Skip to content

An idea, A plea and a request!

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Dear @Dave and @PhilipDaigle ,

First forgive me for my temerity to ask. We have collected lots of ideas for new weapons, cursed weapons and a variety of items on the Lets talk weapons thread.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4060/lets-talk-weapons-as-this-is-an-enhanced-edition-we-need-enhanced-weapons#latest

It would be lovely to imagine that someone would be able to look at this thread and implement some of the ideas that the fans of BG1:EE have put forward. But I believe that this will not be possible due to problems such as providing too many items, creating overpowered items and simply the vast amount of time to programme the items into the game.

So my idea (plea! request!) is to create a competition to create an item for BG1:EE.

The item would need to have a back story and not be too overpowered. It would also need to have characteristics that are compatible with the infinity engine and 2nd Edition ruleset. The winner would get there item into the game (or more realistically into the next mod by Overhaul / Beamdog).

Obviously you and your colleagues would be the judges.

I think many fans would love the opportunity to put forward an item for BG1:EE. Imagine using it in your game! Imagine others using it in their games! Imagine the bragging rights!

You have been so approachable to the fans of this game that I feel I can actually write this and make someone at the other end consider it... Even for two seconds! That is still far more time than other corporations are often willing to offer.

Thank you again for reviving such a great game. I know Tymora will smile down on you all on launch day!

Kind Regards

Anduin

Comments

• GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    I like the idea!

However the whole deal with the use of forum member names in certains NPCs in BG2: ToB is a fine example of an activy like the one you describe gone wrong.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Garm I think some legals involving name use may be needed... Don't want to upset anyone!
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Garm said:

I like the idea!

However the whole deal with the use of forum member names in certains NPCs in BG2: ToB is a fine example of an activy like the one you describe gone wrong.

lol wut?
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Garm said:

I like the idea!

lol wut?
    Gromnir I'l-Khan was based on a really obnoxious, bipolar member of the Black Isle forums that said "Ha! Good fun!" a lot.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

Garm said:

I like the idea!

lol wut?
    Gromnir I'l-Khan was based on a really obnoxious, bipolar member of the Black Isle forums that said "Ha! Good fun!" a lot.
    Lol, funny. He would relish the reference that the game's NPC was based on his forum character! What a great poster that guy was.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284

Same thing happened with Coran, Safana and Lanfear. Lanfear was a fan who started a campaign to bring Coran into SoA instead of Jaheira and she was very vocal and aggressive about it. Heh in the end she got her wish although not how she expected it, and as an added "bonus" she joined the game as well :).
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It's gone all quiet... Perhaps, the team are too kind to give a no? What is more likely is legals getting in the way something along the line of 'We would love to say Yes but only if x, y and k are completed before d, 3 and e' kind of answer that would confuse everyone... Or an even better excuse THEY HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT LAUNCH ON THE WAY...Thank you for the likes anyway guys :)
  • KalbarKalbar Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2012
    Lemernis said:

Lol, funny. He would relish the reference that the game's NPC was based on his forum character! What a great poster that guy was.
    He knew about it and frankly I don't think he particularly cared one way or another. Grom was a great guy who I'v unfortunately lost touch with over the years - I'm sort of hoping he somehow pops back up here.

Cespenar was another - interesting guy and really active in the "A Land Far Away" NWN persistent world project (which, amazingly, still exists).

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    @Kalbar

My God. Kalbar, is that you?

Those were the days. Great times.

Pelham, Albereth, Ava, White Warlock (who's since died), J'kin... "Karen." Lol.

Tridisus and I went on to found a PW set in Amn, btw. I haven't heard from James in years now, though.

I lost time and interest with this pastime about half a decade ago. In my short time here I'm finding that I kind of miss that sense of camaraderie though. I'm getting the bug again.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I do like the idea of a competition, I mean the fond memories of BG one was fantastic. Creating weapons, names and backtorys for a weapon would be a fantastic pass time while we await the november release.
  • KalbarKalbar Member Posts: 6
    Lemernis said:

@Kalbar

My God. Kalbar, is that you?

Those were the days. Great times.

Pelham, Albereth, Ava, White Warlock (who's since died), J'kin... "Karen." Lol.

Tridisus and I went on to found a PW set in Amn, btw. I haven't heard from James in years now, though.

I lost time and interest with this pastime about half a decade ago. In my short time here I'm finding that I kind of miss that sense of camaraderie though. I'm getting the bug again.

Indeed, Lem. Great to see you bopping about still!

I was going to give you an initial shout out but wasn't sure how often you frequented these boards and then couldn't get past an error when trying to edit my message. Anyway...

I make a brief visit to the ALFA forums every year or two just to see who is still around keeping the lights on (I believe I recognized all of two names the last time I checked in), but I haven't gamed in years and years and years. The founding of that place still holds a very special place in my heart and every so often it's great to reminisce.

Speaking of which, I really can't wait to sit down and replay BG on the iPad. Should I be holding out hope for a NWN client for the iPad? We can bring this thing full circle. :)