Skip to content

Has the controversy made you more hesitant towards buying Siege of Dragonspear?

Comments

• FoxterFoxter Member Posts: 20
    The controversy - No

The Bugs - Yes

Basically the bugs delayed my purchase.

For how long, well, that depends on how fast Beamdog is able to solve them.
  • AmahAmah Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2016

At the heart of it, that's what the new expansion is. It's just that a lot of folks can't stand things that don't fit their narrow viewpoint. God forbid there's a minor thing I don't like. People are so spoiled nowadays that they have no idea of how to take things they dislike at face value.

The same is true for the other lot of folks. It all depends from where you look at matters. :-)

See, I'm involved in a modding community of another game (or a reimplementation of another true classic), and it's normal for me to respect other peoples work, including the original content. It's ok to tweak and twist parts of the game, expand it but you don't deliberately change or break core parts with own interpretations (or /e: possibly spoil the game for others).

So, for me it's more now I'm left behind if beamdog is going this way with SOD and maybe in future BG3. Mind no offence meant, I'm just stating my mixed feelings. I'll still hold the originals dear.

Post edited by Amah on
    Rathenau
  • XartaXXartaX Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2016
    XartaX said:

andres said:

XartaX said:

The only people I can see being massively unhappy about this at this point are the SJW's since they're against any kind of constructive dialogue and outcomes that doesn't include "muh victimhood" and "GG'ers are evil incarnate".

This entire situation has proven GG'ers and radical SJWs are just two sides of the same coin.

How, pray tell? I can't speak for everyone involved, obviously, but I've never applied labels to Beamdog for what they've done or tried to bully them into changing what they did. In fact, my first post pretty much said "I don't know if I want them to change what they've done, I'm just really disappointed in what has been done and we all have to live with it whether we like it or not". As far as I've seen from the complainers this has been the general attitude. Obviously quite a few people have talked to other people about it and said they don't recommend buying the game because of this, but I've yet to see any threats or harassment, etc. (I asked for someone to point me towards some on the first page here, as I'd happily condemn any actual threats). As far as I know this is radically different from how SJW's operate.

Also, I've yet to see any credible links between this and GG. The only link I've seen is the one Beamdog created themselves by putting the GG reference in the game. I haven't seen anything pointing towards GG being behind any organized actions towards Beamdog or their game (people sympathizing or being in GG reacting to this doesn't mean GG as a movement is). At best you could argue that a mob mentality occurred which led to a lot of people who haven't even bought the game getting involved with reviews.

If I'm wrong about these things, though, I'm perfectly ready to adjust my opinion if I'm actually given some proof of all these allegations.

Edit: quote shenanigans. It's a response to Andres.
    Rathenau
    edited April 2016
    Baldur's gate isn't exactly a game it's hard to drum up a lot of emotions about. As said, at best you could argue that a mob mentality occurred which led to a lot of people who haven't even bought the game getting involved with reviews. I've yet to see anything credible that would lead me to believe it's organized or that GG is behind it. The closest thing you come to organized is some semi big youtubers (who had bought the game) making videos like "Baldurs Gate: Siege of Dragonspear - don't buy this game". But those kind of videos I saw never asked anyone to post negative reviews or anything along those lines. Anyways, I just wanted to address that specific remark about SJW==GG, not sidetrack the topic to be about whether or not organized actions were behind the reviews, or if GG was behind it (I'm considering those dead issues until I'm given some actual proof to substantiate those claims).
    Rathenau
  • inadaizzinadaizz Member Posts: 1
    My comment was removed. I simply said I preferd Bioware as a company making these games and gave reasons why.... being that Bioware never felt compelled to sacrifice writing for politics. You could ROLE PLAY (the RP in RPG) any type of character you liked. Boogie, Vee, and others have done great coverage of this and all Beamdog has done is mislead and spit in the faces of fans.
    Blakes7Rathenau
    edited April 2016
    Boogie is always a voice of reason. For those who dunno:
    LoldrupHeavylineVyrulisseRathenau
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    edited April 2016
    I had bought SoD before I knew about the controversy. While I found Amber Scott's interview troubling, I certainly don't regret my decision and would never ask for a refund. However, this talk of bugs makes me reluctant to play SoD right away, so I will take my time replaying BG:EE from the start with the new features and UI (which I love).
    GenderNihilismGirdleSharRathenau
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    I saw it up on steam and it was a instabuy, I have no idea what the "controversy" is and I'm not sure if I really care enough to find out.
    GenderNihilismGirdlewraith5641
  • AvlanAvlan Member Posts: 21
    XartaX said:

Boogie is always a voice of reason. For those who dunno"

His claim to fame is acting like an angry child to pander for views and subs. A voice of reason? No.
    GenderNihilismGirdleSkarosemf2112
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Bought it the moment it appeared on GOG. Down-voters campaign is simply disgusting and can not affect a sane person's decision.
    GenderNihilismGirdleIllustairSkarose
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    Nope i couldent care less about this whole controversy. Beamdog re-made great games with BGEE and BG2EE , and SOD did not dissapoint :)
    GenderNihilismGirdleSkarose
  • AillasAillas Member Posts: 1
    Oops... Put the wrong button. Wanted to say : "I haven't considered that... to not buy the game because of the controversy"... By the way, i already bought the game so...

Don't know how to correct my choice... If anyone can help :smile:
    edited April 2016
    Avlan said:

XartaX said:

Boogie is always a voice of reason. For those who dunno"

His claim to fame is acting like an angry child to pander for views and subs. A voice of reason? No.
    You realize that's a persona, right? It's literally an act. For entertainment. I'm not saying Francis (his persona) is a voice of reason. How is what you're saying remotely relevant to how reasonable he himself is?
    Rathenau
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    I think both sides are full of crap. One side is giving the game 0/10, which smacks of nonsense, perhaps 3/10 but a 0 just sounds childish. And the other side declares there is not a single problem and if you think are any problems you're just some kind of sexist monster.

I won't throw my hat in with any side until I've played the game myself, but I think there are valid reasons for me to not play the game, at least yet. I no longer buy games on launch day because there are almost always bugs, so I will wait until the game is patched up and modders come in to fix the remaining broken parts. And I do have other reasons to worry due to reviews pointing to linear gameplay, poor writing and altered characters.

I come in with low expectations, as I don't expect anyone to be able to recreate the magic that was the first two games. When I do play it, I expect to play something that could be considered a high end mod.
    However I think that ironically modders will be the ones to push the game into something more than it is right now.
    ValtheJeanBlakes7Rathenau
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2016
    Well, the controversy DID affect my decision to buy it but in a much more round-about way.

See it resulted in me curving my enthusiasm and actually taking the time to check what all the fuss was about.

Then I discovered that aside from the fact that the writing team decided to just shove certain things down my throat with no rhyme or reason, there were bugs galore, IMHO bad writing (at least as far as the controversies were concerned) and perhaps the biggest kick in the gut, it was completely broken as far as importing the save-game from BG1, making it lose a lot of its' appeal as an expansion.

Funny thing is, I don't even have an issue with diversity per se, my issue in this particular case was the presentation and thought process that went behind it.
    In my opinion it was rushed, poorly executed and inadequately explained/justified.

I also did not appreciate unilaterally changing already established characters in substantial ways.
    Beamdog should have REALLY taken it to vote by the fans before committing, I am confident the results would have stayed their hands.

I'll probably end up buying it though like I have with all 3 other EEs (even though I already owned all of the originals) but only after I feel it has been adequately "fixed", that is, all major bugs squashed and all loose ends writing-wise tackled.
    Blakes7Rathenau
  • MaximvsMaximvs Member Posts: 94
    From this day foward, I'm boycotting every article, game, movie, tv show or whatever with any kind of LGBT content in it, and will do so until they stop shoving their agenda in our mouths. As a straight white male, the only thing that gets in my mouth is good food.

Thank you and have a nice day.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Maximvs said:

From this day foward, I'm boycotting every article, game, movie, tv show or whatever with any kind of LGBT content in it, and will do so until they stop shoving their agenda in our mouths. As a straight white male, the only thing that gets in my mouth is good food.

Good luck with that!
    GenderNihilismGirdlesuddenly_human
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Maximvs said:

have fun not being able to enjoy anything ever again.
    GenderNihilismGirdlesuddenly_humanAyiekie
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    See while I do NOT agree with how he put it or the decision he came to because of it, I DO understand the sentiment.

I don't mind diversity but since when did it become wrong (politically incorrect) to NOT want it cheaply thrown in my face/down my throat every chance someone gets for the sole reason of simply ticking a checkbox?

I strongly believe that every human ever born should be equal but, like I posted in another thread, I think that people should stop identifying themselves based on how they like their intercourse and instead focus on what they're like as PEOPLE.

Again, the deepest, greatest line on the matter from my favorite character in the series
    (and if you've seen it you'll know that the same actress plays a couple of dozen of characters, every other one being straight).
    wraith5641Rathenau
  • OzwartOzwart Member Posts: 4
    Skip it
    One bugs.
    Two SJW bullshit is just unacceptable, i am myself studying in political science and i would never bastardise a story and some character in the name of pushing my little political or social propaganda. I would never go and impose my little crusade to other in their free time and hobby, doing so is rude, assholish and disgusting.
    Voting with my money and i vote against nagging people and bastardizing their favorite game or story in the name of propaganda.
    Rathenau
  • KelvrynKelvryn Member Posts: 44
    What controversy?
  • laeknirlaeknir Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2016
    Not at all. I don't see it as a controversy, just a few minor bits of the game that could use improvement. I pre-ordered, anyway, but this would've made no difference.
    GenderNihilismGirdleSkarose
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    It made me even more wanting to buy the game (although I already did before)
    SkaroseGenderNihilismGirdle
  • GellidusGellidus Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Like many have said before, i picked this option purely on the fact that it really didn't have an option for me like "Maybe, after the patch and i learn more about the expansion"

Now firstly, love that you people at beamdog gave me a Baldur's gate Enhanced Edition for both 1 & 2. As you can guess i am a bioware fan, which started at Neverwinter nights. (Could you peoples do an Enhanced edition for that? :D ) Though when they were first released i kinda missed them since i was like... 10 at the time... so when i saw these two on steam, instant buy no questions asked, love bioware love the writing lets see how they did back in the day. Too that i say <3

So why, oh god why would you tear away at bioware's established character in safana... since this takes in-between 1 & 2 you just can't change a character you don't like only to have them snap back to themselves once you move onto 2!

Imagine if you will that in the original star wars trilogy that Luke Skywalker in 4 and 6 was the Luke that we know but in the empire strikes back he started acting like Darth Vader... would you not go "wait, hold up a minute, what?!" This bothers me... this bothers me a lot, you basically spit on the existing character since you didn't like their personalty...

After all i have been hearing too, like someone who will actively hit on the player even if the player themselves aren't interested. awesome, since in most games you yourself have to actively seek out your romance interest, its refreshing regardless who it is coming from. I do also believe that Anders from dragon age 2 (love the story, was... annoyed at best at that all the caves and house's that all looked the damn same!) Did the very same thing, kinda... that horny bastard XD

What about the rest of the controversy? To that i say, don't care. My main issue is the inconsistency with the character and it is hard to find someone in the middle that can look at the issue objectively. some say this, some say that... all annoying. someone paint me an UNBIASED picture here so i don't just say "fuck it, i am just gonna wait for Dark souls 3 for three days..."
    Blakes7Rathenau
  • AvlanAvlan Member Posts: 21
    XartaX said:

You realize that's a persona, right? It's literally an act. For entertainment. I'm not saying Francis (his persona) is a voice of reason. How is what you're saying remotely relevant to how reasonable he himself is?

"I only act like a child for ratings, pandering youtube for more subscribers, and making extra revenue, but everything else I say outside of my character is totally legit and should be taken seriously."

If you want your opinions to be respected and relevant, you have to gain your audience through respectable means. So again, no. Whats next, taking political advice from pewdiepie?
    GenderNihilismGirdlemf2112