the majority of your old friends again.

* The Sword of Chaos is a +2 sword. It's completely reasonable to have in this story. It looks like it should be, perhaps even will be. Will I get to find one last vestige of Bhaal's priesthood and reclaim the trophy that is rightfully mind? Heh. No chance.

* Several quests (Neera's seven legged spider and that soldier's bear leather boots come ready to mind) depend on monsters you can kill long before you get the quest, rendering the quest impossible.

* Caelar goes from being a noble soul led astray to being an irrational brat who learns nothing and cares about nothing, and ultimately flips off any consequence, all at the last second. She's stuck in hell, yes, but this ring's boss is now perma-dead and she's proven she can slaughter the denizens with ease. The whole conclusion is not satisfying.

* The well. Why is the well in the manual, when it's only available for the smallest fraction of time between the event on Boareskyre Bridge and leaving the map for one last time?

* The final twist would have been amazing if it had turned out that Skie actually was Bhaalspawn rather than an illusion to trick you into killing an innocent girl. Beyond that, it hinted at a great new adventure where you track down the Soultaker Dagger and clear your name with the Core party. Instead, it simply ends. Had the game not taunted me with enough let-downs beforehand, this would have resulted in an excellent feeling of frustration and hopelessness, which is what you want in that scene. Instead, I walked away feeling the entire adventure was pointless. The only new friend that came to see me in prison was Corwin, who genuinely asked me to admit to an offense I did not do and was about to be executed for. I checked EEKeeper and found very little of the gear I actually liked carried over, and of course none of the new characters do either, at least yet.

All told, I'm pretty disappointed. The Collector's Edition was very over-priced and the fact that it isn't coming out until midsummer was shocking (never seen a collector's edition do that). But I did it because I love Baldur's Gate and I wanted to support the company that was trying continue the story. I'm not going to back out of it, but at this point it's the most expensive set of dice I've ever ordered.

I really hope to Avernus that future patches make this worth it.

• MirenheartMirenheart Member Posts: 41
    Bit of a stupid question and totally off topic but...

Calemyr said:

I checked EEKeeper and found very little of the gear I actually liked carried over, and of course none of the new characters do either, at least yet.

How do you use EEKeeper to figure out what transfers to BG2EE?
  • BraggartBraggart Member Posts: 12

Calemyr said:

I checked EEKeeper and found very little of the gear I actually liked carried over, and of course none of the new characters do either, at least yet.

No idea how to do it with EEKeeper, but here's a thread listing the items that make the jump with you. :)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/739356/
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238

Calemyr said:

One mark of a competent coder is consistent variable names. Most of the resources added as part of SoD are named starting with BD. There are a few exceptions, such as Glint and Volghiln (possibly because they already existed in the Black Pits), but it is largely consistent.

I'm not sure if Kotan's Skullcrusher +2 (a generic +2 mace) is a new item or not, but I did discover that it carries over and is found on the table of the janitor golem in Chateau Irenicus, which was good news for my cleric/ranger.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2016
    Calemyr said:

* Caelar goes from being a noble soul led astray to being an irrational brat who learns nothing and cares about nothing, and ultimately flips off any consequence, all at the last second. She's stuck in hell, yes, but this ring's boss is now perma-dead and she's proven she can slaughter the denizens with ease. The whole conclusion is not satisfying.
    Minor quibble but Belhifet is not the lord of Avernus. That honor would go to Bel, Lord of the First (at least during this point in time). Belhifet is likely a baatezu noble of some kind, maybe a unique pit fiend of some sort.

• redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Calemyr said:

I actually really like this aspect of the character, because the game allowed me to respond exactly as I wanted to.

By giving response options like "you've learned nothing", the game acknowledges that Caelar is not behaving like a true hero should, rather than forcing us to see her actions as acceptable. It doesn't act like she's suddenly redeemed and free of all guilt; she's the same stubborn, blind zealot that caused the whole mess in the first place, only now she's been vindicated by the accomplishment of her goals. It's not a fairy tale ending, but it's believable... real people are infuriating at times, and a character that (by design) elicits the same emotions is refreshing. I hate her as a person but like her as a character.