Skip to content

Is 2.0 worth it?

2»

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited April 2016
    Edit to add: Also, helmets are the only head-gear that grant immunity to criticals, Ioun stones, headbands, and anything else that fits that slot no longer have that effect.

Edit for real: oops, seems I can't figure out the edit button first time around either. Doh!
    jackjack
  • mysterymeepmysterymeep Member Posts: 33

I've been considering reinstalling EE after hearing 2.0 came out.... but seeing this thread... is it really that bad??

No, it's actually really good. I haven't experienced nearly the bugs I hear people talking about, and it's much, much easier on the eyes overall.
    Geron
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Honestly, 2.0 is a little rough around the edges. It is reminiscent of some of Beamdog's previous monolithic patches. They ironed out those issues so I'm confident they'll come through again.

I'm not crazy about the thick black borders at the area transitions in BG1. I don't mind them in BG2 because many of the areas aren't contiguous. I think it was done to make sure the UI panels don't interfere with character movement. It would help to make the black borders thinner or "smart" somehow so they detect the edges of the UI. Not a game breaker in their current form for me though. Beamdog might have made this worse for themselves with the EE advent of instant area loads.

I absolutely love the two-handed, shield, dual-wield mechanic. Much more elegant than IWD2, IMO.

What I don't quite understand is the assertion that LoB players are broken. LoB never existed before 2.0 so LoB players are just as broken as they ever were. I made it through a few LoB playthroughs (to get the Lord of Murder achievement) during the beta. Yes, it was tedious to start a new game before a reload, but that really only adds maybe 30 seconds to the whole procedure. Certainly not something that would dissuade me from completing the LoB attempt. Disclaimer, I haven't played LoB with the release version so it may be worse than I remember.
    jackjackGeron
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    2.0 shot down my SCS. I am very sad about this. The AI improvements/tweaks from SCS is what makes the game fun. I really really regret upgrading to 2.0.

I was looking forward to a SCS LoB fully created party playthrough (except for Aerie, she is already very good). Guess I'll just have to wait.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2016
    @Otherguy Did you check the SCS fixes posted here? They make it work just fine under 2.0 and are really simple to apply.
    semiticgoddess
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    Before updating - and since I am right in the dang exact middle of a repeat Dwarven Bounty Hunter run in BGEE with a character I adore and spent hours writing the bio and choosing the photo for- I am waiting for the 1st 2.0 patch and hopefully updates for my favorite mods (glad to see SCS working).

I do though appreciate all of the comments and insights from everyone. Frankly, it is difficult to keep waiting with the new weapon usage tweaks (easy thief short bow/crossbow/quarterstaff switch to dagger or dart/buckler = happiness!), so I hope the patch is soon released!
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited April 2016
    @Lord_Tansheron Thank you but I've tried the fix posted by @subtledoctor in that post and it wont work for me. Posted debug file in that thread.

Reinstalled both BG2EE v 2.0, scs and the fix from @subtledoctor and now it seems to work!

TY!
    Post edited by Otherguy on
    jackjackArdulAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    lololo555 said:

@RobertMcDuck I dont know how about you, but I remember times without internets, the developeres really cared about their product, bugs were rare because there were no convenient ways to patch them and if there were bugs, the game was thrashed in the press. But today with s*** companies like EA and UBISOFT people are used to getting severely crippled games/updates. I've been playing games since 1997 and only in about 201X I discovered there is something like a bug, now it is a tradition to release a broken product.

When was this time without internets and bugs? It couldn't be 1997 because in the 90s pretty much every computer game I played (and I played a lot of them) had bugs and had patches to deal with those bugs. And I downloaded those patches via the internet - which by 1997 I'd been using the internet for four years and it had been seven years since I'd heard of it. Daggerfall was published in 1996 and had soooo many bugs even after it was patched up.

Also people complained in the late 90s at least how in the 80s no one shipped with bugs and how everyone was shipping with bugs in said benighted 90s because they could patch the bugs later.
    Grumjackjack
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    I find I'm right down the middle with 2.0. It adds some useful features (party creation without the MP -> SP save copy stuff, two-handed weapons and sword/board, dual-wield switching finally) and some good bug fixes, but it also adds its own bugs (difficulty slider being one I find particularly irritating).

The UI I find mostly awful. It's functional, I'll not argue that, but its aesthetics are entirely wrong and are not "Baldur's Gate" (my view, others love it). It also spreads out useful stat info all over the damn place. v1.3 and prior, I had only to look at the character Record screen and all the info I need is there about my ability scores, level and experience, resistances, to hit/damage stats, AC, magical effects currently active, attacks per round, weapon proficiencies, etc. Pretty much all there. A little scrolling and done, very readable, easy to find info. Now, all that info is spread across at least 3 different tabs/screens. That is flat out bad design.

All my gripes about the 2.0 UI would pretty much go away given the option to switch to the UI being laid out like it was in 1.3 (with the blue stone GUI as well....BG2 2.0 has the visual at least, if not the layout).
    lunar
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    That black nothingness around the maps, that's annoying IMO. Im also noticing that clicking through menus and moving items is ALOT slower/seems laggy. Deff not a lag thing I think but not sure.
    Id like to be able to pick items up and move them around like before too, not a fan of that. And moving the mouse, even with making it as touchy as possible seems to be extremely slow and annoying for some reason.
  • lololo555lololo555 Member Posts: 66
    @BelleSorciere seems like I had a lot of luck.

Thanks for all your thoughts people, I will wait for the next update.

lololo555 said:

@RobertMcDuck "dear complainers" oh gee weez! we forgot that it is (((2016))) and releasing a game without bugs is just an embarassment.

It is not embarrasing. No. It is a fresh update, of course there will be bugs! Name me ONE bug free game, and yes, a game that has never contained a bug what so ever. You should get som perspective and get rid of that arrogance of yours, my friend. Your comment is just so free of intelligence.
    Solitaire is bug free....lol joking, but I agree, theyre looking at the feedback and will hopefully be fixing a few of these things. Im not worried, worst case scenario I revert to 1.3 or even the gog non ee ones lol
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    edited April 2016
    marzbarz said:

lololo555 said:

@RobertMcDuck "dear complainers" oh gee weez! we forgot that it is (((2016))) and releasing a game without bugs is just an embarassment.

It is not embarrasing. No. It is a fresh update, of course there will be bugs! Name me ONE bug free game, and yes, a game that has never contained a bug what so ever. You should get som perspective and get rid of that arrogance of yours, my friend. Your comment is just so free of intelligence.
    Solitaire is bug free....lol joking, but I agree, theyre looking at the feedback and will hopefully be fixing a few of these things. Im not worried, worst case scenario I revert to 1.3 or even the gog non ee ones lol
    What have I missed? I really love the update?! Point out what I've missed. Haven't tried Legacy of Bhaal, what is preventig that shit from working? I mean people outright hate the update. The steam reviews are *awful*

It ain't that bad? O.o

Haven't tried Legacy of Bhaal, what is preventig that shit from working?

It will reset the difficulty back to Insane fairly quickly, and then essentially corrupt your save into a lower difficulty unless you follow a whole bunch of steps like starting a new BG2 game EVERY time you want to load a save game - which chances are you will do often, in the ultimate difficulty mode. LoB is effectively unplayable.

I mean people outright hate the update. The steam reviews are *awful*

It ain't that bad? O.o

There's several features which have gotten a mixed reception, like the UI changes, the new Quicksave slots, etc.

For me, LoB is the deal-breaker. I don't play on other modes, which means I can't play at all.
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Oh okey, sounds pretty bad. There is a mod for the annoying quick-save spam. Install it.

And Beamdog has promised us to work on these bugs with the feedback we have given them.

And Beamdog has promised us to work on these bugs with the feedback we have given them.

That's a completely meaningless promise. It's like a restaurant promising you that they will try hard not to burn your toast the next time around - IT'S EXPECTED that you get a product that works. No one in their right mind would ever think "Oh, they didn't say they're doing anything now I don't know if it'll EVER be fixed!" and then be relieved to hear that "promise".

Also, as was pointed out in different places, this bug was already reported and known BEFORE release. They knowingly released it in a broken state, simply because there was a deadline to meet and the LoB problem affects a very small minority of players. This is established industry practice, though, and not some mean-spirited blow at the hardcore gamers. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck for us, or doesn't make us angry, or doesn't makes us lose confidence in the company - just that they knew this could happen and that bottom-line, they're okay with it.
    atakdog
    edited April 2016

marzbarz said:

lololo555 said:

What have I missed? I really love the update?! Point out what I've missed. Haven't tried Legacy of Bhaal, what is preventig that shit from working? I mean people outright hate the update. The steam reviews are *awful*

It ain't that bad? O.o
    dunno about LoB mode because I didn't get into that, I did notice difficulties were changing or whatever if they used certain ones. I just tacked on vhard/no extra damage for the extra mobs. that option interested me kinda, to change it so only extra mobs spawn.

Nah its okay, just seems a lil more clunky to me when clicking around and stuff but you can see how bgee differs kinda and is more clean/polished so that's why im not too worried. While the save thing is different you can change it to not have more than one quicksave in the coding/whatever, don't even need a mod really. I think theres just a few changes like that that didn't really need to happen but they are in no way gamebreaking for me. Also bg2ee seems to bug/freeze but that may have been because I had a picture mod installed and it tried to access files that weren't there anymore. No idea to be honest but still playable and very much enjoyable.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    lololo555 said:

@BelleSorciere seems like I had a lot of luck.

Thanks for all your thoughts people, I will wait for the next update.

Guess so. Patches were very common at least in the latter half of the 1990s, even for games that weren't full of bugs. I really appreciate services like GoG or Steam now because they automatically patch for me, which is sometimes less of a pain than having to download the right patches and install them in the correct order.
    Yeah mid-late 1990s youd just look for a patch right away after installing the game. It was a different time for patches.
    BelleSorciere
  • James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
    After reading the Release Notes and the blogs: stickin' with 1.3 / BG2EE. No need to tamper with (screw with) a near-perfection top-notch game. A great game.
    lunar
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    James_M said:

After reading the Release Notes and the blogs: stickin' with 1.3 / BG2EE. No need to tamper with (screw with) a near-perfection top-notch game. A great game.

Make sure you have the latest info though. For example, the character sheet has been changed again to resemble 1.3 much mre.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aerakarjackjack