Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights In Relation To Baldur's Gate

Is Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 pretty much a sequel to BG1 and BG2 in the sense that they are in the same "universe" (i.e. canon and connected to one another?). I understand NVN supposedly references events in the BG games but wasn't sure.

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited April 2016
    According to https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15515/can-someone-give-me-a-timeline-of-the-dnd-games they're set pretty close to the same time.

The city of Neverwinter looks like it's about 5 times as far away from Baldur's Gate as Candlekeep is from Baldur's Gate. http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/1/10/Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120201174035 (both on the north west coast)

I don't really remember any direct mention of BG in NWN, though I may not have been looking for it. The stories are unrelated though (unless I missed something huge). I would expect some brief mentions of characters, maybe an easter egg type thing.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Well, while I can't recall the Neverwinter Nights games referencing the Baldur's Gate games in any obvious manner, Neverwinter Online, set during the Spellplague era (read: 4e,) does have Minsc and Boo make a glorious showing.

By the way, I'm totally downloading that map, SethDavis. It's amazing to see that Faerun is not, in fact, just the Sword Coast. :tongue:
  • DabusDabus Member Posts: 27

Well, while I can't recall the Neverwinter Nights games referencing the Baldur's Gate games in any obvious manner, Neverwinter Online, set during the Spellplague era (read: 4e,) does have Minsc and Boo make a glorious showing.

By the way, I'm totally downloading that map, SethDavis. It's amazing to see that Faerun is not, in fact, just the Sword Coast. :tongue:

I used to own that map when I had the original Forgotten Realms boxed set. The map was HUGE. And consider that's only Faerun, not Kara Tur, the lands of Al-Qadim, Maztica, etc. Toril is probably the most fleshed out RPG fantasy world ever, maybe even the most detailed fantasy world ever.
  • DabusDabus Member Posts: 27
    Dabus said:

I used to own the physical map when I had the original Forgotten Realms boxed set. The map was HUGE. And consider that's only Faerun, not Kara Tur, the lands of Al-Qadim, Maztica, etc. Toril is probably the most fleshed out RPG fantasy world ever, maybe even the most detailed fantasy world ever.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    You'd think that people further north The Sword Coast would at least hear talk of the great conflict between the Bhaalspawn, but as far as I can remember there's no mention of the events in Baldur's Gate neither in NWN or NWN2. So no, they are not that connected, though they happen within a short time of space (if memory serves BG starts in 1368 DR, BG2 in 1369, NWN in 1370 or 1371 and NWN2 in 1372 or 73, though I'm not 100% on this).
    Well to be fair, Neverwinter's kinda gone to crap in the first game, what with all the events that happens during it. It makes sense they'd be more focused on their problems than what's going on down-south.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in NWN, as soon as you go outside into the city there is a dude by the name of Winthrop out there, although he doesn't say anything about BG though or candlekeep, maybe it was just there for name dropping
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331

Well to be fair, Neverwinter's kinda gone to crap in the first game, what with all the events that happens during it. It makes sense they'd be more focused on their problems than what's going on down-south.

Good point. :smile:
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86

There's also loading message constantly telling you that you can import your character in neverwinter night ^^
    Definitely missed that, but then again, loading takes like next to no time at all in Neverwinter Nights on my computer (unlike the sequel, that can take FOREVER at times.)
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

It is really neat. There are so many little places I never would have known about, even if I had read all the books.

For example, looking up near Thay I see "The Mucklestones" and immediately think "What the hell are those *googles* oh, ancient druidic teleportation stones, neat"
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited April 2016
    Neverwinter Nights takes place a couple years after the Baldur's Gate series, that doesn't necessarily make them related, they are different stories in the same world at a different time, the same can be said for the Neverwinter MMORPG and Sword Coast Legends, which are set several decades after the Spellplague incident.

Icewind Dale and Heart of Winter (1281 DR)

Icewind Dale 2 (1310 DR)

Baldur's Gate 1 and Siege of Dragonspear (1368 DR)

Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal (1369 DR) (though I don't understand how they both can take place in one year, because SoA begins on the month of Mirtul, and travelling from different locations in Amn takes longer than the game depicts, for example, getting from Athkatla to Trademeet on foot does not really take 1 or 2 days, it would really take a tenday or more)

Neverwinter Nights (1372 DR)

Neverwinter Nights 2 (and Mask of the Betrayer, Storm of Zehir and Mysteries of Westgate) (1374 DR)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (1374 DR)

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 (1375 DR)

The Neverwinter MMORPG (1479 DR and beyond)

Sword Coast Legends (possibly 1492 DR, during the Rage of Demons season of D&D)
    Post edited by BladeDancer on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thank you @BladeDancer !

All I knew was that 3rd edition events happened about 5 years after 2nd edition ones.