Skip to content

Create a Swashbuckler/Mage MultiClass?

FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
I'd like to create a Thief/Mage multi-class (not dual) in Baldur's Gate 1 EE (GoG 2.0.62.2) with Specialization (2pts) in Longswords and Mastery (3pts) in Two-Weapon Style, thus the Swashbuckler kit being the obvious choice.

However, using EE Keeper I have been unable to do it.

Creating a lvl-1 Multiclass Thief/Mage and then adding the kit doesn't do anything.
Creating a lvl-1 Swashbuckler and then adding the multiclass also appears to do nothing.

I am pretty sure the problem is that the class is Mage-Thief instead of Thief-Mage and the game can't apply the S/B kit under the Mage basic class.

Is there a (mod) way to get what I'm looking for?

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited April 2016
    Create your mage/thief, add the Swashbuckler kit and then set your character levels to zero. This should prompt the game to assign the correct variables. You'll then need to go back in and adjust hit points and thieving skills down as you will have gained extra for being level one again.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the input guys,

@decado, tried it, still assigns proficiencies as a Mage/Thief.
    The ONLY thing that KINDA works is leveling a single-class SB to level 8 (where the BG1's limit would be for multiclass), THEN go to keeper, SWAP the levels from 8-0-0 to 0-8-0 and then add the multiclass.

After that you can go back ingame and advance the mage class correctly.

The obvious downsides are that I "start" with a level-8 character (way too OP) and that it STILL will advance the SB class as a thief from there on out.

@subtledoctor, thank you, will def. give it a try although I am afraid of breaking sth in-game if I alter ALL Multi-Class Thieves-Mages.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor, I tried it, unfortunately it is like the other methods, it sets the kit but doesn't apply the proper stats.

I believe it is a limitation with how the game treats the class that probably can't be hacked around and will likely need the addition of extra classes (eg Thief/Mage class in addition to Mage/Thief)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Try making a single class Swashbuckler. Then add the Mage/Thief class onto it.
    @subtledoctor, yeah, I meant both how many pips I can assign as well as the other differences between SB and Thief.
    Only thing that appears to have worked was level up a pure SB to level 8, edit hime in EE Keeper to multiclass, strip his XP points and swap the levels (from 8-0 to 0-8 so that the thief will be level 8 and the Mage 0).
    After that he can level up the mage levels independently.
    The obvious downsides are that I play a level 1 character with level 8 stats/attributes and that future levelups will treat the SB class as a thief.

@decado, if you mean a level 1 SB then I already tried that. Only thing that worked was the above "cheat".
    No it has nothing to do with your mod.

If I understand it correctly your mod basically adds an in-game innate ability to add a kit to a character, it basically does in-game using a simple conversation interface what previously would need to be loaded in EE Keeper to do, however what can be added and how it will work will depend on the game itself.

That's not an issue on your part, it won't work any differently using EE Keeper, like you said the limitation is in the game's multiclass implementation.

Only thing you could have done would be to actually ADD new, separate classes in the game. Like, for instance in order for everything to work as I mentioned you'd need to ADD a Swashbuckler / Mage multiclass (base class, not kit) and give it the appropriate tables.
    @subtledoctor I am sorry if I misrepresented something, yes, those limitations you mention ARE the things that make the class "not work correctly".

-The weapon proficiency is the very reason I chose SB over stock Thief.
    -The HLA are the reason I chose Multi-Class instead of Dual-Classing (well, one of the reasons).
    -Item usability restrictions I believe will be relaxed versus a pure SB so it should be ok.

Thankfully the kit effects are added properly like you mentioned but that makes it one out of three for me.
    I don't see how I could describe this as "working right" from my point of view but I do recognize that it depends on what the player wants to do with the class.

For instance, if I could level up the SB to lvl-12 before doing the cheat I mentioned earlier I would be OK with the pips I care about (2 for LongSword and 3 for Two-Weapon Style) so I could work around future pip allocation without much issue, however a little after that the HLAs kick in and again I'd be missing on Whirlwind Attack (will still get Use Item though making the item limitation largely inconsequential).
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Feilakas, @subtledoctor as well, you might find a way to make this work:
    If you make the kit a Mage/Thief kit instead of a Thief kit(CLASS = 13 instead of 4 in kitlist and clastext), it will switch which files it ignores and respects with regards to the kit/multiclass.

Meaning it would respect the Proficiency and HLA options for the kit instead of the base multiclass, BUT, it will ignore the kit entry in every other file it normally respects: CLAB, Backstab(crippstr,sneakatt), CLSWPBON, etc..

The CLAB can be gotten around using UseEff effects targeting the kit in either the Thief or Mage base class CLAB, the rest you would be stuck with however.

Bonus: You can do this at character creation now - Multiclass's can select kits if you add the right K_MC_R files.
    Just realized of something else too, if the SB/Mage class uses the Thief HLA that means that there is Assassination without being able to backstab.

I wonder what'll happen then...
    edited April 2016
    @kjeron I would like to test it out, not for this particular build but in general.

@subtledoctor It occurs to me that if Keeper allows for editing some flexibility, maybe your mod could theoretically be expanded to somehow offset certain things itself, perhaps not all mind you.

For instance the player would, like in my example above, choose Assassination for a HLA and then your mode once re-run would detect that and replace the Assassination that doesn't exist with Whirlwind attack that does.

Or, and I guess this one would be the better option but I potentially a lot tougher to pull off, it could read the character's proficiencies and HLA and interactively ask the player what he'd like to trade out for sth else, e.g. trade the 1pip in short swords for a 2nd in long swords or trade Assassination for Whirlwind.

The above would also be an easy way for the player to respec the character from within the game if he found his earlier choices unsatisfactory.
    I hear that.