Skip to content

Has the controversy made you more hesitant towards buying Siege of Dragonspear?

Comments

• LAZERDOGLAZERDOG Member Posts: 27
    Actually I hadn't planned on buying the game now. It seemed way too linear and it doesn't sound like a game you could pacifist run.

However since I love the #GamerGate folks so much and they wholeheartedly recommended the game I bought it right away :smile:
    BelleSorciereGrummf2112
  • XartaXXartaX Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2016
    Avlan said:

XartaX said:

You realize that's a persona, right? It's literally an act. For entertainment. I'm not saying Francis (his persona) is a voice of reason. How is what you're saying remotely relevant to how reasonable he himself is?

"I only act like a child for ratings, pandering youtube for more subscribers, and making extra revenue, but everything else I say outside of my character is totally legit and should be taken seriously."

If you want your opinions to be respected and relevant, you have to gain your audience through respectable means. So again, no. Whats next, taking political advice from pewdiepie?
    He has two different sides to his youtube channel. One is merely entertainment (Francis, Jesse weighs in, etc.), the other is when he talks about more serious things (boogie). The fact that you can't segregate the two speaks volumes about you more than him.
    Rathenau
  • AvlanAvlan Member Posts: 21
    He has two different sides to his youtube channel. One is merely entertainment (Francis, Jesse weighs in, etc.), the other is when he talks about more serious things (boogie). The fact that you can't segregate the two speaks volumes about you more than him.
    About me? You are correct. I don't go to childish youtube channels for serious discussions on current political topics. Only a child would.

• AeriTAeriT Member Posts: 9
    I still have BGI and BGII boxes laying around here but I wasn't going to buy the EE as I still have a backlog of other games.
    Due to GG focusing on the expansion I went and bought the EE+SoD rightaway.
    I'm actually playing through BG now, loving the nostalgia so thanks for putting it back on my radar!
    Skarose
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    Now that the poll has ran for a couple of days it is readily apparent why Beamdog decided to ease their stance as they did (and will prolly further do).

In a poll conducted on their own forums 7/10 said that this whole "controversy" thing didn't affect them.
    That's good, right?

WRONG, that just means that Beamdog just lost 30% of purchases that should have been effortlessly theirs from the get-go.

And that's just members of THEIR forums, in all certainty that number is significantly higher among all BG fans that would have been their target audience.

Guys, we can argue all we want on whether BD were right the first, second or n-th time.
    The fact of the matter is that when numbers talk, rhetories walk...
    Rathenau
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I didn't find out about until last night when I was browsing another forum, which shows how out of touch I've been in keeping up with what is going on with BG. I had already pre-ordered the CE. Its bad enough I get this stuff forced fed on me on Facebook and Twitter, I don't need the games I play to get political. Keep the damn politics out and make games.
    Personally I don't care who you fall in love with or who you bang as long as its between two consenting adults. Just stop sticking it in my face every chance you get.
    LoldrupGodKaiserHellRathenau
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    edited April 2016
    for me is more important story quality, new party npcs, dungeons than sam low npc.
    Achterklad
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    I'll only have second thoughts if they start making safe spaces in future patches. :smiley:
    Rathenau
  • Graf_WasiliGraf_Wasili Member Posts: 60
    Yes, but because they removed this Minsc line. It was funny as hell and I hope I will be able to download it somewhere when I start playing the game.
    GenderNihilismGirdlemf2112LAZERDOG
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

I'll only have second thoughts if they start making safe spaces in future patches. :smiley:

more like SJWtuary!! Abjurers didn't used to coddle you with all this uwu stuff and now you see them protecting people all the time when was this ever canon?!

this breaks my immersion and feels totally out of place they should let every spell penetrate Abjuration spells if you're Evil and don't like this newfangled modern take on Abjuration but that's just this True Gamer Crocodile's Opinion
    SilverstarGrum
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Well I guess we have a use for the belt of gender now.
    Rathenau
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Feilakas said:

Now that the poll has ran for a couple of days it is readily apparent why Beamdog decided to ease their stance as they did (and will prolly further do).

In a poll conducted on their own forums 7/10 said that this whole "controversy" thing didn't affect them.
    That's good, right?

WRONG, that just means that Beamdog just lost 30% of purchases that should have been effortlessly theirs from the get-go.

And that's just members of THEIR forums, in all certainty that number is significantly higher among all BG fans that would have been their target audience.

Guys, we can argue all we want on whether BD were right the first, second or n-th time.
    The fact of the matter is that when numbers talk, rhetories walk...

Uh, No. 14% said they wouldn't buy it. A number of commenters have stated they are now going to buy it on multiple platforms.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Controversy is not an issue. But having seen a bunch of those screenshots popping up on the forum, that shows the wonky writing. I think I will skip this one now.
    Rathenau
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2016
    No, but it change my view. Because of the team good handling of the problem I end up buying the collector edition in addition of the version I already have.

Love support teams that handle things without erasing trans existence to gain peace.
    GrumGenderNihilismGirdleKivan_D
  • AmahAmah Member Posts: 18
    I learned a lot about inclusiveness being exclusive for just not everyone these couple of days.

Is there a way of changing my vote to" yes, I'll skip it?" And I don't feel very much at home here, is there a way to quit my forum account or at least a clean way to disable it?

nevertheless, for those who are happy with SOD, enjoy, for those who aren't I keep my fingers crossed someone listens.
    LoldrupRathenau
  • GellidusGellidus Member Posts: 2
    mzachary said:

Gellidus said:

So why, oh god why would you tear away at bioware's established character in safana... since this takes in-between 1 & 2 you just can't change a character you don't like only to have them snap back to themselves once you move onto 2!

Imagine if you will that in the original star wars trilogy that Luke Skywalker in 4 and 6 was the Luke that we know but in the empire strikes back he started acting like Darth Vader... would you not go "wait, hold up a minute, what?!"

Give that Safana in BG1 is basically 'woman who just talks in a sultry/flirty way' and in BG2 is 'former party member who is only present to betray you'. What then do you find inconsistent with her in SoD?
    The problem is I DO NOT KNOW since i clearly don't own the dlc as of right now. I just see two sides bickering over this shit to a point where anyone standing in the middle has 2 sides just screaming at one anther.

So you tell me, why do some people believe this is a betrayal of the character? As well what was wrong with a woman who talks in a sultry/flirty way? Do these people NOT exist in the real world...? 'cause i am pretty sure the world is filled with ALL TYPES of people who have different personality from one anther and use different means to get what they want...

I guess I'll stick to my original plan since it seems impossible to get a straight answer from someone who can look at this objectively. 58 hours till dark souls 3.
    Rathenau
  • AvlanAvlan Member Posts: 21

Will these safe spaces allow hand raising?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/03/student-accused-of-violating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

"Student accused of violating university 'safe space' by raising her hand"
    Rathenau
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    After seeing many screenshots with the writing and dialogues from SoD I don't think I will buy it. BG:EE was quite a disappointment for me in the first place, as I prefer the rules of the original BG over BG2 (no pause in inventory, hidden wand charges and other stuff that made the game more difficult and interesting), and now I'm playing the original BG1 again because it works flawless on my laptop, and even at the original low resolution (640x480 pixels) it's still looking sharper than with EE zoom in feature. But this whole mess with the mundane conflicts pushed into this new game means to me that Beamdog is not up to the task to continue the line of a legendary game, and they lost me as a customer. When I'm playing a game I want to escape the obsessions of the modern society, not encounter them again in the game. A great writer can create interesting characters without resorting to facile hackneyed themes.
    Rathenau
    Grum said:

So walk. These forums are flooded by trolls who have flocked here to push their political agendas down our throats. I for one am tired of these gg's and their constant propoganda.

mf2112 said:

Uh, No. 14% said they wouldn't buy it. A number of commenters have stated they are now going to buy it on multiple platforms.

You're both completely missing the point.
    72% answered that this didn't affect them at all, the other 28% either said it affected them or were on the fence.
    That IS lost sales, either completely or at a later date.
    And concerning the "walk" part, if you're too lazy to check how I answered, just check my vote, it is shown at the top of every post I make in this thread.

The real point is that this expansion was a trial run for whether Beamdog will be tasked with bringing Baldur's Gate 3 to the world.

That's what concerns mostly everyone that still takes the time to try and do damage control, after all, it's not skin off our back.

The damage has been done, what is of importance is that Beamdog shows they've learned from it and that they'll do better next time.
    SionIVRathenau
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    Why there not the option "Yes i buy it because of the controversy" ?
    killerrabbitGenderNihilismGirdleBelgarathMTH
    ^ Good point, I'll one-up you though and request if at all possible an option that says "I upgraded my purchase or bought it twice/thrice just to balance things out"

It'd be interesting to see how fans of Beamdog's work have been able to balance out the disappointed BG fans
    edited April 2016
    Feilakas said:

Grum said:

So walk. These forums are flooded by trolls who have flocked here to push their political agendas down our throats. I for one am tired of these gg's and their constant propoganda.

mf2112 said:

You're both completely missing the point.
    72% answered that this didn't affect them at all, the other 28% either said it affected them or were on the fence.
    That IS lost sales, either completely or at a later date.
    And concerning the "walk" part, if you're too lazy to check how I answered, just check my vote, it is shown at the top of every post I make in this thread.

The real point is that this expansion was a trial run for whether Beamdog will be tasked with bringing Baldur's Gate 3 to the world.

That's what concerns mostly everyone that still takes the time to try and do damage control, after all, it's not skin off our back.

The damage has been done, what is of importance is that Beamdog shows they've learned from it and that they'll do better next time.
    Uh, No. 80% answered that it didn't affect them or that they would end up buying it. 72% + 8% = 80%.

14% percent answered that it would make them not buy it. Not 28%.

3% answered that they were unsure.

You are missing the point friend. The reach and grasp of these folks are two different things. They are loud, but they are not nearly as many as they would like everyone to believe.
    Feilakas said:

^ Good point, I'll one-up you though and request if at all possible an option that says "I upgraded my purchase or bought it twice/thrice just to balance things out"

It'd be interesting to see how fans of Beamdog's work have been able to balance out the disappointed BG fans

I have all the games on the PC, but in fact I will be buying SOD for my Android tablet as well to round out the trilogy there once it is released.
    KcoQuidam said:

Why there not the option "Yes i buy it because of the controversy" ?

Because the OP was against the game and slanted the poll options.
    SkaroseGrumAyiekieGenderNihilismGirdle
  • ElGuapoElGuapo Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2016
    I bought the game on Steam and was pretty unimpressed with it before becoming aware of any controversy. The UI is horrid, as is the writing, plus all the bugs. Granted, I did not play much because I didn't enjoy what I saw of it. The 2.0 "upgrade" for the enhanced edition is also baffling. It looks like it was designed for Android but has been forced into a PC game. I'd recently purchased the BGI/II EE and enjoyed playing through them but the upgrade and SoD sorely disappointed me at first glance. I'd decided to just let it sit and hope improvements would be made.

I came back earlier this week to read up on how things were going. That's when I became aware of the "controversy." I was terribly dismayed by the actions of Beamdog. Amber Scott's comments displayed a complete disdain for the franchise and the gamers. Dee's tweets to involve Feminist Frequency and all that were extremely childish and only served to distract from the legitimate concerns over the gameplay and game mechanics. These are the people entrusted with a beloved franchise and, to me personally, they betrayed that trust.

The original Baldurs Gate was the first PC game I ever bought. I played through it dozens of times, and of course BGII and the expansions. It's my all time favorite franchise. Thankfully I still have all the old CD versions. I might have to see if they still work.

I did like the enhanced editions, and had high hopes for SoD and future games, but as of right now, I no longer have any faith in this company.

I won't get into all the arguments that have been rehashed many times, but for me, the deal breaker is the overall attitude that things need to be fixed/upgraded/improved in a franchise that's nearly 20 years old. I just want to play Baldurs Gate, the game that I love and have enjoyed for so many years. New content in the same vein would be wonderful. I do not want a new UI. I do not want to be told that the games I love are sexist and that the characters need to be fixed and upgraded, which makes absolutely no sense in an expansion that takes place between two existing games that have been out forever. The customer base for these games is people who liked them the way they were, who liked the gameworld. To insult them and alienate them displays a stunning lack of business sense. It's a fairly narrow and focused potential market for this material. Antagonizing a large portion of that group is beyond foolish.

In short, I got refunded on SoD and the way that Beamdog has handled the entire situation has destroyed their credibility with me. If something changes I may give them another chance, but they have a lot of work to do and the antagonistic attitude, along with shifting attention away from legitimate issues, does not give me much hope.
    Post edited by ElGuapo on
    XartaXLoldrupRathenau
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2016
    There is no doubt that this controversy has caused damage, not just with sales, but also with their reputation. It's going to be an uphill battle from here for them, and they will need to sit down and reconsider their views on the games that they develop, and what goes into them.

This controversy isn't a small thing that is just spoken about on this forum, it's spoken about everywhere. There are tens of movies on youtube talking about it as well.

"Was thinking about getting this, but after this fiasco, I lost all interest. I'm not particularly excited about supporting companies that basically say that they don't care much for me mine, even if they change their mind after seeing how many "me and mine" there are out there."

"I love Baldur's Gate but i hate SJWs more, so no, I ain't buying shit."

"Someone calling Baldurs gate sexist and spitting on the fans I ain't gonna support."

"The fact they let SJW trash get their hands in writing the game in the first place is the problem. I still won't be buying the game. "

"I might buy the Enhanced Editions one day, but not this expansion. "

"As a developer I honestly have less respect for them now for pulling the joke."

"I have a feeling the damage has already been done."

"I don't care what Beamdog does at this point. They hired that writer and allowed her free reign which included insulting their potential customers."

There are hundreds of these, everywhere. I'm not quoting these to be negative, I just want to show that the people who are writing on this forum are a very small part of the gaming community. This isn't going to disappear in a few weeks, when people think of Beamdog, this will be the first thing that comes to many peoples mind. It makes me sad, because I don't want the BG:EE games to suffer, for this one DLC.

Post edited by SionIV on
    ElGuapoXartaXRathenau
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    SionIV said:

There is no doubt that this controversy has caused damage, not just with sales, but also with their reputation. It's going to be an uphill battle from here for them, and they will need to sit down and reconsider their views on the games that they develop, and what goes into them.

This controversy isn't a small thing that is just spoken about on this forum, it's spoken about everywhere. There are tens of movies on youtube talking about it as well.

"Was thinking about getting this, but after this fiasco, I lost all interest. I'm not particularly excited about supporting companies that basically say that they don't care much for me mine, even if they change their mind after seeing how many "me and mine" there are out there."

"Someone calling Baldurs gate sexist and spitting on the fans I ain't gonna support."

"The fact they let SJW trash get their hands in writing the game in the first place is the problem. I still won't be buying the game. "

"As a developer I honestly have less respect for them now for pulling the joke."

"I don't care what Beamdog does at this point. They hired that writer and allowed her free reign which included insulting their potential customers."

There are hundreds of these, everywhere. I'm not quoting these to be negative, I just want to show that the people who are writing on this forum are a very small part of the gaming community. This isn't going to disappear in a few weeks, when people think of Beamdog, this will be the first thing that comes to many peoples mind. It makes me sad, because I don't want the BG:EE games to suffer, for this one DLC.

And this is it. People like you who can't stop pushing your political and social agendas down are throats are trying to ensure that there is no baldurs gate 3 because your crusade against sjws is all encompassing.

I'm really tired of you running up to everyone and shoving your agenda down our throats.
    GenderNihilismGirdleLAZERDOG
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited April 2016
    Grum said:

SionIV said:

And this is it. People like you who can't stop pushing your political and social agendas down are throats are trying to ensure that there is no baldurs gate 3 because your crusade against sjws is all encompassing.

I'm really tired of you running up to everyone and shoving your agenda down our throats.
    Excuse me...

People like me?

My political and social agendas?

You're tired of me running up to everyone and showing my agenda down your throats?

You might want to take a deep breath and perhaps log out from this forum for a while, there is no need to attack me personally for stating my opinion and showing concern. I've written only a few posts in the last weeks, and none of them have in any way been aggressive or offending, and I don't see why I should be insulted like that when I have done nothing to you nor anyone else.
    Rathenau