Best Kit for entire Saga

2»

Comments

• SurullinenSurullinen Member Posts: 15
    Anduin said:

Gnome. Gnome. Gnome.

The turnip Bhaalspawn

• BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    Gnome cleric illusionist. Cast stinking cloud to drop everybody unconscious and send in your undead skeleton army to finish them in their sleep.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Francois said:

Purudaya said:

I've always wanted to play a swashbuckler but end up picking something else - does it hold its own alongside more traditional melee characters?

I never played a swashbuckler either. I don't really see their point compared to a F/T.
    AC and damage bonus, or for human dual class builds that don't emphasize backstab.

Instead of being, say, a pure Fighter or pure Mage, you can start as a Swashbuckler, get a couple of extra points to Thaco0, damage, and AC, and enough skill points to max lock picking and trap detection, before switching to the main class. Even as a pure class it brings something to the table with an eventual +8 to Thac0, damage, and AC, as well as Lesser Whirlwind, which dual class Fighter/Thieves do not get.

• TroupialTroupial Member Posts: 1
    Mirandel said:

Not so sure about "anything". I mean, RP is RP and I guess you can imagine anything, but by pure logic - you live in the LIBRARY under the care of a MAGE. How on Earth can you grow up as a ranger or druid, for example?

You might need to reach for some but I think there's a case for every class to fit Gorion's Ward.

The most obvious is mage because you practically grew up in a library with many great wizards around you. Sorcerer because of that and also the implication of your heritage.
    With all the knowledge and historical tomes available, bard would also make sense. A thief would love to explore every nook and cranny for the secrets of Candlekeep. The culture of Candlekeep seems pretty ascetic too and that would fit a monk.
    As a fighter you might have been put to train with the Watchers, as with paladins (a Blackguard would probably be more aware than the rest of his heritage). Candlekeep is surrounded by forests so ranger isn't out of the question if your role with the Watchers dealt with more outdoorsmanship.
    The local temple of Oghma might have brought you up as a cleric though being a cleric of Talos/Helm/Tyr/Lathander would have come out of the Ward's own introspection. Gorion was also involved with the Harpers, basically the definition of a true neutral organization, so they might have had a hand in training the Ward in druidism.
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    The best kit is whatever kit you like. They are ALL viable so just choose your favorite.
  • SurullinenSurullinen Member Posts: 15

The best kit is whatever kit you like. They are ALL viable so just choose your favorite.

The thing is I'm never satisfied.
    I love casting spells AND wearing heavy armour, without having to constantly swap, I like being able to pick someones pocket, as well as resurrect party members. Blend in with the shadows, get the bonuses the paladin gets without havin to be lawful good.
    Too OP.
  • StonekingStoneking Member Posts: 39
    I think paladin Undead hunter is an extremely powerful kit. You really do feel like a demi-god by the end of the saga.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited April 2016
    Yes, Undead Hunter is my favorite paladin kit. I just love fihting undead. One interesting idea for roleplaying would be to start with a paladin, then play increasingly evil. When you become fallen use EE Keeper to switch to a blackguard. Or the reverse.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Yeah, once i played the bgee with paladin who became fallen and get the blackguard bonuses, (and get the layonhabds etc from its paladinhood as dnd3 if you became blackguard from paladin) just modify the clab file of fallen paladin. Its a very satisfying class from rp view.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Sorcerer because of your heritage and they are very powerful so you feel the growth.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Troupial said:

Mirandel said:

Not so sure about "anything". I mean, RP is RP and I guess you can imagine anything, but by pure logic - you live in the LIBRARY under the care of a MAGE. How on Earth can you grow up as a ranger or druid, for example?

You might need to reach for some but I think there's a case for every class to fit Gorion's Ward.

The most obvious is mage because you practically grew up in a library with many great wizards around you. Sorcerer because of that and also the implication of your heritage.
    With all the knowledge and historical tomes available, bard would also make sense. A thief would love to explore every nook and cranny for the secrets of Candlekeep. The culture of Candlekeep seems pretty ascetic too and that would fit a monk.
    As a fighter you might have been put to train with the Watchers, as with paladins (a Blackguard would probably be more aware than the rest of his heritage). Candlekeep is surrounded by forests so ranger isn't out of the question if your role with the Watchers dealt with more outdoorsmanship.
    The local temple of Oghma might have brought you up as a cleric though being a cleric of Talos/Helm/Tyr/Lathander would have come out of the Ward's own introspection. Gorion was also involved with the Harpers, basically the definition of a true neutral organization, so they might have had a hand in training the Ward in druidism.
    Some very good points (especially about bards), still for me (me only, personal opinion, nothing more) classes like monk, druid, ranger and almost all specializations beside magical can not be explained. Like monk and druid are not about asceticism per se but a very specific life-style with very strict rules and abilities nobody in Candlekeep possesses. Same as ranger - you even have a line (not a single one, I believe) about your cloistered childhood.
    Sure, you can imagine a special teacher, found refuge in Candlekeep long ago and now working as a Warden\janitor\whatever. Still, taking into account your heritage and mentioning everywhere only one person of influence - Gorion limits the choices. I wish some "trainer" would be introduced in Candlekeep with class related to yours (one might say if anyone could convince you to become a monk and taught all the secrets of meditation, concentration and exotic fighting styles you would cherish that name as the name of your second farther).
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    For a spawn of the god of murder, surely assassin (thief) or berserker (fighter) would be the best role-playing choice if you want a character with a kit?

For a "power" kit choice, the usual recommendation would be kensai or berserker dualed to mage.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Mirandel said:

Troupial said:

Mirandel said:

Some very good points (especially about bards), still for me (me only, personal opinion, nothing more) classes like monk, druid, ranger and almost all specializations beside magical can not be explained. Like monk and druid are not about asceticism per se but a very specific life-style with very strict rules and abilities nobody in Candlekeep possesses. Same as ranger - you even have a line (not a single one, I believe) about your cloistered childhood.
    Sure, you can imagine a special teacher, found refuge in Candlekeep long ago and now working as a Warden\janitor\whatever. Still, taking into account your heritage and mentioning everywhere only one person of influence - Gorion limits the choices. I wish some "trainer" would be introduced in Candlekeep with class related to yours (one might say if anyone could convince you to become a monk and taught all the secrets of meditation, concentration and exotic fighting styles you would cherish that name as the name of your second farther).
    You can also think of classes as akin to proclivities or inclinations at level 1 given how few abilities you have at start. Charname doesn't have to be a full on druid before leaving Candlekeep - she might just start with a strong affinity for animals and nature and develops into a druid as she levels up in the world.

You could also argue that the extensive resources for study in the largest library on the Sword Coast are enough for someone to reach level 1 in just about anything, teacher or no. Add to that a little poking around the grounds here and there for 18 years and voila - you've got yourself a fledgling bard/kensai/priest of Tyr.

That said, the inclusion of a "trainer" figure or a few lines of dialogue from one of the tutors is a great idea and would make all of that headcannon unnecessary.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Harrington.
  • BillyBroBillyBro Member Posts: 62
    These super pro multi class builds are too narrow a mindset. The game allows you up to a party of 6. Use that to your advantage. It's best to have specialized characters rather than 1 toon trying to do it all.

Fun stuff to do :
    1 toon with maxed stealth to scout and 1 mage to blast enemies with fireballs from outside the view range ;
    1 ultra tank and 5 ranged for tight dungeons and corridors ;
    full ranged with horror spells ; pick them out as they run about ;
    go full melee and trash with good aoe spells like blackguard's terror aura. Great in big spaces.
    only get thieves in your party ; start each fight with massive, 6 man surprise backstab

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

Also disappointed DD didn't get a shape change into dragon at level 20 or something, would that be possible to mod in?

It's more than possible, but it'd be silly.

Personally, I always prefer fighter/mage. Wizard Slayer, despite its bad rap, isn't actually that bad either.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    Half Elf Fighter/Mage. They are angsty and do not really fit in anywhere, initially they think their outsider nature is because of their mixed elf/human heritage, but they eventually learn the truth.

Raised by a mage, but driven to the brutal arts of a melee warrior a dangerous scion to confront indeed.

Fun to role play in your imagination and fun to interact with the game from a 1st level novice at Candlekeep, to a time-stopping, black blade of disaster wielding demi god in Throne of Bhaal.

The angsty, forlorn, death dealing, mystic fencer, dragonslaying half elf. Good luck villains, because you're going to need it!
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    Skarose said:

Half Elf Fighter/Mage. They are angsty and do not really fit in anywhere, initially they think their outsider nature is because of their mixed elf/human heritage, but they eventually learn the truth.

Raised by a mage, but driven to the brutal arts of a melee warrior a dangerous scion to confront indeed.

Fun to role play in your imagination and fun to interact with the game from a 1st level novice at Candlekeep, to a time-stopping, black blade of disaster wielding demi god in Throne of Bhaal.

The angsty, forlorn, death dealing, mystic fencer, dragonslaying half elf. Good luck villains, because you're going to need it!

Yes, a Fighter/Mage becomes a death dealing machine, especially in TOB. Dual wield, cast haste, stoneskins, blur, mirror image, and destroy every living creature. I believe this is the best overall class for the saga, a dual sword wielding spell caster. Pretty cool. Having said that, you could even do the FMT triple-class and add backstabbing to the mix, lots of fun, plus you don't need to carry around a thief. I used this triple class on my last run-through and it was a lot of fun, but your spells will be fairly stunted due to slow leveling. I'm currently playing a Ranger Stalker, not even close to being as powerful as the FM, but having a blast and probably better because I have to use everyone's talents instead of relying on a one-man death machine.

If you want the best class? The fighter/mage definitely in my opinion, either dual or multi works fine. But play the class you want, you could do the whole series as a Druid if you wanted to, you'll just have to rely on the other party members to pick up the slack where you're deficient.

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I agree, any class can work fine from a player or RP point of view. No reason at all to me that charname couldn't be exactly the opposite of what his father was doing, how many times do we see that in real life that the kids don't want to follow what their parents are doing simply because their parents are doing it. I can definitely imagine a young kid doing anything they could to get outside and away from that stuffy old library and going to hang out with that old retired ranger working on the Candlekeep grounds.

That said, I like fighter/mage or fighter/cleric for charname generally since NPC's cover the rest adequately. I feel like F/M or F/C befits the child of a god very well and they are both fun to play. :)