Skip to content

Best Kit for entire Saga

Hey, I'm not new here (Been lurking around the forums for quite a few years) and I want to be prepared for an entire run of all the BG games with the same character. So, what is the best Race and Class from a ROLEPLAYING perspective for the entire saga?

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    From a role-playing perspective and a combat perspective, I tend to avoid kits that signal a supporting role in battle – CHARNAME is the child of a god, so s/he should be slinging powerful spells or skewering enemies, not singing songs or plucking away with a sling. Good options include any of the fighter, mage, or paladin kits. Because they draw their magic from a mysterious innate source, sorcerers make a good role-playing class. Fighter/mages are great because you just don't see them elsewhere in the game, which gives you the feeling of having a rare/unique power befitting your divine heritage.

For evil characters, assassin or blackguard. The former isn't as combat friendly, but totally embodies the whole God of Murder thing - I'm doing an evil assassin run now and it feels more immersive than a lot of my good play throughs.

Wizard slayer would be an ideal role-playing class given the antagonists in BGII onward, but it's godawful to play.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    From a ROLEPLAYING perspective, every and any kit is equally good, since there are few to none things about your character that is static. You're a child of bhaal, Gorion took care of you, you've lived in candlekeep. Anything makes sense.

If you mean that you're looking for a rich and coherent roleplaying experience, then you should probably play something good. Despite improvements by beamdog, playing evil is still lacking in terms of overall quantity of quests, NPCs etc.
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    If you really want to RP hard then you could go for an mage as you were raised by Gorion who was a mage himself.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I like perso a dual-wielding rogue that is in the fort lines, so swashbuckler does it for me. (this class sucks at backstabbing)

But it will take you unto at least mid stages of BG2 to feel bad-ass. I think it is worth the wait, and love this class for my immersion.

But, say, winning the SoD single-combat duel at core I did not even try after two times ass kicked, because invisibility purging, self-healing, close and range combating tank is woefully harsh for a poor THACO, poor back-stab character whose stealth counts for little!

Compare with Dragon Age Origins or Dragon Age 2 boss fight... Taking down Loghain or Arishok (eventually) at hard having assassin/shadow rogue was glorious gaming moment for me!

I do not actually resent that fight - only it maybe should be like in Underdark tavern in BG2, or Dragon Age Origins.

If your class is not well suited - name a champion. My rogue can take on Teyrn Loghain in DA:O, at that stage, not a prob - but I do enjoy offering my mabari for the funny dialgoue! ;-)
  • SurullinenSurullinen Member Posts: 15
    Purudaya said:

Wizard slayer would be an ideal role-playing class given the antagonists in BGII onward, but it's godawful to play.

You could always go the Wizard slayer/thief dual, but honestly it takes wayyy too long. And then there is the dual class import/export glitch with the hitpoints...

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Purudaya said:

You could always go the Wizard slayer/thief dual, but honestly it takes wayyy too long. And then there is the dual class import/export glitch with the hitpoints...

Even with my swashbuckler, I genuinely look fwd to the "use any item" moment.

From technocratic point of view, I'd say plain fighter, plain specialized mage against illusion, or fighter/cleric is always the "best."

But still I choose swashbuckler, because the leveling up is so much fun. And a party shall help you, when you are still bit underwhelming for a god-child... :-)

Kensai-mage is supposed to be fine, too.
    And if you're not concerned about balance, EEKeeper yourself a flavorful combination otherwise not possible. Fighter/shadowdancer and wild sorcerer come to mind – you can justify pretty much anything as a result of your demigodliness, then set self-imposed rules or crank up the difficulty to make sure it stays fun/challenging. Alternatively, you can give yourself a few innate abilities your class wouldn't otherwise have (eg Minsc & Dynaheir) and balance those out elsewhere.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    For me I don't feel that any class or race is better in term of roleplaying. The major effect of race is for romance in BG2. This adds a significant dimension to the game but each character you can romance has different requirements to trigger the romance. The class also determines which stronghold quest you have in BG2. Having a neutral alignement and a mix of good and evil companion can make for interesting banter.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    For role-playing the entire series, I think a Bard (Blade) is best best.

You pick up some magic from gorian, but you also have the thieving and combat tendencies of your actual dad.

Also should you throw in with evil later on, no repercussions later on, unlike ranger or Paladin.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I'd say...sorcerer. Divine blood, raised by a Mage. At the same Imoen talks about you skipping classes, the journal comes across more snarky than smart, and you can't do things like fix the planar sphere.
  • OrangemooseOrangemoose Member Posts: 83
    Dragon Disciple hands down.
    Kind of disappointed in not having any special conversation options when talking to dragons, but it did give me roleplaying options of trying to become the strongest dragon by killing every one I found.
    Also disappointed DD didn't get a shape change into dragon at level 20 or something, would that be possible to mod in?
    I'm thinking of going as a shadowdancer. Bhaal was an assassin, but Gorion as a mage raised the character so it's basically a magical assassin. Of course, I could go Assasin/Mage but I hate the import hp glitch. So. Much.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Tenrecc said:

From a ROLEPLAYING perspective, every and any kit is equally good, since there are few to none things about your character that is static. You're a child of bhaal, Gorion took care of you, you've lived in candlekeep. Anything makes sense.

If you mean that you're looking for a rich and coherent roleplaying experience, then you should probably play something good. Despite improvements by beamdog, playing evil is still lacking in terms of overall quantity of quests, NPCs etc.

Barbarian doesn't make sense. They get more HP because they have grown up in a harsh area of the Forgotten Realms. + barbarians can't read.
    Rawgrim said:

Barbarian doesn't make sense. They get more HP because they have grown up in a harsh area of the Forgotten Realms. + barbarians can't read.

Neither does playing any of the long living races to be honest.
    An 18 year old elf shouldn't be an adult.

• jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127

Rawgrim said:

Neither does playing any of the long living races to be honest.
    An 18 year old elf shouldn't be an adult.

Well you could say that Bhaal's blood made them mature faster. ;)
    jankiel said:

Well you could say that Bhaal's blood made them mature faster. ;)

Considering some of the enemies in ToB I guess you'd have to.

Rawgrim said:

Tenrecc said:

True, and even in IWD it doesn't make much sence...
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2016
    Tenrecc said:

Not so sure about "anything". I mean, RP is RP and I guess you can imagine anything, but by pure logic - you live in the LIBRARY under the care of a MAGE. How on Earth can you grow up as a ranger or druid, for example?

I am with Purudaya on it: sorcerer (natural affinity to magic), faghter-mage (some violence correcter by swordplay with guards) or paladins\blackguards - sounds the most reasonable.

Dragon Disciple hands down.
    Kind of disappointed in not having any special conversation options when talking to dragons, but it did give me roleplaying options of trying to become the strongest dragon by killing every one I found.
    Also disappointed DD didn't get a shape change into dragon at level 20 or something, would that be possible to mod in?

Would love to hear the answer to that question too! And - yes, DD in in my list of the "logical" Baal-spawns too.

I'm thinking of going as a shadowdancer. Bhaal was an assassin, but Gorion as a mage raised the character so it's basically a magical assassin. Of course, I could go Assasin/Mage but I hate the import hp glitch. So. Much.

Shadowdancer is a lot of fun and has a great simulacrum HLA. My only complaint is that it needs a little thac0 bonus like other kits that are more combat-centric.
  • BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    A good child of bhaal is even worse than a good drow. Blackguard is the best choice.
    edited April 2016
    Purudaya said:

Shadowdancer is a lot of fun and has a great simulacrum HLA. My only complaint is that it needs a little thac0 bonus like other kits that are more combat-centric.

Being invisible gives you +4 bonus and you can essentially hide in plain sight before each attack. In most situations, you essentially have a heafty bonus on each attack in addition to being hard to target. Your backstab is lower, but each hit can be a backstab. It's probably the most efficient pure class thief in combat. Giving an extra thac0 bonus would be excessive I think.
  • mikklemikkle Member Posts: 39
    I think there are many options, other childs of bhaal represent many different classes. However yes, I can see charname as somebody who can use magic , but us also very good at physical combat
    edited April 2016
    Francois said:

Purudaya said:

Being invisible gives you +4 bonus and you can essentially hide in plain sight before each attack. In most situations, you essentially have a heafty bonus on each attack in addition to being hard to target. Your backstab is lower, but each hit can be a backstab. It's probably the most efficient pure class thief in combat. Giving an extra thac0 bonus would be excessive I think.
    I forgot about the +4 bonus, of course you're right. I guess I just feel like there aren't enough combat viable thieves in general (or at least none that can compete with an unkitted Fighter). AD&D balances this out with lots of non-combat bonuses, but those arent front and center in-game aside from the "utility" ones.

I've always wanted to play a swashbuckler but end up picking something else - does it hold its own alongside more traditional melee characters?
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    Charname is a alter ego of Sarevok, so if you want RP game you should pick Human, fighter, but fighter is so boring, pick Paladin kit Cavalier, why ? because first you are a son of god so you need some divine powers, more divine power !, second canon party is a "good" party and charnam was rise as a good lawful kid. You are a charname, leader of your party so high charisma is ok for leadership and how you what to be a hero if you are not a Cavalier. So pick Cavalier and bash evil with Carsomir !. Have Fun !
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Well I think a pure class assassin is great. Very tactical and rewarding play experience. Poison Weapon has been nerfed at high levels though so I'm not sure how this new version will work in BG2. Nonetheless I think it's a great class.
    Francois said:

Purudaya said:

Exactly, and I am pretty sure they got rid of the "Assasin with staff of the Magi" thing in BG2 so Shadowdancer is great in terms of roleplaying and good ol' backstabbing. And my character is evil, so an evil magician thief...
    edited April 2016
    Swashy is great at leveling up quickly even in a party, that 3* in dual wield packs a punch and the armour class bonus is great. The problem is at levels lower than 14 it is pretty hard to get around with no backstab and no heavy armour. I've played multiple times as one but I have always preffered fighter/thief...
    Post edited by Surullinen on
    Purudaya said:

I've always wanted to play a swashbuckler but end up picking something else - does it hold its own alongside more traditional melee characters?

I never played a swashbuckler either. I don't really see their point compared to a F/T.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Gnome. Gnome. Gnome.

Illusionist after your dad. Theif after your sister. Multiclass!

Gnome is classed the best and is the best class to play.