Skip to content

Has the controversy made you more hesitant towards buying Siege of Dragonspear?

LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
  1. Has the controversy made you more hesitant towards buying Siege of Dragonspear?398 votes
    1. No not at all
      69.35%
    2. Yes, but I'll probably still end up buying it
      10.05%
    3. Yes, I think I'll skip it
      16.58%
    4. I haven't considered that...
        4.02%
dockaboomskiskeptik_59justfeelinathomeKasmo

Comments

• wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    I was supposed to buy it a couple of days ago, and I haven't bought it yet because I'm EXTREMELY unhappy with how all of the controversy has been handled. I'll buy it when it has all died down.
    LoldrupdockaboomskiZarugal
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    I haven't ordered it yet, but still intend to do so. Even if it were the worst game imaginable, there is still the potential to pick up some new loot. I will probably postpone my complete run until some of the bugs are fixed though.
    dockaboomski
  • prem0nitionprem0nition Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2016
    It was a day 1 purchase for me... Though I have to admit that I almost did a refund when Dee made an error in judgement. Thankfully he was pretty swift on correcting that error and apologising on the forum. With the recent announcement I am glad that I never went through with it and am looking forward to see what Beamdog comes up with in regards to expanding Mizhena, and any future content that they may come up with.
    dockaboomski
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Ignorance is my excuse. But nothing made me want a refund.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    The controversy is making me consider asking for a refund.

For clarity's sake, the controversy to me is that Beamdog laid down for Gamergate. Weak, weak effort. If you choose to put content in that might ruffle feathers, have the conviction to stand behind it or don't go there in the first place.

Backtracking 6 days after release is just sad.
    skeptik_59Cloutier
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I purchased earlier than I originally planned after the "controversy" started.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I actually rather have a loyalty counter-reaction to seeing a gaming studio I appreciate unfairly mobbed and under siege. Because it is a greatly enjoyable expansion in my view.

I bought on Collector's Edition with no intent of cancelling - filthy shipping fees to Europe included, mind you Beamdog.

I would add "More likely to buy because I am a BG fan, this is unfair in view of quality of SoD and Beamdog commands my loyalty as a fan."
    GenderNihilismGirdleacdha
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    TStael said:

I actually rather have a loyalty counter-reaction to seeing a gaming studio I appreciate unfairly mobbed and under siege."

I like the way you put that, i guess you could call this controversy the....Siege of Beamdog
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    marceror said:

It's the reviews that are giving me pause, or rather, the lack of substantive reviews. .

There is one such thread here - I gave a list my list of pluses and minuses on gameplay and other greater and smaller highlights. Some other fora members too, so you might wish to search for it.

On external reviews, this is the one I found:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3049904/software/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-review-a-fitting-end-to-a-legendary-game-17-years-later.html

What has made my jaw drop actually is that the two leading Finnish sources dome and pelaaja - which I enjoy for a typically good Finnish journalistic standard - do not have a review as of yet! It's almost as inexplicable as the fuss... Finland has a strong gaming culture and love of BG!
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    The reverse, I moved my timetable for buying SoD up several notches every time I read over the top hate directed at the game phrased in a transmisogynistic/transphobic way, which meant I ended up buying it within 24 hours of the first hate I saw lmao (I'm a bit broker now than I would like but it's worth it)
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited April 2016
    I can't imagine not buying BG2 SOA because of a few random NPC's walking around Athkatla that were not written at a high enough standard. That would be like refusing to buy a bag of grapes because one or two of them might be bruised. Makes no sense to me. I knew what SOD was. It was a continuation of BG with the same characters and gameplay with minor tweaks and improvements to the characters and game engine. That is exactly what I got and I am happy.
    GenderNihilismGirdlebooinyoureyes[Deleted User]
  • MrGuseMrGuse Member Posts: 30
    Is this still a thing?
    GenderNihilismGirdlebooinyoureyesIllustairJediMindTrix
  • skeptik_59skeptik_59 Member Posts: 38
    If anything it makes me more likely to buy it, just to get the coppers into BD's hands so that they can continue to create content. Right now I can't get either BG:EE or BG2:EE to run on my comp, and am not particularly enthused about playing either [when I do become able to play them], but I would like BD to have the opportunity to create more content for the BG series.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I really think "Controversy" needs to be in air quotes. Its not really one no matter how much we try to pretend otherwise.
    JediMindTrixacdha
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2016
    People actually made new accounts just to vote "yes, I think I'll skip it". So absurd.
    SamyGenderNihilismGirdlemf2112
  • SamySamy Member Posts: 51

I really think "Controversy" needs to be in air quotes. Its not really one no matter how much we try to pretend otherwise.

"Controversy"

CutlassJackmf2112[Deleted User]
  • XartaXXartaX Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2016

People actually made new accounts just to vote "yes, I think I'll skip it". So absurd.

Well as pointed out in the megathread I own pretty much all the BG games, old and enhanced. And I think I'll skip it. However, the official reply is fair enough, although I haven't verified the claims of "threats"/"harassment" myself (might be true, might not, haven't looked into it. But it's a bit similar to a certain freq's rhetoric). I won't really care much about this "controversy" myself anymore, it's just a personal choice because of the remaining dialogue option problems, etc. But at this point I'll probably just sign off from the whole thing. Sure, I might be a bit skeptical of future releases from Beamdog (but still try to give them a fair look over), but only at a personal level. I won't really be shouting "down with Beamdog!" from the rooftops. The only people I can see being massively unhappy about this at this point are the SJW's since they're against any kind of constructive dialogue and outcomes that doesn't include "muh victimhood" and "GG'ers are evil incarnate".
    bluntfeatherGodKaiserHellRathenau
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    I got it day 1 and it hasn't hampered my enjoyment at all. I mean it kinda did because I found the whole thing sad... it was supposed to be an exciting time but it was kinda mellowed by the outraged, extremely loud few.

I just hope it all subsides now that Beamdog has put out that statement.
    booinyoureyesGenderNihilismGirdle
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I love it when these guys try to pretend the harassment campaigns are manufactured or nonexistent or an act of deception on the part of those targeted (such as the slightly oblique reference to Anita Sarkeesian in XartaX' post, as well as the implication that Beamdog is possibly lying about threats and harassment).

It's just easier for them to look the other way and pretend it doesn't happen - or even participate - than it is to try to rein in the worst excesses of their compatriots.
    GenderNihilismGirdleacdha
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I haven't bought it yet for two reasons:

1) I've got plenty of mods installed and I don't want to restart the game or ruin my romance with Dynaheir.Therefore, I'll wait until I finish the original game and expansion so I can buy and install SoD.

2) Currently I ain't got a credit card, so I had to buy BGEE from steam (which allows other forms of payment) and only after I install it I'll be able to buy the DLC.
  • XartaXXartaX Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2016
    Please, point me in the direction of some specific harassment/threats and I'll condemn it personally. However, until I'm actually shown occurrences of it I'll reserve the right to be skeptical of rhetoric like that. "Listen and believe" is not something I subscribe to, and I'm afraid you'll have to live with that.
    GodKaiserHellvsawaRathenau
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    The 'controversy' makes me want to buy another copy,, I was wanting the soundtrack anyhow, and methinks having the GoG self contained installer version for posterity would be good.
    suddenly_humanGenderNihilismGirdlebyrne20
  • KatrienKatrien Member Posts: 2
    I wasn't planning on playing it since I was kind of skeptical of making an expansion pack for a game as old as Baldur's Gate, but the controversy actually made me curious and I wanted to support the game after hearing about how much backlash it had received.

Why isn't that an option for the poll by the way? "No" is winning by far and I know others bought the game because of the backlash as well.
    suddenly_humanGenderNihilismGirdle