Skip to content

Firkraag fight, need help!

Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
OK so I'm coming back after a long break (2 years ish) I wiped a few times on Firkraag and I could use a bit of help. What level should I be doing him at? What spells do I need to cast before the fight? What spells during? I'm not interested in cheese killing him.

My Party:
Me Fighter/Cleric with Flail of Ages and The Sleeper
Dorn with Lilicor
Korgan with Azuredge and another +3 axe
Viconia with Maulers arm (only +2 not sure if that even hits dragons)
Edwin with spells that dont do anything to dragons and a sling with +1 bullets
Hexxat with a bow and no ammo above +1

Post edited by Diomedes33 on

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    You can lower saves with greater malison + doom
    You should lower resists with lower resists (or semi-cheese with magic resistance and then throw lower resists)
    You should Breach and similar 'til he's open for attacks and kill him
    A couple of summons to take the heat, buffed up fire resists on your tanks etc is never wrong. A healthy HP pool is always nice.

I don't have an exact level for when I go there, it ofc depends on the playthrough, the party composition etc. I'm far from the best when it comes to using spells the perfect way, but I think breach is a good spell to have. There's a wand doing that as well so that you don't need a mage, not sure how it fares vs Firkraag though.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    You could try tanking with Edwin imho, the only mitigation worth anything vs Firkraag especially early game is not taking damage at all from his hits. PfMW and stoneskin are really nice options, fire resist buffs are really nice but his remove magic trigger will dispel everyone except an arcane caster with prot from abjuration. His THAC0 is pretty good so AC is usually not a very good defense early on.

My usual tactic is to have one immortal tank, F/M if possible, but if not any kind of mage (the annoying tiefling also works). Normally I just breach him (you might need a few) and go to town with impr hasted fighters.

With scs (improved dragons) spell damage is not a very efficient way to kill him. It might be viable in vanilla though.

The only level you need is access to improved haste for dorn and korgan and then PfMW and Prot Fr: Abj for Tank / Edwin.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2016
    Here are some tips to defeat dragons in general (some of them won't work if you have SCS mod installed):
    http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/strategies/dragons.php
  • erroniuserronius Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2016
    As a couple others said, Fire Resist buffs are nice (but limited because of his Dispel Magic). In fact depending on your party level and the difficulty - like if you are playing on Insane - this can make the fight almost unwinnable since he will dispel you and then firebreath for 200+ damage.

The safe way to raise your resists is through items. The Ring of Fire Control, Ring of Fire Resistance, and Helmet of Defense all help a lot. There are also the Dragon Sword, Dragon Shield, and Dragon Helm (forget the exact names, but all available in his area). The Helm is a bit of a dud because it Sets your resists, but better than 0 resist. Also in terms of equipment, +2 weapons should be able to hit him if he does not have protections up (in fact, I'm not even sure he's naturally immune to normal weapons - it wouldn't surprise me either way).

In terms of party level, I would recommend having access to at least 5th level spells (for Lower Resist/Breach) on Arcane casters, and you'll need several castings, so ideally a lvl 11+ Arcane caster. And the rest of your party should be a similar level. Overall I would say it should be do-able on normal/core difficulty with a 12th level party, but I always create all 6 characters so my parties have a lot of advantages.

When I am attempting any boss with a large HP pool, I try to think about damage types. Will I be doing mostly physical damage, or mostly magic damage? If mostly physical, your Arcane casters will serve defensive/distraction purposes and should have plenty of Breach castings to help your physical damage strategy. If you're doing mostly magic damage, you'll want plenty of Greater Malison, Lower Resist, and Doom. At this stage of the game, since you don't have the Improved Alacrity/Robe of Vecna combo (I hope, otherwise why would you be struggling with this), you will probably do mostly physical.

If after all of this you're still getting wiped, the obvious answer is to either come back at a later level with better HP, saves, THAC0, spells, and gear, or turn the difficulty down. Best of luck!

EDIT: @Zanso some of those strategies are so cheesy - like the "fake talk" strat - I don't even understand the point. It's like... "Hey guys, I found this great trick for easily defeating the boss. You turn on debug mode and just press Control-Y with your mouse over him and he dies instantly! Great trick, huh?"
    jackjack
  • Diomedes33Diomedes33 Member Posts: 144
    What do you guys do against the initial fear he casts on the whole party. I'm reading these strats like cast Breach and Lower resist.. how do you cast when hes feared all but 1 or 2 of your group
  • WanderingScholarWanderingScholar Member Posts: 17
    Have all your buffs cast before the confrontation. Use the equipment provided in the dungeon to boost your fire resistance by giving Korgan the dragon scale shield and fire resistance ring, give someone else the helm.You can also drink potions of fire resistance. Have anyone with access to cleric spells memorize these if possible:
    Remove fear (can be cast beforehand to prevent fear), protection from fire/cold or just protection from fire, armor of faith, bless, draw upon holy might, chant, protection from evil 10' radius, heal, aerial servant or animate dead. If Edwin can't cast lower resistance two or three times then just have him focus on summons while loading up on magic missles, blindness, breaches, and the usual protection spells mirror image etc...

Summon your best 5 creatures as meat shields then haste everyone. Have your summons surround him on all sides and have them start the initial attack. I would send in an enraged Korgan alone to soak up the first dispel magic he lets out so it doesn't hit the whole party. Have your party spread thin and keep your spellcasters out of his sight as much as possible. Have Edwin cast breach on Firkraag if you see him put up stoneskin. Keep the pressure on him and rotate your fighters when they take too much damage. Hexxat will probably take a backseat in this battle unless she can cheesily lay down some traps before the action. If all this fails then just come back at a higher level.
    Diomedes33
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    Gotta breach and dispel those shields he puts up. If your too low and on that quest you can avoid the fight for now and still progress the quest in terms of clearing your name etc.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    Keep Edwin he and vic staggered and back from the fight.

Send in dorn to start the fight since he's a black guard and immune to fear. Put the shield and dragon sword on even thought he isnt proficient with it, (it's only a -1 anyways) itll put his fire resist enought to survive the breath and the bonus vs dragons will overcome his lack of proficiency.

Save Korgans berserk for near the end when the group is tapped out and you need that final push.

Iirc firkraag usually does his sequencer buff dispels fears then breaths doom. Once he drops the dispel drop your protection from fear on the group and charge Korgan in.

Keep Vic at the back and have her sling and cast healing spells. Also use hers and your air elementals. Edwin should at this point also have a nishru (ideally) and an invisible stalker (you can have 5 sumons at once so use em, double up if one dies and rotate them through.) Send those in as well.

Breech, pierce magic, and melfs acid from edwin as well as group haste.

Doom from viconia and yourself. Protection from fire and evil as well. If you have it add on blade barrier to charname and let that grind on firkraag.

Chug potions.

It's a tough fight but doable.
    Diomedes33