Skip to content

MotB - Likes and Dislikes

AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
I don't know why, but my party arrived at the City of Judgement and... I lost interest. I don't dislike the game or anything; it's very well-written and the explanation of the spirit-eater curse neatly integrates with all the lore and hints that you encounter along the way. The companions are likeable. I didn't grow attached to them like I did to the OC companions, though. They're not interesting enough to mitigate my bitterness at the OC ending.

The problem is, I need to finish this game so I can get started on my BG:EE/SoD/BG2EE run!

Does anyone know how close I am to the end? My party has just arrived at the City of Judgement and I guess I have to pick sides now, between the defenders and attackers. Please tell me there is a satisfying ending! :neutral:

*edit: changed the title of this thread to be more reflective of the discussion
Post edited by Autequi on

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    You know, I had the same problem as you with MotB. A lot of it was that I found the spirit-eater mechanic to be very tedious and irritating. I know there's a mod to get rid of it, but the whole story doesn't make sense without it.

I also found the companions to be acceptable but lackluster. I missed the more colorful personalities of Khelghar, Neeshka, and even Elanee. The MotB NPC personalities just seemed so deadpan serious and flat to me - about like Casavir.

I made it, I guess it was about halfway through, before I completely lost interest and moved on to other games. That was years ago, when it was first released, and I've never been able to summon enough eagerness to try it again.

I really just don't get it how so many people call it "the best D&D game ever". I think it's the same people who love "Planescape:Torment", which I've also never played, and can't bring myself to, because it just doesn't sound interesting to me to read my way through an interactive novel during my game time. (I like a good story and characters, but I also like a lot of hack and slash action and tactical strategy in my games.)

I wanted to try it again somewhat recently after @Vallmyr liked it and made it sound exciting, and I ran a character all the way through the OC and into the first area of MotB, meaning to continue on through. And then, other games just started to sound a lot more appealing.

All that said, I still have it in mind to play it *someday*. I don't know when or if "someday" is ever really going to come or not. Maybe.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about how far into the game you are, but @Vallmyr probably can.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    You are almost done. Maybe 1 to 2 hours to go.

Interessting that both of you dislike it. I think story and atmosphere wise MotB is one of the few masterpieces of the genre, conparable to PS:T.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I played MoTB about a year or so ago, because I remember when I first got the expansion when it came out, I got bored of it about 30 minutes in, so when last I played, I said to myself im going to go all the way, but unfortunately I didn't make it, and for a few reasons:

first: the whole soul eater thing I found to be tedious as well, I eventually became used to it ( since I was a melee class so that makes it much easier) but I still feel like its a forced mechanic that really does ad value to the game, in RPGs I like taking my time searching every nook and cranny looking for goodies and things, with the whack soul eater mechanic you have the "hurry up and do things before you permanently die" sort of deal which may add some false source of direness to the game, but I was never a fan of it

Next: I don't know what it is, but the game just doesn't get me excited to play it, every time I went to play this expansion I felt is was more like doing homework than playing the game, I don't know what it is but I guess it just doesn't have the "I cant wait to play more to see what happens" sort of factor

Lastly: and then the real reason why i stopped playing the game is the because of the one dungeon i was doing, from what i recall i went into some shadow realm or some jargon, did some things and then there was this ship/castle thingy by the water? and it was just this HUGE tedious maze like dungeon that i couldnt figure my way out, my soul bar was going down and after hours of getting lost i just gave up

so i think they reason why i couldnt get into MoTB is that there is too much chillin, and when you start chillin, it just slows the flow right down

see in RPGs you need two things: chillin and killin, killin is just the core mechanic of RPGs so that always has to be good, and in MoTB i found it to be good, but with the chillin you need that to help tie your story altogether and to make sense of all the killin thats going on, BUT the chillin has to still be somewhat fast pace, in an RPG you have to keep the pace going and if you do too much chillin the pace slows right down to a crawl, and in MoTB i feel that the chillin takes place in a vat of molasses and it slows the game down too much and that is why i just cant get into it

now when it comes to NWN 2 expansions i really enjoyed SoZ, i admit that the first time i played it i couldnt get into it, but i came back a few years later, and i gave it an honest go and i really enjoyed playing the expansion, now with that being said was it a great expansion? did it knocks your socks off with awesomeness like the BG games did? Nope, not even close, but the one thing that i liked about SoZ is that it was actually fun, i think that is something that some game developers are forgetting to put into their games now adays is that "fun" factor, and when in came to fun i think SoZ did it quite well, in that game there is lots killin, and it even comes with a few very interesting fights, and the chillin factor is just perfect, its just enough to move the story along, upgrade/sell/buy items and then get back into the action

every once in a blue moon or so when i go back to the NWN 2 games, i 99 times out of 100 play SoZ, i guess its just because that one fits my play style better than the OC and MotB and i find it to be the most fun, but MoTB, i dont think i will ever get into that game ever, i appreciate all the content that came with it ( feats, classes and such) but the campaign inself can be tossed to the crows and i could care less of its existance
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    In BG2 SoA terms, it's pretty much Tree of Life/Hell so you are almost there.

The ending would depend on what you did throughout the game, so I can't help you here.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    You're very close to the end. There's quite a few endings. I heard the evil ending was super good but I haven't experienced it. There's a "perfect" ending but I didn't achieve it on my first run. The ending I did get I was satisfied with because it aligned with my character's personality.

So

Possibly?
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! If I'm that close to the end, I guess I should get my butt off the forum and just go finish the game.

*girds loins*

Be back in a few....
  • Wandering_MinstrelWandering_Minstrel Member Posts: 197
    I have not played an evil game in NWN2 / MOTB because I hear the spirit eater thing is much more brutal when being evil.
    Yeah, it's you're MUCH stronger but the spirit eater mechanic kills you more quickly. Playing a CG Gnome Bard/Shadowdancer character I didn't even have to worry about it after a while. Like as long as I suppressed it near a fey spirit I was fine.

You know, I had the same problem as you with MotB. A lot of it was that I found the spirit-eater mechanic to be very tedious and irritating. I know there's a mod to get rid of it, but the whole story doesn't make sense without it.

I actually didn't mind the spirit-eating mechanic as much as I thought I would. I Suppressed a lot and got Okku's Devotion quickly, so that helped keep my Craving down. Once I got a certain good-aligned Spirit Ability, it wasn't much of a big deal.

I also found the companions to be acceptable but lackluster. I missed the more colorful personalities of Khelghar, Neeshka, and even Elanee. The MotB NPC personalities just seemed so deadpan serious and flat to me - about like Casavir.

Agree with the NPCs. It was partly the way they were written, and partly the voice acting, I think. Everyone was so measured and monotone in that game, or at least that's that impression they left in my mind.

Side note: I played the OC with the Romance Pack installed, which improved Casavir immeasurably.

I really just don't get it how so many people call it "the best D&D game ever". I think it's the same people who love "Planescape:Torment", which I've also never played, and can't bring myself to, because it just doesn't sound interesting to me to read my way through an interactive novel during my game time. (I like a good story and characters, but I also like a lot of hack and slash action and tactical strategy in my games.)

Planescape: Torment tops my list of best games ever, actually. There is a lot of reading but it didn't feel like an interactive novel to me. Think of it as being more akin to a text adventure, maybe? One with really excellent immersive dialogs. I will admit I don't remember a thing about combat, but the game hooked me from beginning to end. I was so emotionally invested in the Nameless One and his companions. (Still shout out, 'Nooo, Morte!' every now and then.) Highly recommended.

I think people praise MotB because, like P:T, it has more philosophical depth than your average D&D game. It presents moral dilemmas and you must pick which paths are, for you, the lesser of two evils. It was well-written and well-presented, but it never drew me in the way P:T did. It's hard to invest in a new setting when you don't feel resolution from the previous one.
    Ammar said:

Interessting that both of you dislike it. I think story and atmosphere wise MotB is one of the few masterpieces of the genre, conparable to PS:T.

I didn't dislike it; I just... didn't feel that compelled by it?

In any case, I'm glad I finished it. My companions all got happy-ish endings, which wrapped things in Rashemon, but I still don't know how things turned out at Crossroads Keep. *sigh*
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    If you haven't played through the evil path in MotB friends I highly recommend that you do so. Some of the things you can do are just beyond the pale.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited April 2016
    The most annoying part about OC+MotB is that OC is unbearable to play as an evil character whereas MotB has probably some of the best writing for evil characters.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Yet another who got turned of MotB due to the spirit-eater mechanic, for precisely the reason @sarevok57 gave - I like to play a completist exploration of a game at my own pace, and that mechanic completely stressed me with an unnatural clock, all the way through the game. I never got to the point I was comfortable and did not need to worry about it, and I generally play games to relax, not live in a continually tense mode trying to balance some factor that gets between me and enjoying the game.

I did not matter how good or bad the rest of the game was at that point, I simply could not get beyond that mechanic. And one of the lessons I remember way back from a frustrating time playing DoomII - when a game starts becoming more work than fun, it has stopped being a game, and it is OK to walk away from it and find something more fun instead.

I never got going on PS/T either, but that is my own fault for not approaching it as the game it was written to be. I kept looking for another action RPG like Balur's Gate, after all, it uses the same engine, and could not slow down enough to enjoy the more measured pace and writing. That is a shame, as it sounds exactly like the kind of game I should love, but for various reasons I have played the opening hour of that game to death at various times, and now every time I restart I am bored going over the same material (admittedly with the most annoying sidekick in the game, which does not help) and can never quite make it to getting engaged with the rest of the game that I missed. Maybe one day...

As for the mention of SoZ, it is such a shame that was the last expansion. I really loved the new game features added in that expansion, but really wanted a game as large as the original campaign to make use of it. It felt completely lacking in atmospheric locations that I could explore in-game, as all the dungeons felt about as large as walking into a BG tavern, although the traveling around the new maps was awesome. You could see where the development time had gone, and the series really wanted one final expansion as the crowning glory, putting it all together. Alas, it was not to be.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    RE: the Spirit Eater aspect, I generally play a wizard with a low strength. This meant that when I traveled anywhere, I always ended up paralyzed by the strength drain upon arrival. It was prohibitive in the extreme at times and caused me to reload a bunch of times. Not really the best way to make a game mechanic in my view.

As for the rest, I thought that MoTB actually was much better written than the OC and therefore I liked it better. I haven't played in years, but I remember the story fondly and liked the fact that you could become a red Wizard (even if that wasn't the best power choice).

I seem to remember the NPCs as being likable although I do admit that I remember Neeshka and Khelgar more than the ones in MoTB, so.... Take that for what it is worth.

If you haven't played through the evil path in MotB friends I highly recommend that you do so. Some of the things you can do are just beyond the pale.

I have heard that this is one of those few games where the writers included a satisfying evil path, complete with awesome ending of epic evil-sauce.

I get traumatized whenever my avatar kicks a puppy, however, so that ending is not for me. The worst actions I can generally bear to perform are to speak frostily to entitled nobles or to ask for a quest reward.
    So, I finished the game as a Level 30 Yuan-Ti Pureblood Lawful Good Favored Soul of Kelemvor. (Good grief. When I first started playing D&D the most exotic thing one could be was an elven FMT.) I started out as a Lawful Neutral Favored Soul of Silvanus, actually, but was forced to pick a new deity when I became too Good. Talk about immersion-breaking. How did that exchange play out between the gods, I wonder. Anyway. Turned out switching to Kelemvor fit MotB pretty well; I got to have a couple of special lines of dialog due to that. Also, in high body-count areas like the Skein, I would bash the bodies after looting and pretend I was 'laying them to rest,' ha. Also, fangirl moment when I got to meet my deity in person!

Playing as a +2 ECL race wasn't a big deal. I didn't notice any drawbacks, really. Favored Souls seem pretty easy to play, except for the agony of picking spells during leveling. Word of Faith, y'all. Word of Faith. I didn't run into any problems in the OC, and only a few in MotB when I ran low on spells and tried to hit high AC enemies with my sword. (There was a lot of swinging and missing. Thank goodness for Okku.)

I consider the ending I got to be very good.
    The curse ended with me. Safiya traveled with me for a while, then took over the Academy, influencing it for the better. Gann went back with me to Crossroads Keep and accompanied me on my subsequent heroics. Okku went back to slumber in his barrow, awaking temporarily to fight off a Thayan invasion. It was implied that I killed Kaelyn, which was odd because, the last time I saw her, she was trying on masks at the Veil Theater. Of my OC companions, I guess I have to go with whatever Ammon told me, since the epiloque didn't discuss any of their fates.

So, it was worthwhile to play through once. I don't know if I'll play it again.
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    I on the other hand loved it so much more than I did the OC (which I did like, certainly a lot more than I did NWN1's OC, HotU FTW).

Granted I really loved Neeshka (NWN's Imoen IMHO), Khelgar more for the interesting turn than anything else but I found MOtB's Safiya and Gannayev-of-Dreams to be sublime.
    Kaelyn I took because I needed a Cleric and since I ways playing a Neutral Good character One-of-Many was out and Okku was simply uninteresting.

Again by virtue of going the NG route I found the curse mechanic easier than most, it is true in the beginning it takes a bit to plan around but as powers start to manifest and as the daily suppression lowers the hunger bar it actually becomes more of an asset than a hindrance.

By the end I had no issues whatsoever with it but was boosted pretty heavily by having earned all of my companions trust (and accompanying boost stats).
    For me, the most interesting companions were Safiya and Gann. The writers obviously focused on these two, and it showed. Kaelyn had an interesting background story, but her personality was fairly bland to me. Okku was rather a one-note character, but it was the most fun note :)

I did earn all my companions' devotion, but it felt a little too much like gaming the system.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited April 2016
    I tend to want to rush my first play throughs of a game then come back to them at a more deliberate pace. MOTB worked for the former approach, but was suboptimal for the latter, due to the mechanic already beaten to death above. That said, my Favored Soul that had to put Neeshka, Firehair, and Bishop down in the OC handily beat MOTB. Then again, so did my Bard, Dissonent Chord, Lyric Thaumaturge who kept Neeshka happy in the OC.

I liked the lore and the story of MOTB, and GREATLY enjoyed the environs...but I think two run throughs was enough. Conversely, I had a veritable cache of characters who I ran through or deep into the OC, that never did MOTB. I guess I enjoyed the lower levels a bit more, and being stalked by an older elf maiden turned lover. Err...anyway.

Character wise, I'd have preferred to have Khelgar come over to MOTB with the PC. I understand why they didn't do that, but Khelgar is one of my favorite characters of any game, and makes a great tank. Okku is interesting from the "I'm a bear God" perspective, which reinforces the lore of the area (something I enjoyed) and I loved his sense of honor and commitment as you built a rapport with him. Safaya was interesting from the timeline perspective, and the romance wasn't nonsensical, at least. Gannayev was great for my bard PC, not so much for my Favored Soul PC, on either the mechanical or role-play side of things. My Favored Soul couldn't abide storming the wall, so Kaelyn died, long live Kaelyn. I think my bard killed her as well. MOTB struck me as a story that would have been worthy of a novelization, but we all know how games to novelization X pan out (or don't, if you don't believe they ever existed).

All-in-all, I mostly kept NWN2 loaded for modules after a while. I think it is now retired to the dustbin of history for me, but I have said that before. MERP UK is still working on his Tolkien themed trilogy, so maybe I'll reinstall to play the series through once to completion. That would be the only reason it would be reinstalled.

Off-topic @BelgarathMTH if you like Brother Todd as a concept, the best role-play experiences in a computer game I've ever played was in a module called The Maimed God Saga on NWN2. I can't recommend that module enough.

EDIT: Fixed spelling of Safaya.
    Post edited by EnialusMeliamne on

I guess I enjoyed the lower levels a bit more, and being stalked by an older elf maiden turned lover. Err...anyway.

Ha ha, well, my bf was a disapproving paladin old enough to be my dad. Both romances were high on the creep factor.

I absolutely plan to get more use out of my NWNs. I have a ton of mods downloaded to eventually play on NWN1, and when if I ever get through with those I'll look into NWN2 mods.
    Nice! Yeah, NWN definitely has a plethora of great modules to run through. Been there, done that too. I loved Adam Miller's stuff. There are some really great ones for NWN2 as well, but the library of work isn't as abundant. It never really took off as much as NWN1 did, which honestly, is kind of a shame from my perspective. I'm not a designer, but from what I understand, the toolset is significantly less friendly in NWN2.

As far as the romances go, they're pretty limited on options. And yes, VERY Creepy McCreeperton LOL!
    If only NWN1 weren't so very ugly.... I have my fingers crossed that Beamdog will one day do a remake, although my hopes are miniscule.
    edited April 2016
    The late stage official mods for the game really pushed the Aurora Engine to greater heights, and the CEP was significant, but yeah, no getting around how blockish that game could be at its base upload. I'm not sure Beamdog could improve NWN to a greater degree over what the CEP and some of the significant modders already had done, while still trying to make money on it.

The real success for NWN was not with the base games, but with the PW's and Modules that people built and played. The only base game of that trilogy that I beat was SOU, but of hours invested in mods and PW's, I had countless. As much as an enhanced NWN from Beamdog appeals to me as well, getting the thousands of modders to come back to that toolset who've largely left...that would be Herculean, but necessary, for NWNEE to succeed. I don't think that's a ship that sails.
    Post edited by EnialusMeliamne on
    SOTU?

The late stage official mods for the game really pushed the Aurora Engine to greater heights, and the CEP was significant, but yeah, no getting around how blockish that game could be at its base upload. I'm not sure Beamdog could improve NWN to a greater degree over what the CEP and some of the significant modders already had done, while still trying to make money on it.

The real success for NWN was not with the base games, but with the PW's and Modules that people built and played. The only base game of that trilogy that I beat was SOTU, but of hours invested in mods and PW's, I had countless. As much as an enhanced NWN from Beamdog appeals to me as well, getting the thousands of modders to come back to that toolset who've largely left...that would be Herculean, but necessary, for NWNEE to succeed. I don't think that's a ship that sails.

One of my personal favorite NWN mods is the Player Resource Consortium mod.

It adds like 99% of D&D 3.0/3.5's classes, prestige classes, and spells.

Still missing a few like the Fochlucan Lyrist (a recent favorite prc of mine) but has plenty of others.

http://www.athasreborn.com/prc/manual/

I need to play the original NWN's expansions as I've only played the OC.

/sigh
    I have so many games on my to-do list.
    Autequi said:

SOTU?

Sorry, I meant SOU (Shadows of Undrentide). Fixing the previous post.
    One thing I loved about MotB is that you can tease or disagree with your companions and if you do it well enough you might even gain influence because you impress them with your wit or intelligence etc.

I really hated that quest in the OC where you gotta help Khelgar get over himself so he can become a monk. I was trying to point out to Khelgar that he wasn't thinking things through or not seeing things from the other person's side which was the goal of the quest and he's hating every minute of it and losing influence. The way to pass the quest is just to suck up to him and antagonise people so you get into pointless fights (the opposite of one of the things he is supposed to learn) until he likes you enough to realise he's being a jerk on his own.

The whole campaign is really just a mess but I still love it my friends. MotB is a true masterpiece though, if you like games with big stories and great characterisation then you owe it to yourself to play through it. Put on God Mode if you think its too hard or you don't like that one mechanic. Its the dialogue and choices you make that are the real treasure.
    Vallmyr said:

One of my personal favorite NWN mods is the Player Resource Consortium mod.

It adds like 99% of D&D 3.0/3.5's classes, prestige classes, and spells.

Oh, that sounds intriguing! I've never paid much attention to those mods that add classes, races, etc, but I had such a blast with my Favored Soul I'm more open to the idea.

HOTU was the best official campaign for NWN1. The OC was just blah. SOU was more interesting, but ultimately forgettable--at least I've forgotten most of it. HOTU had well-written henchmen, more player agency, and was just a fun experience all around. If you're thinking about playing it, well, I'd definitely recommend it.

One thing I loved about MotB is that you can tease or disagree with your companions and if you do it well enough you might even gain influence because you impress them with your wit or intelligence etc.

I really hated that quest in the OC where you gotta help Khelgar get over himself so he can become a monk. I was trying to point out to Khelgar that he wasn't thinking things through or not seeing things from the other person's side which was the goal of the quest and he's hating every minute of it and losing influence. The way to pass the quest is just to suck up to him and antagonise people so you get into pointless fights (the opposite of one of the things he is supposed to learn) until he likes you enough to realise he's being a jerk on his own.

Word.

The irony with Khelgar is that you have to have high influence in order for him to chose monk hood, although that is what he wanted in the first place. Maybe it's supposed to convey that he finally understands what it means to be a monk, and you have to convince him that he indeed has what it takes, but it just came across as waffling.

In MotB, I was trying to play true to my character, but I still found myself gaming the influence system to get points (and accompanying perks) as soon as possible. I'd rather have point losses/gains due more to your deeds and your words to other people (whether or not your companion is in your party), than by endlessly complimenting Gann's looks.

I do remember impressing Safiya at some point by doing something mechanical, which was cool.

The whole campaign is really just a mess but I still love it my friends. MotB is a true masterpiece though, if you like games with big stories and great characterisation then you owe it to yourself to play through it. Put on God Mode if you think its too hard or you don't like that one mechanic. Its the dialogue and choices you make that are the real treasure.

I told myself I would use the NWN2 Character Editor to reset the hunger bar if it ever got too onerous, but I never had to resort to that. Plus I kept a reserve of spirits in the Myrkul temple in case of emergency. Did have to do that once.
    The cool thing about Gann is that he loves banter. While you can get influence with him by fawning over him, if you diss him in a clever way (maybe theres a charisma check?) he just laughs and gets the same or maybe more influence.