Skip to content

How does SOD handle Imoen?

Hello folks. I am currently running BG:EE and i reached the point where i need to decide if to dual-class Imoen. I would rather skip the hassle of getting 2nd team or power xp farming, however the urge to bridge the gap in story is too strong.

So the question is - what happens to Imoen in SOD. I know that she isn't likely to be party member, but is her transition from thief to mage explained storywise ?

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Yes, her transition is explained and she's a supportive character in SoD only.

Also - whatever you do to her in BGEE does not transition to BG2EE nor SoD game-mechanic-wise. Don't worry about it. I actually liked to dual-class her around lvl 6 and get a thief-mage with 100% open locks and 100% find traps. (Did that a lot. I like Immy)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Wait.. what? I'm doing a new run through and just went through the pain of dualling Immy at level 7. I thought all this stuff carried across (appreciate the mage dual class had to happen for BG2).
  • lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
    edited April 2016
    This pissed me off to no end. Just finished BG:EE on LoB, only to have Imoen taken away. What hurt the most was... Safana. Safana the controversy-maker from recent posts. Safana the "remade" character. I felt so insulted I literally gasped for air. Kicked her IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, the level of babysitting and "you need this" is ASTOUNDING.

P. S.: If they'll restore Safana in the patch, I'll take her.
    P. S.: They couldn't even move her stuff carefully, had to reload to keep her shadow armor, army scythe (+1 crossbow), shadow's blade+3, boots of speed, et cetera... nice job, Beamdog, antagonizing NPC's to the max and making me insta-hate the once loved Safana (though I still only took her once in my previous walkthroughs).

OH COME ON!!!!

Post edited by lazutu on
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    lazutu said:

This pissed me off to no end. Just finished BG:EE on LoB, only to have Imoen taken away. What hurt the most was... Safana. Safana the controversy-maker from recent posts. Safana the "remade" character. I felt so insulted I literally gasped for air. Kicked her IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, the level of babysitting and "you need this" is ASTOUNDING. P. S.: If they'll restore Safana in the patch, I'll take her.

Tip. Start a private MP game with you player character. Create an extra thief with the Safana portrait. Give her the right stats and add her soundset to the character. Assign control of her to yourself. Kill the NPC Safana when you meet her.

Problem solved.
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    You realise that Jaheira, Viconia etc... were all remade in BG2 to be more than their original one dimensional tropes. Why didn't you give the character a chance?
    edited April 2016
    Mikey205 said:

You realise that Jaheira, Viconia etc... were all remade in BG2 to be more than their original one dimensional tropes. Why didn't you give the character a chance?

I never had Safana in my party. They just put her there. Where is the roleplay in that? I do not mind Safana in Swordcoast/Faerun universe, I don't mind her trying to win a place in the party, through some introduction, between many /sarcasm other equal men and women and transgender persons and yet-to-become-socially-acceptable fafhrds /soff. But for now, she feels completely forced, and I trust my feelings here.

Edit: about the screenshot: not only is she put into the party, she immediately tries to force an "apology" out of the protagonist? I'm trying my BEST here not to become psychotic, but really - really- I've just actually felt what those gamergaters feel in their perverted ways. How can you force your "recent" agenda through a respected, legendary game... how can you even lift a hand to write-in THIS and call it more than one-dimensional...
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Ye I kind of get that. I dont like the sound of her anyway (never used her in bg). Im going to go with canon party and one of the new npcs or viconia.
  • ElGuapoElGuapo Member Posts: 37
    lazutu said:

This pissed me off to no end. Just finished BG:EE on LoB, only to have Imoen taken away. What hurt the most was... Safana. Safana the controversy-maker from recent posts. Safana the "remade" character. I felt so insulted I literally gasped for air. Kicked her IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, the level of babysitting and "you need this" is ASTOUNDING.

P. S.: If they'll restore Safana in the patch, I'll take her.
    P. S.: They couldn't even move her stuff carefully, had to reload to keep her shadow armor, army scythe (+1 crossbow), shadow's blade+3, boots of speed, et cetera... nice job, Beamdog, antagonizing NPC's to the max and making me insta-hate the once loved Safana (though I still only took her once in my previous walkthroughs).

OH COME ON!!!!

I did the same thing and felt the same way. Had dualled Imoen and had my party all ready to go, only to start SoD and find that everything had changed. I have never used Safana in my parties and don't really like having her just put in there. Would be nice if you could import at least the canon party members from game to game. I'm certainly no expert on the technical aspects of game design but it doesn't seem like it would be an unreasonably difficult thing to implement.
    edited April 2016
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    F-

No Imoen in my party? See me after class.

What? You gave me a crappy lobotomized understudy thief from 1998? Think you'll also be needing another 3 hours detention.
  • RaltarRaltar Member Posts: 35
    How did they handle Imoen? Very poorly. Very, very poorly.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    i think they handled Imoen well enough and it fits with the BG2 story. Regarding Safana i actually like her now more then before (not that she had character before), as far as i know they put her in your party because Imoen is no longer available and you do not have a second thief, a way of saying sorry imoen is no longer available but here is another thief instead. I like like that as Imoen was my only thief at the time.

Also you do realise that all the equipment of imoen and any chars you had with you will be located in the palace once you reach it.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    They only make her appear in your party if you do not have another thief party member , Fun fact i already had skie in my party and therefore she did not appear in my group.