Skip to content

How to start dating again

the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
So, after 5 years of marriage (and more than a year of being divorced) I find myself wanting to get back into dating again. I've tried the online dating thing and got nothing to show for it and I am finding it hard to meet new people so I thought I would throw it out to a community of my peers, particularly like minded people like I find here. How do you get back into dating?

Not that I think this will matter a whole lot, but I am a 40-something hetero guy living in 'The Burbs' of LA (USA). I'm not looking for people to say "Come meet me" (per say) but I am looking for ideas on how to get back out there in the world and meet people.

I am not much of a drinker, nor do I think that you find quality women hanging out at bars, so that really isn't my style. I am also an Atheist, so going to church isn't really an option. As I said, online dating is just brutal and really isn't an option.

I've started going to conventions like Gen CON (the biggest Gaming convention here in the US) and other smaller conventions locally and have had some success there.

Any other ideas out there? Or maybe, just share how you met your current partner and that might spark ideas.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    If you work it out, let me know...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    If I wasn't already married. I'd date you. It would be brilliant. Play BG or dungeons and dragons 24/7. Endless discussions on the merits of Jaheira and Viconia whilst eating pizza.

Honestly, women just make you tidy up, eat healthy food and massage their feet whilst watching one born every minute...

*sigh*
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Anduin said:

Honestly, women just make you tidy up, eat healthy food and massage their feet whilst watching one born every minute...

*sigh*

You can have the good food after you tiedied up this mess and finished the massage :P
    Maybe.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Thanks for the feedback.

So first of all, I started going to the gym about a year ago. I go 6-7 times a week regularly and am in pretty good shape. I'm not in professional athlete's shape or anything, but I am in the best shape of my life by a good margin. It definitely helps with mood and positive attitude.

I tried meetup groups and found by and large that they were not for me. The groups that I joined that were "Professional singles" I found I had nothing at all in common with and they were very Cliquee too boot. I joined a Buffy/Angel/Wedonverse group and that was OK, but everyone in that group were couples or married. And I joined a Magic the Gathering group and found they were all teenage boys. Not that all groups were like that, just saying that it is a hard nut to crack.

As for hobbies, I like movies and hiking. Obviously movies isn't a social activity, but hiking is. I've also been getting into Cosplay and really like that.

The convention thing is a bit of a mixed bag though. Although I really enjoy them and have had moderate success with them, they are expensive. And a lot of the time the people there have traveled from other parts of the country (or further) and long distance relationships are not ideal in my experience. but I like nothing more than a healthy dose of Nerdiness in my women and conventions are definitely the place for that type of thing. Plus the Cosplay is a great way to get noticed at places like that.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Honestly, online dating isn't that bad. I've had several long-lasting, meaningful relationships come out of it the past 5 years. My advice is to actually put a decent amount of thought into any first message, one that indicates you read their profile but also doesn't seem like you're just quoting things back to them. And don't be afraid to be picky yourself. If someone sends you a one word answer back, or if they message you with something that says "How are you today??", I usually give up on any prospects immediately.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    I forgot to mention before: Even though ladies may claim to be impressed by your noble bloodline, they still get upset when you press a de jure claim on their lands.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Whatever you do, don't get into long distance relationships. It really isn't worth the hassle, trust me. Avoid at all costs.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    I'd take a look at a guy called Coach Corey Wayne on YouTube.
    He's about your age I think and offers some good advice as well as dating tips.

And no, I am not talking about pick-up lines or lying or that garbage.
    There's nothing deceitful about improving yourself and your mindset with advice.

He has a book that you can download for free, I think, if you subscribe to his newsletter.

Other than that, be positive, fun and confident.
    You could always meet people online or friends of friends etc.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Archaos said:

I'd take a look at a guy called Coach Corey Wayne on YouTube.
    He's about your age I think and offers some good advice as well as dating tips.

And no, I am not talking about pick-up lines or lying or that garbage.
    There's nothing deceitful about improving yourself and your mindset with advice.

He has a book that you can download for free, I think, if you subscribe to his newsletter.

Other than that, be positive, fun and confident.
    You could always meet people online or friends of friends etc.

I can attest that confident and funny get you 75% of the way there if there is any chemistry whatsoever. I'm still working on the positive part, but since most of my humor goes against that line of thinking, I'll be like Meatloaf and say 2 out of 3 ain't bad....
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @jjstraka34 - Online dating is how I met my ex-wife. So I know it works, even if that didn't work out. I'm just not sure about it at this point in my life. But then again I have considered Speed Dating, so that can't be any worse.

@Archaos - I checked out that guy. I don't think that is my style at all. But thanks for the recommendation.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    I met my wife at work. So perhaps you can trick a woman to spend 40 hours a week with you in a cubicle farm somehow. Then just try to smell nice and avoid being too obnoxious.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Other relationships of mine started through school (see my advice above), or through friends. So also try to find friends that you don't want to sleep with.