Skip to content

Baldur's Gate exists as an MMORPG in NWN 2

YathrinYathrin Member Posts: 70
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
Three years ago there was a thread about a Baldur's Gate server built on Neverwinter Nights 2 and running like an MMORPG.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/5412/there-is-an-excellent-online-baldurs-gate-game-out-there/p1

The server is still running as strong as ever with a lot of patches, updates and new content introduced since 2012.

GAME TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReztS0Qup4&feature=youtu.be

STORY TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqiaZud-S0&feature=youtu.be

Since 2011 they've had a team of dedicated dungeon masters running global persistent role-playing campaigns.

http://bgtscc1.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=399&sid=6751609ade5b6ef3bf2c5d00c01e739b

The 1347 (2011) Campaign - The "Nemesis of the Gods" and "Amn-Gate War" Campaign

The 1348 (2012) Campaign - The "Year of Unrest" Campaign

The 1349 (2013) Campaign - The "Year of the Bridle" Campaign

The 1350 (2014) Campaign - The "Year of the Morningstar" Campaign

The 1351 (2015) Campaign - The "Year of the Crown" Campaign

The 1352 (2016) Campaign - The "Year of the Dragon" Campaign

Post edited by Yathrin on

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I used to spend quite a bit of time there a few years back. It looks like a lot has changed because I don't recognize most of these pictures. Kudos by the way for compiling them. They are beautiful.

When I did spend time there I found quite a lot to enjoy. There is (or was at that time and probably still is) a robust role play community dedicated to the fun of everyone and the DMs are regularly involved in the goings on.

I will say that at the time I found their focus and creative direction, specifically related towards rewards and advancement, to be at odds with my own. Not that I had the "Right" way, but theirs was just different than I'd have chosen. Also, there was then a HEAVY focus on HIPS (an ability that I find abhorrent) such that if you didn't have it you weren't going to survive long in PVP. And the excuses that some players used to get into PVP were quite flimsy, yet still supported by the DMs.

But that was years ago and it took me several years of fun to play to get to the point I was at when I left. I'd highly recommend it if people want a Role Play adventure in the Baldur's Gate setting.
  • YathrinYathrin Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2016

I used to spend quite a bit of time there a few years back. It looks like a lot has changed because I don't recognize most of these pictures. Kudos by the way for compiling them. They are beautiful.

Old players might have missed a number of changes to different things (like new faces and hairstyles :)).

Original Sun Elves

New Sun Elves

Original Drow

New Drow

Original Moon Elves

New Moon Elves

Original Humans

New Humans

And what would the Zhentarim do at Darkhold without the wall of Dovahkin and statue of Alduin. :D

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Any tips for a new person wanting to play on the server? I logged onto it before but got lost quickly and didn't really know where I was supposed to go or what to do >_>
    Vallmyr said:

Any tips for a new person wanting to play on the server? I logged onto it before but got lost quickly and didn't really know where I was supposed to go or what to do >_>

The first five minutes of the game trailer I posted above show how new players usually begin the game if you play on the surface instead of the Underdark. The druid character in the video is level 1. You can find the graveyard shown in the video if you leave Baldur's Gate through east gates and then continue east across the farmlands. There are usually at least one or two people at the graveyard, so you can group with them and fight some undead to gain a higher level needed to travel further from the city more safely.

After 5:33 you can see gameplay with a level 17-18 fighter/bard/cleric and at the end some footage from the Underdark with a drow level 30 blackguard/favored soul of Shar.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Oh there is no question in my mind that they did AWESOME stuff with hair and costumes. One of the best parts of the game I remember was the insane number of choices you had for the look of your outfit/armor. It was loads of fun to play and customize your character any way you wanted.

I might go back someday and play some more. I've actually been thinking about doing exactly that, but since Dark Souls 3 came out and Siege of Dragonspear, I just don't have the time at the moment.
    A fresh new video which shows an adventure of a small group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC8qwtHKj1Q
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Dragon born, yay or nay?

@Yathrin
    Yay, a dragon slayer or a dragon! The druid character in the videos above can become a dragon if she ever reaches epic levels.

The screenshot shows an old way how some players who had dragon characters hid from players who had dragon slayer characters. :D

The funniest part is that this is not a joke and the screenshot and the situation in it is real. There really used to be a bug that allowed characters with dragon shape form to flip their dragon characters upside down in NWN 2 if certain spell effects were used and then removed. On the Baldur's Gate server there really is a dragon slayer prestige class. The dragon character hid himself by flipping upside down on the bridge and saved himself from a PvP confrontation with dragon slayers.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Yathrin
    And like a whore who gave up her lustrous ways to be a nun, you lost me. I'm interested in actually being of the drocanic race, not just a shapeshifting ability.
    In addition to more traditional races, standard character creation is only limited to orcs, minotaurs, tieflings, tanarukk, aasimar, imaskari and different types of genasi. Yan-ti and dinosaurs are disabled. There is nothing resembling the D&D dragonborn race. Maybe lizardfolk or kobold but that's only through shapeshifting abilities if they are even part of the selectable creatures.
    Here is a much shorter game trailer with a lot more content packed into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aReztS0Qup4&feature=youtu.be
    The newest video shows PvE group gameplay in the eastern part of the Cloakwood Forest. You can see battles in which both players and monsters use melee attacks, ranged attacks and different types of magic spells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYGfbi_b2lk
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Yep, BGTSCC: Baldur's Gate The Sword Coast Chronicles.

I played there in their small Underdark for about 5 to 6 years and even ran a house in that heretic city down there for about a year. I never reached level 30 as I wasn't a fan of grinding, but was an avid roleplayer. Most of the Underdark was come to think of it. We had a great community that in ooc was quite friendly to eachother but in RP was ready to rip each other apart. :tongue:

My main characters were:

Lomith Dy'nesen/Despval/Zau'afin
    - By the end I had become so good at manipulating people that the opposing house was thrown into the outskirts of the Underdark for things my house did. It didn't help them though with their publicly announcing certain deaths like the mage Isendur Sshamath(One of the main characters).
    - Was the matron of the Zau'afins for the last year that I played. Zau'afin was nicknamed "The commoner house" as it was a mishmash group, that had characters from all different kinds of places, that were not actually family.
    Durafein Zau'afin
    - a small time thief that made his living picking pockets in the market. Eloril found out later and hunted the thief down, and instead of killing him, hired him. Eventually he proved himself and was let into the house.
    I had more characters over the years, but those two were the major ones.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Seriously, though, Neverwinter Nights 2 is pure crap compared to the original Neverwinter Nights.

Also, who the hell thought that Neverwinter Nights would be a better idea than Sword Coast Nights? That man (surely it was a he) should be stoned to death, or eaten alive by man-eating squirrels.
    God said:

Seriously, though, Neverwinter Nights 2 is pure crap compared to the original Neverwinter Nights.

Neverwinter Nights 1 was great but Neverwinter Nights 2 is amazing too these days.

https://youtu.be/d8xTF9pKD6I
    "BG:TSCC is currently made up of 54 staff members. This includes 10 developers and administrators, 23 Dungeon Masters, 5 forum moderators, and 16 quality control testers. Each of these individuals works for free, in their spare time, out of their love of Neverwinter Nights 2, BG:TSCC, and the Forgotten Realms. Together, with our hundreds of players, we are building a persistent world that spans the Sword Coast and beyond.

We have approximately 350 exquisitely-detailed and expertly-built area maps in game for you to explore, dozens of custom classes and feats, scores of new spells -- and as we grow we continue to add new areas, better monsters, unique features, quests and more."

Source: https://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52574