Skip to content

Haer'Dalis and patch 2.1 question

Hi,

I don't understand the fix regarding Haer'Dalis in the 2.1 release notes : "Haer'Dalis will now receive a second proficiency point in Long Swords if he has at least 1.2 million experience points"

I am still on version 1.3, and when I recruited Haer'Dalis he was level 10, but with 1'200'000 XP, which allowed me to directly level him up to level 15, and he had these proficiency points (at level 10) :

Short sword ++
Dagger +
Dart +
Two-weapon style ++

First, although Blades can put three pips in Two-weapon style, they normally cannot be "Specialized" or more (2 points or more) in other slots, and here Haer'Dalis has 2 in Short swords. How come ? Then, he has too many points for his level : at level 10 he should have 4 spent points, not 6. And when I found him, he had no points in Long swords. Could someone explain what is going on please ? :)

Comments

• QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    I'd assume his 2 in short swords in intended, so he's somehow different from a vanilla created blade. Plus his own swords are short, makes sense for him to know how to handle them. I like he has more pips.
    jackjack
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Haer'Dalis has several interesting special features. Not only does he gain proficiency points otherwise not available to Blades, he also has very nice resistances due to being a Tiefling (a race the player cannot choose).
    jackjack
  • BanArdBanArd Member Posts: 60
    His cheated specialization is justified on account of him being a Doomguard, a faction from Sigil. Apparently they are awesome with any type of swords.
    jackjack
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    This was done because in previous versions (including in the original BG2) when Haer'Dalis was met at level 15 or level 19 (the two highest level versions of him) he would already have 2 pips on long swords. Due to the change in the way 2.0 handles joining NPCs (giving them an XP value similar to Charname and allowing you to level them up and distribute their skills as you want to) it became impossible to get the second pip in long swords. The devs, however, figured they would rewrite Haer'Dalis' script so that it was possible to get the second pip again. Now he will automatically get the second pip assigned to him once he reaches level 15, but only if he already has the first pip in long swords.