Skip to content

The classic D&D monsters are back!

2»

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

LadyRhian said:

I like Aasimar and Tieflings back when each had a distinct look. When they gave them the "One look fits all" appearance, I didn't like that.

Agreed. Though the Genasi had it just as worse when 4th edition changed them to "soul" variants, which ended up looking quite frankly like freakish supperheroes without tights and spoons... The horror!

...Come to think of it, what do the Aasimar Tieflings and Genasi actually look like in the 5th edition? *crosses tentacles that Tieflings&Co. are restored to their rightful Planescape appearances*

LadyRhian said:

I like Aasimar and Tieflings back when each had a distinct look. When they gave them the "One look fits all" appearance, I didn't like that.

Agreed. Though the Genasi had it just as worse when 4th edition changed them to "soul" variants, which ended up looking quite frankly like freakish supperheroes without tights and spoons... The horror!

...Come to think of it, what do the Aasimar Tieflings and Genasi actually look like in the 5th edition? *crosses tentacles that Tieflings&Co. are restored to their rightful Planescape appearances*

Sort of. The Tieflings still follow the 4th edition model, but theres a variety in horns, eyes and skin color.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Regarding Death Knights as a race, I actually see that. In the same way that Liches are a race unto themselves despite being really powerful wizards (and sorcerers apparently) who have used arcane magics to make themselves something other.

I see a Death Knight as the same type of thing. You have to have been a knight (meaning the class), but that you are converted into a spectral and undead being in becoming a knight. In fact, I'd bet that was the original thinking on the topic. Wizards have liches, warriors have Death Knights.

All personal opinion.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Yeah, Tieflings remain 4th ed-esque, but Genasi, if I recall correctly, return to their more traditional look. I haven't seen any official source on Aasimar yet.
    One thing i don't like about 5th edition is the piss poor description of alignments.

One thing i don't like about 5th edition is the piss poor description of alignments.

Wait. The old versions were better as far as Alignments go? Boy, that's a whole new level of low. ;)
    I also like that the manuals mention the various settings and not just FR.
    I've noticed they made the Succubus and Incubus Neutral Evil and sided them with both demons and devils. Also the description doesn't mention their tendency of sucking the soul of a unsuspecting human during a nookie.

I've noticed they made the Succubus and Incubus Neutral Evil and sided them with both demons and devils. Also the description doesn't mention their tendency of sucking the soul of a unsuspecting human during a nookie.

Hey, Demons gotta love too.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    In 1e, you got level drained. As the old Dragon Magazine put it, "Archmage to Presdigitator in 20 minutes and you wonder where the time went!" ;)
    Made a 5e version of the Krakentua. https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Krakentua_(5e_Creature)