Skip to content

Weapon Set Switching via Hotkeys, and Customizable Hotbar ( Quickslots, Dual Wielding Swap Issue )

ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
edited October 2013 in Feature Requests
I would like to see a weapon switching hotkey in the UI, similar to how Icewind Dale 2 did it, where you can have different sets of weapons / shields and easily swap between them without having to enter your inventory (via right clicking your weapon hotkey).

With BG1's inventory / UI setup, you couldn't have a Bow equipped and also be able to switch to a one-hand weapon and a shield without entering the inventory screen manually and switching them on. I believe this was an issue in BG2 as well ( with dual wielding, where you couldn't swap to two handed weapon, bow, or shield ). I'd like to be able to have my fighter equipped with a blunt weapon, slashing weapon, bow, and sword + shield on different hotkeys, or my thief equipped with a bow and sword + shield.

Also, if possible, the ability to change your hotkey setup on the hotbar would be great. Again something similar to Icewind Dale 2 could be implemented, where you right click the icon and it scrolls through different actions that you can change your icon to.

Not that I'm an Icewind Dale 2 UI lover ( I hated the way they organized the spells into sets based on Class, Specialization, Race, etc, and you had to select through 1-2 groups before seeing your spells), but these are just good ideas I think that can easily translate. Taking a look at the current UI screenshot, it seems like there's a lot of empty space in the Hotbar. If you could fill those up with quickcast spells / special abilites, that would be helpful.

I understand that the BG1 UI may be hard to work with since it gave quickcast spells based on what class / dual class you were.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Was going to make a post about this myself and saw you'd already beaten me to the post (bu-dum-tshhh). So here I am, reviving that shit.

Having the ability to switch from bow to sword and shield without the mini inventory in-game the BG series seem to have would be awesome.

Hell yessir.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526

Having the ability to switch from bow to sword and shield without the mini inventory in-game the BG series seem to have would be awesome.

The devs are aware of this and will look into implementing this feature into the GUI. Unfortunately, it must be done post-ship as there is too much work going on to release the game on time, right now.

Customizable hot bar is also being considered.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    edited September 2012
    [double post]
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    @AndreaColombo

Great to hear. That was one of my main peeves about the UI in BG1 and BG2, no way to have two handed weapon + sword/shield swap.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after seeing the GUI screenshots. One hurdle at a time I guess.
  • Jakob88Jakob88 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    This has surely come up before but I couldn't find anything about it.

The inability to quickslot dual weapons or weapon + shield is really a big deal for certain characters.
    Rangers has two free points in dual wielding, but my rangers always use two-handed weapons or a single one handed weapon simply because I can't bother to pause the game, enter the inventory and rearrange my weapons every time I switch between melee and ranged combat (since bows and crossbows are two handed).

I realize that if this isn't allready in, it most likely can't be put in before release. I don't think it's unreasonable to patch it in post launch though? This would really increase my enjoyment of playing archer characters specifically.

Has anyone heard anything about this request before or responses from the devs I would be interested to hear :)
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    It's a very popular request on the AMAA they said they were trying to get it done for post release DLC .... it's probably my no1 want from an enhanced edition
    Thanks James, that's awesome. I figured I couldn't be the only one who thought it a big deal.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Yep! It was always irritating to change between ranged and weapon+shield setups.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    From what I can discern from the screenshots of the GUI, there certainly won't be any such change to the game in the release. I too had this as one of my biggest gripes with Bg1/2.

Let's hope we get it in a patch at some point..
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    This feature was in IWD2. Though for some reason in that implementation you couldn't have different weapons with the same shield, or different main hand weapons with the same off hand weapon.
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    Awong124 said:

This feature was in IWD2. Though for some reason in that implementation you couldn't have different weapons with the same shield, or different main hand weapons with the same off hand weapon.

I had forgotten that happened you're so right very annoying
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    Awong124 said:

James said:

Awong124 said:

I had forgotten that happened you're so right very annoying
    I agree IWD 2 weapon sets was very useful but I disagree that it was annoying to not use the same weapon.

The limitations of the Infinity Engine and the UI probably prevented them from allowing you to swap the way you suggested. I do think though that not being able to equip a 2 handed weapon while using your offhand, is very annoying. At least IWD2 came up with some type of solution.
    edited September 2012
    I think that if you tie the off-hand to the first weapon slot, this could be possible.

In this example, a fighter has a long sword in slot 1, a bastard sword in slot 2, a 2-handed sword in slot 3, a bow in slot 4 and a short sword in the off-hand. If you equip the long sword, you automatically equip the short sword. If you equip the bastard sword, you only equip the single weapon. If you equip the bow, you equip only the bow. When you switch back to the long sword you also equip the short sword.

This would allow fighters to have dual wield (or weapon and shield), a 2-handed weapon, single weapon and ranged weapon that you can flip between, creating a form of weapon sets.

Even for classes with only two weapon slots you could equip a single weapon (or weapon and shield) plus a ranged, and have the benefit of the quick set.
    ChrisYui said:
    Just bumped your thread with a suggestion on how to handle it, in order to keep that conversation going.

Also, Neverwinter Nights had a simple way of handling it, if I remember correctly. I really hope the devs adress this issue :)
    NWN's UI was very powerful. They eventually added the ability to drag the offhand weapon onto the main hand weapon icon and create a weapon set.
  • blackmamuthblackmamuth Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2012
    One of a few limitations that is hardcoded that should be adressed is the quick weapon slots and the inability to change weapons if something is equipped on the offhand slot, and that some classes have less slots than others.

So, for example, if you have a fighter using a shield, and you want to exchange weapons for a two handed weapon, you have to manually equip those in the inventory.

• ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Good to see other people are interested in seeing this fixed. I didn't post this until I saw a screenshot of the new UI as I assumed that it was incredibly important and wouldn't be overlooked.

Original Post - http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4446/weapon-set-switching-via-hotkeys-and-customizable-hotbar-quickslots-dual-wielding-swap-issue
  • Dux89Dux89 Member Posts: 47
    Alright so... now that we have a pushed back release date, is it possible we get IWD2 style quick weapons in BG? It really nerfs the ranger to functionally force me to pick either ranged combat or melee combat rather than being a "switch-hitter."
    Dux89 said:

Alright so... now that we have a pushed back release date, is it possible we get IWD2 style quick weapons in BG? It really nerfs the ranger to functionally force me to pick either ranged combat or melee combat rather than being a "switch-hitter."

Considering the game has already been delayed once I doubt they will add any new features like this until the game is completely ready in a shippable state, then add it in with mods/dlc/patches.

• holy_warrior567holy_warrior567 Member Posts: 4
    After playing TuTu, I thought it was normal to have one-handed and two-handed weapon setups equipped on my quick swap slots (e.g., one-hander plus shield, bow plus no offhand, two-hander plus no offhand).

Having purchased BG:EE for iPad, it is incredibly frustrating not being able to do this. For ranged characters, it makes perfect sense to have a bow equipped in the first weapon slot, a backup melee weapon in the second weapon slot, and a shield in the offhand that can be equipped when using the backup weapon. Another example is characters who use two-handed sword AND duel one-hander setups (two-hander 1st slot, one-hander 2nd slot and offhand slot).

I'm allowed to switch my weapons/shields at anytime in the character screen anyway, so implementing this won't break any rules. However, it will save time/frustration having to go to the inventory every single time you would like to switch weapon sets. As is, the quick weapon slots are essentially useless.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2012
    This wasn't actually a feature in Tutu as far as I know. To the best of my knowlege the only Infinity Engine game that has this is Icewind Dale II. But yeah it was pretty handy. It's actually been requested and talked about numerous times on these forums, but I don't know if it'll happen or not.
  • holy_warrior567holy_warrior567 Member Posts: 4
    Hmmm...I'm fairly certain I don't have any other mods equipped on my TuTu install, yet I can have a bow, two-handed sword, and one-handed weapon in my quick slots with a shield in the offhand. I guess it is possible something else was installed as part of a pack with TuTu.

Nevertheless...definitely a desirable feature! Thanks for the response.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Yes. This is incredibly frustrating.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This has been requested in the beta and is in the tracker.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited December 2012
    Is there any way for me to use a crossbow and dual wield at the same time without having to open my inventory to switch weapons around?

Or am I better off sticking to darts / slings/ throwing axes / throwing daggers if I want to switch between ranged and dual wielding without opening my inventory every time?
    Post edited by Dee on
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Yeah, I don't want the bonus of the off hand weapon if I'm shooting the crossbow. I just don't want to drag and drop a weapon back and forth.

I would even be cool with a 1 round delay in changing between the two systems. I just don't want to do it manually. I remember why I never used ranged on a non two hander character now. Thanks.