Skip to content

Named Cowled Wizards, alive or dead, Full list

ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
I am trying to find all the named Cowled Wizards mentioned in the game or in canon sources. Please feel free to comment for additions if you remember/find out more. Here are the ones I have found this far:

Books:
Zallanora Argentresses (N/NE ef Nec36)
Meisarch Thyze Selemchant (deceased; CN hm Wiz12)
Tarkas Thallavv the Gemayor (N hm Wiz9)
Sendak Whitebrow (LG hm Conj7)
Lady Varytha Gheldieg (CE hf Nec9)
Alisar of Esmeltaran (deceased; first Cowled Wizard)

Game:
Tolgerias (CG hm Wiz21?), Planar Sphere quest
Corneil (LE hm Conj12), Government building
Wanev (N hm Conj18), Spellhold
Teos (LN hm Conj14), Planar Sphere stronghold quest
Jermien (LN hm Wiz14), Umar hills
Rayic Gethras (LE hm Wiz14), Docks district
Perth the Adept (LN hm Wiz18?), Brynnlaw
Lonk the Sane (LE hm Conj18?), Spellhold?
Khollynnus Paac (LE hf Conj17), Planar Sphere stronghold quest
Zallanora (LN ef Conj30, see above for canon info), Appears if you piss off Cowled Wizards

Self Proclaimed :p
Jon Irenicus (NE e? Wiz30), everywhere!
Post edited by Zanso on
MoradinGrum[Deleted User]BladeDancersemiticgoddesslolienJuliusBorisov

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited April 2016
    Great list! You did forget Jermien, the cowled wizard who lives in Umar Hills, though.

It is amazing how high level wizards simply grow on trees in BG2 !

Whoah, who on Earth is that Zallanora Argentresses? Level 36? OMG!
    ZansoJuliusBorisov
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Zanso said:

Tolgerias (CG hm W21)

o_O ah yes, the true hero of SoA
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited April 2016
    I think you've made a mistake there, Tolgerias is almost certainly Lawful Evil.

You can add Perth the Adept, Rayic Gethras, Lonk the Sane and Khollynuus Paac (?) to the list as well.
    Zansololien

I think you've made a mistake there, Tolgerias is almost certainly Lawful Evil.

You can add Perth the Adept, Rayic Gethras, Lonk the Sane and Khollynuus Paac (?) to the list as well.

Actually, Tolgerias's states and aligment are copied from Elminster's .
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    DJKajuru said:

Actually, Tolgerias's states and aligment are copied from Elminster's .

They did that for Irenicus too, the code-stealing bastards.
    DJKajuruMoradin
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2016
    @Artemius_I Tolgerias stats I took from his .cre file :o dunno what he should actually be. @DJKajuru You can find more info about Zallanora from Forgotten realms wiki :smile: Cowled Wizards sure have a lot of Conjurers :p@Abi_Dalzim no wonder she has endless supply of Time Stops since she is supposed to be one of the most powerful necromancers (or wizards) in Faerun :smiley: Szass Tam is only 29 :smiley:
    DJKajuruJuliusBorisovlolien
    It seems Zallanora is a LN 30th level Conjurer (female elf) in the game. Canon sources state her as being NE 36th level necromancer :smile:
    jackjack
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited April 2016
    She's a Conjurer, you say? Now that's interesting, it means you can fight her with improved invisibility. I don't actually fight the wizards much, so I'll see what I can do with that.

Also, I just browsed the wiki, and it says that she's actually a male human who pretends to be a relatively young elf. Being 105 and human would certainly explain the high level to some degree, but still, weird.
    edited April 2016
    @Abi_Dalzim actually he used to be male human. Then he became a demilich :D he was the ruler of Shoon Imperium, Shoon VII. The imperium itself was the dominant government of much of south and western Faerûn during the sixth age of Calimshan (27 – 450 DR). Time of Troubles somehow made Shoon VII and Zallanora switch bodies and Shoon's body was trapped in a book (and still is, but now the trapped one is actually the real Zallanora).
    DJKajuru
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    I think you can add Jon Irenicus to the list. He did a stint as the warden of Spellhold. That qualifies, right?
    DJKajuruZansololien
    edited April 2016

I think you can add Jon Irenicus to the list. He did a stint as the warden of Spellhold. That qualifies, right?

Jon: "Here's my resume"
    Wanev: "It says here you were the archmage of S.... (spoiler) , why did you quit that job?"
    Jon: "I made a mistake and I intend to learn from it...soon."
    Wanev: "Interesting, do you know our mission, mr. Jon?"
    Jon: "Magic is not allowed in Amn, unless it comes from us"
    Wanev: "Excellent, you're hired!"
    ZansoJuliusBorisovlolienPteran
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited April 2016
    One mistake I want to point out. Khollynus Paac was not in the planar sphere quest with Tolgerias, just an unnamed mage woman and some other guy, because I learned from one of the Lands of Intrigue sourcebooks (another form of canon source) that Khollynus is the boss of the Athkatla sect of Cowled Wizards, which makes him Tolgerias's superior, and there is a cardinal rule for D&D games not to kill off characters mentioned in sourcebooks in the main story or a side quest unless WoTC permits it. Zallanora's appearance in the game, however, is an exception-- you're not supposed to piss off the Cowled Wizards breaking their rules to progress through the game, her appearance is meant to show you that the Cowled Wizards are not pushovers, they can send their best after you if they wish it, and they would have done the same to Jon Irenicus if he continued resisting arrest.
    ZansoJuliusBorisovlolien
    edited April 2016
    @BladeDancer aa you are correct, my mistake. She was supposed to be in the Planar Sphere Stronghold quest. If remember correctly, giving the medals to the students, teleporting the knights out or just having a chat with the player. Can't remember the specifics. Sadly I don't know which canon book she can be found from. I checked Lands of Intrigue and wasn't there :/
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Zanso said:

I am trying to find all the named Cowled Wizards

I feel a burgeoning vendetta here...
    ZansoFinnTheHumanAnduinGozeta
    edited April 2016
    lolien said:

Zanso said:

I am trying to find all the named Cowled Wizards

I feel a burgeoning vendetta here...
    @lolien Haha! :D who wouldn't want to pay back for what they have done? :p it always best to start a vendetta with a plan and list of names :smiley: although I am going to use at least one of them in a mod I am making :p
    lolienFinnTheHuman
    Zanso said:

@BladeDancer aa you are correct, my mistake. She was supposed to be in the Planar Sphere Stronghold quest. If remember correctly, giving the medals to the students, teleporting the knights out or just having a chat with the player. Can't remember the specifics. Sadly I don't know which canon book she can be found from. I checked Lands of Intrigue and wasn't there :/

I don't know which book Zallanora is in either, but I can confirm that she is not mentioned in any of the Lands of Intrigue books.
    edited April 2016
    @BladeDancer Actually I found Zallanora on pages 8-9 in chapter called Power Groups of Intrigue: The Cowled Wizards Of Amn in Lands of Intrigue Book Three: Erlkazar & Folk of Intrigue :o
    lolienBladeDancer
    Zanso said:

@BladeDancer Actually I found Zallanora on pages 8-9 in chapter called Power Groups of Intrigue: The Cowled Wizards Of Amn in Lands of Intrigue Book Three: Erlkazar & Folk of Intrigue :o

Good eye. I haven't been reading Book 3 of Lands of Intrigue lately, only Book 2.
    lolienZanso
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2017
    The Meisarch during BG2 timeline is "Erlranther Alibakkar", a fighter - would it count as CW member? Technically the Meisarch must look into the unregistered wizards.

Also, Tyrda Q'Helvor, the Pommarch, should be a CW (infiltrated) in BG2 time.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Speaking of the three apprentices, if they graduate, should they not become full members of the cowled wizards? Better add them to the list.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    edited April 2017
    @Ammar I was thinking about it, but are they actually "CW apprentices", or just "apprentices"? The whole thing doesn't make too much sense anyway I fear..

Actually, I think I'm wrong. The idea is to make them full-fledged CW according to several web sites. I'll have to see the dialogues though.

If they are, having Morul as your OWN cowled wizard apprentice is very cool.
    Post edited by koteko on
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Zanso said:

Zallanora Argentresses (N/NE ef Nec36)

He (she? It?) had BETTER have white hair with that last name.
    Balrog99
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I actually never got to fight with Zallanora and had no knowledge of her existence within BG2 :hushed:
    I guess I'll take a try against her next time I run of BG2. What happens if you defeat her? do the cowled wizards still come after you?
    Arunsun said:

I actually never got to fight with Zallanora and had no knowledge of her existence within BG2 :hushed:
    I guess I'll take a try against her next time I run of BG2. What happens if you defeat her? do the cowled wizards still come after you?

They stop coming after you :)
    lolien