Skip to content

That black outline around the characters.

Any way to disable this? I can't figure it out. It got added with the latest patch. It is so off-putting. Makes the game look cartoonish, in a way.

Anyone able to help? I am sure I am completely missing something obvious here.

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016
    In the graphic settings there is a checkbox for turning it off (but you have to reload for the change to become effective for some reason)
  • SamySamy Member Posts: 51
    Yeah that was the first thing I disabled too. I vaguely recall the checkbox name wasn't immediately obvious. It certainly wasn't "black outline" or anything like that.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    I did. It is still kind of there. And the game still looks "cartoony"
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Rawgrim said:

I did. It is still kind of there. And the game still looks "cartoony"

Did you reload?
    Yes I did reload. Maybe they just changed the textures permanently?
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    Then are you sure you unchecked the right box? It's called ''Sprite Outline'' (the the one called Highlight Something Something)
    Yes. I unchecked all of them. The black line is somewhat gone. But the character still looks off. Not sure how to put it. Looks more Ultima VIII than Baldur's Gate.
  • basketofvipersbasketofvipers Member Posts: 2
    Rawgrim said:

Yes. I unchecked all of them. The black line is somewhat gone. But the character still looks off. Not sure how to put it. Looks more Ultima VIII than Baldur's Gate.

Yup, a strong resemblance to Ultima VIII was the first thing that popped into my mind when this patch rolled out with the new renderer. Definitely not a fan of how it looks but I can live with it.
    Ahh so it is a permanent thing then. Crap. I really don't like it. I suppose I have to install the game a new now, then. And then just update the game to the previous patch and ignore the last one.

I am guessing SoD comes with this renderer too, though. No way to avoid it if I install SoD?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Try Alternate Renderer? That one changes things but it has to be on rather than off.

I personally can't tell the difference. I see seams everywhere, but no black outlines.
    I suspect my colourblindness is making it a lot worse. The characters looks like something someone cut out of a coming book and glued to the screen. I got rid of the black lines, but the new "style" is really messing things up for me.

This should have been a toggle thing. What was the point of changing this in the first place?
    Seems it is way worse when you zoom in. Not too bad when zoomed out. Still. It looks like crap when zoomed in, and I like to zoom in quite often.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I really like the new sprite look when the outline is removed.
    I am having issues with it bigtime. I suspect it might be related to me being colourblind.
    The sprite kind of looks blurry, in a way.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited April 2016
    No, it has to do with the scaling filter.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    @Rawgrim There's currently a bug that doesn't let your game to remember changes to the settings if the path to your Baldur's Gate folder in Documents (with the baldur.lua file and saves) have non-English letters in it. This bug is known to the devs. Maybe this is the problem for you?
    bengoshi said:

@Rawgrim There's currently a bug that doesn't let your game to remember changes to the settings if the path to your Baldur's Gate folder in Documents (with the baldur.lua file and saves) have non-English letters in it. This bug is known to the devs. Maybe this is the problem for you?

That could very well be it. The outlines went away, though. But the character still looks cartoony as heck.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    Are you looking at the sprites in daylight? Several changes were made to the way infravision looks.
    Daylight, yes. Looks like a cartoon character copied and pasted in to a live-action movie (kind of).