Skip to content

On portraits

13»

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    @Silverstar , did you click to the right or to the left to see the portraits. The behavior is completely different. When I click left, I have to use multiple clicks for each portrait and there's male and female pictures. When I click to the right it all works as it should.
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was dismayed and annoyed at yet another arbitrary and unneeded 'feature' such as this. Spending literally 10+minutes and getting carpal tunnel syndrome just on the portrait portion of character creation when you have hundreds to flip through couldn't at all have been deemed a good design change or decision at Beamdog HQ.
    GodKaiserHell
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    BillyYank said:

Silverstar , did you click to the right or to the left to see the portraits. The behavior is completely different. When I click left, I have to use multiple clicks for each portrait and there's male and female pictures. When I click to the right it all works as it should.

Remembering you mentioning the left click behaviour in the beta, I've since just scrolled right as I too had the same issue with that. I tried it now though and it makes no difference. Whether I scroll left or right there's a few pictures seemingly just missing and some of the ones I've tried to set gender sorting on appears twice (and for both genders), though not consecutively.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    New portrait screen is much better, than the pure text version we had before. Still could be better yet with something like the nwn portrait selection where you can see multiple images at once.
    Dee said:

It doesn't distinguish, but the very first thing you'll see when you open up BGEE.lua is this table:

portraits =
    {
    {'MAN1', 1},
    {'MAN2', 1},
    {'GENDWRF', 1},
    {'GENMELF', 1},
    {'GENMHLF', 1},
    --{'NHORC', 1},
    {'AJANTIS', 1},
    {'CORAN', 1},
    {'EDWIN', 1},
    {'ELDOTH', 1},
    {'GARRICK', 1},
    {'KAGAIN', 1},
    {'KHALID', 1},
    {'KIVAN', 1},
    {'MINSC', 1},
    {'MONTAR', 1},
    {'QUAYLE', 1},
    {'TIAX', 1},
    {'XAN', 1},
    {'XZAR', 1},
    {'YESLICK', 1},
    {'RASAAD', 1},
    {'DORN', 1},
    --{'BAELOTH', 1},
    --{'NCERND', 1},
    --{'NKELDOR', 1},
    --{'NANOMEN', 1},
    --{'NEDWIN', 1},
    --{'NHAER', 1},
    --{'NJAN', 1},
    --{'NMINSC', 1},
    --{'NVALYGA', 1},
    --{'NYOSHIM', 1},
    --{'NKORGAN', 1},
    {'MANLEY0', 1},
    {'MANLEY3', 1},
    {'MANLEY6', 1},
    {'MANLEY7', 1},
    {'MANLEY8', 1},
    {'MANLEY9', 1},
    {'BDSHAM1', 1},
    {'BDORCM1', 1},
    {'WOMAN1', 2},
    {'WOMAN2', 2},
    {'ALORA', 2},
    {'BRANWE', 2},
    {'DYNAHEI', 2},
    {'FALDORN', 2},
    {'IMOEN', 2},
    {'JAHEIRA', 2},
    {'SAFANA', 2},
    {'SHARTEL', 2},
    {'SKIE', 2},
    {'VICONIA', 2},
    {'NEERA', 2},
    --{'NNALIA', 2},
    --{'NMAZZY', 2},
    --{'NAERIE', 2},
    --{'NJAHEIR', 2},
    --{'NVICON', 2},
    {'MANLEY1', 2},
    {'MANLEY2', 2},
    {'MANLEY4', 2},
    {'MANLEY5', 2},
    {'MANLEYX', 2},
    {'BDSHAF1', 2},
    {'BDORCF1', 2}
    }

1 means male, 2 means female. Add a line for each of the custom portraits you want to specify a gender for, and they'll only show up in the appropriate list. (any portraits not specified will be displayed for both genders.)
    @Dee I can confirm that this no longer works in the Steam version of BGEE w/SOD. I found a copy of BGEE.lua in the SOD .zip file and put it in override, then added my portraits. The game actually started, but the male/female division of my portraits was ignored. It looks like override doesn't override the .zip file.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @BillyYank: Did you run the modmerge tool?

I've just tried it myself on the Steam version, and the lua file definitely has effect, just not exactly the desired effect, as it shows the ones I've added to the lua twice for the appropriate gender, and once for the other gender, while images I didn't specify appeared once for each gender.
    Thels said:

BillyYank: Did you run the modmerge tool?

I've just tried it myself on the Steam version, and the lua file definitely has effect, just not exactly the desired effect, as it shows the ones I've added to the lua twice for the appropriate gender, and once for the other gender, while images I didn't specify appeared once for each gender.

I tried it without any spesific tool, just Textpad. Getting that effect, duplication of portraits, but not removal for the wrong gender.
  • ThunderThunder Member Posts: 157
    edited April 2016
    Out of curiosity, why not use a file selector window provided by your OS instead, Beamdog?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited April 2016
    BillyYank said:

Dee said:

It doesn't distinguish, but the very first thing you'll see when you open up BGEE.lua is this table:

portraits =
    {
    {'MAN1', 1},
    {'MAN2', 1},
    {'GENDWRF', 1},
    {'GENMELF', 1},
    {'GENMHLF', 1},
    --{'NHORC', 1},
    {'AJANTIS', 1},
    {'CORAN', 1},
    {'EDWIN', 1},
    {'ELDOTH', 1},
    {'GARRICK', 1},
    {'KAGAIN', 1},
    {'KHALID', 1},
    {'KIVAN', 1},
    {'MINSC', 1},
    {'MONTAR', 1},
    {'QUAYLE', 1},
    {'TIAX', 1},
    {'XAN', 1},
    {'XZAR', 1},
    {'YESLICK', 1},
    {'RASAAD', 1},
    {'DORN', 1},
    --{'BAELOTH', 1},
    --{'NCERND', 1},
    --{'NKELDOR', 1},
    --{'NANOMEN', 1},
    --{'NEDWIN', 1},
    --{'NHAER', 1},
    --{'NJAN', 1},
    --{'NMINSC', 1},
    --{'NVALYGA', 1},
    --{'NYOSHIM', 1},
    --{'NKORGAN', 1},
    {'MANLEY0', 1},
    {'MANLEY3', 1},
    {'MANLEY6', 1},
    {'MANLEY7', 1},
    {'MANLEY8', 1},
    {'MANLEY9', 1},
    {'BDSHAM1', 1},
    {'BDORCM1', 1},
    {'WOMAN1', 2},
    {'WOMAN2', 2},
    {'ALORA', 2},
    {'BRANWE', 2},
    {'DYNAHEI', 2},
    {'FALDORN', 2},
    {'IMOEN', 2},
    {'JAHEIRA', 2},
    {'SAFANA', 2},
    {'SHARTEL', 2},
    {'SKIE', 2},
    {'VICONIA', 2},
    {'NEERA', 2},
    --{'NNALIA', 2},
    --{'NMAZZY', 2},
    --{'NAERIE', 2},
    --{'NJAHEIR', 2},
    --{'NVICON', 2},
    {'MANLEY1', 2},
    {'MANLEY2', 2},
    {'MANLEY4', 2},
    {'MANLEY5', 2},
    {'MANLEYX', 2},
    {'BDSHAF1', 2},
    {'BDORCF1', 2}
    }

1 means male, 2 means female. Add a line for each of the custom portraits you want to specify a gender for, and they'll only show up in the appropriate list. (any portraits not specified will be displayed for both genders.)
    @Dee I can confirm that this no longer works in the Steam version of BGEE w/SOD. I found a copy of BGEE.lua in the SOD .zip file and put it in override, then added my portraits. The game actually started, but the male/female division of my portraits was ignored. It looks like override doesn't override the .zip file.
    Well you can of course add your modified copy of Bgee.lua to the zip file and overwrite the file within...
    I bought the Beamdog version, so I don't have to deal with the zip thing anymore.

It's working on mine now. When I click to the right, it goes through the correct gender portraits in the order they're listed in BGEE.lua. Note that you can even displace the standard portraits in that list. If you list your favorite portraits before the default ones in the .lua file, they'll show up first. Once I've clicked past the portraits in the list, it will then start showing all my custom portraits in alphabetical order regardless of gender, including ones that were already showed in the listed ones. I think that might be intended behavior, it makes sense to show all the portraits after the registered ones, just in case you didn't find what you were looking for.

If I click left, it acts a little weirder. It starts showing my custom portraits, but for a lot of them, I have to click twice, as if it's counting the L and M, even though is only shows the L. The order is off too, it doesn't show my portraits in reverse alpha order, they seem to be scrambled. Eventually, it will get to the portraits I registered and show them in reverse order.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    SacredNym said:

(...) this is bordering on punishing players for using custom portraits and I can't understand why you want to do that.

A custom team is maximum 6 characters... So no need to put 20.000 portraits in the folder.
    illathid
    On the advice of Beamdog support, I moved my portraits to override instead of portraits, and now it's working like it should. Male and female portraits are properly divided and I only have to click once for each portrait no matter which way I click.

BTW, one thing I've noticed is the portraits appear in the order given in BGEE.lua, so if you put your custom portraits before the standard portraits, they'll show up first in the chooser.

http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/21989
    JuliusBorisov
    I've found that the naming convention can also cause issues. If a portrait has separate L and M versions, and the file name reaches 8 characters total before the file extension, only the large portrait will be used. It may also cause the "click multiple times but nothing happens bug", though I cannot recall for sure at the moment.
    Almost all of my portraits have filenames of exactly 8 characters and I haven't seen that problem. I use a naming scheme like: FDwCl01L.bmp.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    smeagolheartillathid
  • TheSHEEEPTheSHEEEP Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2016

1) the old method of choosing custom portraits was horrible and the new way is a lot nicer, even if not perfect;

Nonsense, the old method was superior by far.
    With the new method having a large number of portraits has simply become utterly impossible.
    And don't suggest managing portraits in the OS instead. Imagine that, fiddling around in your OS's file manager whenever you want to browse/set portraits.
    People install portrait packs, not install portrait packs, then look for the correct folder, browse through all of the portraits just to find the one they want - which they might not even know yet, as they don't know yet which characters they'll want to create.
    Seriously, no thought was put into this new "feature".

They only had to fix two tiny things about the old way:
    - Make mouse scroll work in the list
    - Auto-select the small version when the big one is selected (if file name matches) or even remove the small version selection completely, demanding proper naming

Would have been so much better than this.

Of course, an optimal solution would have been a simple gallery view with X portraits visible at the same time to click on for selection. Being a coder since over 10 years, it strikes me as absurd that it was never done this way. It would be so easy...

Post edited by TheSHEEEP on
    Swifty_Magee
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    TheSHEEEP said:

Of course, an optimal solution would have been a simple gallery view with X portraits visible at the same time to click on for selection. Being a coder since over 10 years, it strikes me as absurd that it was never done this way. It would be so easy...

Great idea, a portrait browser showing one or two+ rows of 5 portraits at a time and you click on one to bring up a bigger version.

Sounds like a great feature request.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on

TheSHEEEP said:

Great idea, a portrait browser showing on or two+ rows of 5 portraits at a time and you click on one to bring up a bigger version.

Sounds like a great feature request.
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/21643
    smeagolheart