Skip to content

Are any CHARNAMES actually spoken in the dialogs?

mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
I have wondered this for a while, google doesn't show anything. During the recordings, are any CHARNAMES spoken by the voice actors? Like Abdel or another name from canon? Sometimes it almost seems like it while listening some of them with the pacing.

Comments

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    mf2112 said:

I have wondered this for a while, google doesn't show anything. During the recordings, are any CHARNAMES spoken by the voice actors? Like Abdel or another name from canon? Sometimes it almost seems like it while listening some of them with the pacing.

I am about 100% sure that CHARNAMES are never voiced. Especially considering that player made fantasy names are vast and can take pretty much any form, it would be cost prohibitive to try and provide voice acting for even a fraction of them. I WISH they somehow could be voiced, though :)

As for canon, I don't know of many people who do okay throughs with Abdel, so I doubt it.

EDIT: play throughs with Abdel. Stupid phone.
    Post edited by Purudaya on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    There are no recorded charnames. All of them will be skipped in the voice over even if present in the text.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Realistically it would require pre-set identity, like say Hawke in Dragon Age 2. Even there, since the given name is optional, that's never voiced.

I mean - we all know that announcements in trains sound just a little funny because they are constructed from separate recordings. Maybe one day there could be an algorithm to combine syllables based on writing, but probably not just for gaming!
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    BTW - the way Varric (CHAR in DA2 & DA:I) does it might work, but then you'd need a brilliant personality like Varric: he just nicknames more or less everyone!

Varric is one of my favorite gaming characters ever - a tour de force par excellence of narrative devices, like story within a story, with admission he also lies a lot!

Even now, I've never gotten over Varric was not romanceable, lol. :-p
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I was hoping there might have been a spoken male and female CHARNAME, it would have added some interest to the voiced lines. Some of the lines almost sound like it the way they break, but I guess maybe the actors were just pausing slightly during the line.
  • RodyRody Member Posts: 22

Just get David Warner to voice hundreds of names, like in Fallout 4.

"So you have escaped MR BOOBIES. You are more resourceful than I thought."

It would be so awesome if we could have like the Narrator saying the CHARNAME at some point in time, no matter what it was.

The awesome part would be if it recognized weird names and added a "Really? Of all the possibilities you pick that?" or "School in Candlekeep was tough for CHARNAME, but he overcame that and other easier challenges such as his brother Saravok"
    Rody said:

It would be so awesome if we could have like the Narrator saying the CHARNAME at some point in time, no matter what it was.

The awesome part would be if it recognized weird names and added a "Really? Of all the possibilities you pick that?" or "School in Candlekeep was tough for CHARNAME, but he overcame that and other easier challenges such as his brother Saravok"
    I would definitely play a Dragon Disciple with a dragonish name that way. Although MR BOOBIES would be a strong second choice.....
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    sod may be the first time in the series they had your name in voiced lines and not just had a you.

sod may be the first time in the series they had your name in voiced lines and not just had a you.

Which voiced lines have your name?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    mf2112 said:

mf2112 said:

I need to go back and check but i think it was one of corwin's.

I would pay to hear David Warner say that in the game. Hysterical giggles ensue.....

Actually I really would pay to have David Warner record a lot of different CHARNAMES suggested in the forum, and then have them inserted at the beginning and end of various Irenicus lines. A small touch maybe, but a cool way to really bring the immersion home.
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Eh, the names in Forgotten Realms (and D&D in general) are far too various to lend themselves to voiceover. I hate the canon Abdel character so I certainly don't want that to be the only one voiced. The current and past system of cutting out the CHARNAME voice references works fine in my opinion.
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    I dont know what you guys are talking about.i couldnt get people to shut up about my name SANIC THE HEDCHOG the bhaalspawn.
    But really i guess you could just name yourself Boo and hsve hours of entertainment with Minsc.