Skip to content

Sarevok: From Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good.

Iam sure this has been discussed here many times before. For years I've heard about this alignment change, but I've never experienced it. Has anyone got it without using console? Iam doing a new playthrough in Throne of Bhaal (first time with 2.0 patch). What do I have to do exactly to make him talk? I've left the game idle for few hours now and only party banter is happening, but Sarevok himself has not spoken to me yet. I've done 2 challenges in Pocket Plane and he has been in my party for over 10 in-game days now. What do I have to do to trigger his dialogue? Or did I mess up my chance?

- I allowed Imoen to sacrifice her soul.
- My reputation is at 20 (Heroic) and all Sarevok does is complaining about my deeds, but never leaves.

Iam trying to do this legit without cheating. I usually keep him Evil, but now I wanted to try out to change him due to role-playing reasons.
RAM021

Comments

• AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    Did you let him make a vow to you?
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    I read from somewhere that it's more difficult to make Chaotic Good if he swears an oath, so I didn't ask any oath from him.

Iam now concerned if it's important to sacrifice my own soul instead of letting Imoen to do it.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Heavyline said:

Iam now concerned if it's important to sacrifice my own soul instead of letting Imoen to do it.

I always did the same (i am a nice brother) and it worked anyway, so i don't know what's wrong.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Think about leading by example. Show him that you can be both merciful, self sacrificing and badass.
    jackjackNonnahswriter
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Maybe you should give us a spoiler alert, I personally haven't finished ToB more than once, and that is without Sarevok.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    I always thought it was a bit much to jump from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good. I think it should have been done in stages: Evil -> Neutral -> Good, or only up to neutral (like Viconia). I would have actually left him at neutral :smiley:
    KamigoroshibooinyoureyesRAM021Malicron
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Ascension mod fixes this issue, his banters pop up more frequently and correctly. Otherwise, it may take too long for the talks to come. Or you may not see all of the banters.
    Ofcourse, ascension does many other (IMHO, awesome) things to the game and may not be for every player.

I don't think whether the pc or Imoen gives the soul spark makes difference. Forcing him an oath for joining does affect the process, however. I think forcing him an oath will make the conversion into good very difficult, if not impossible. Also your diaogue choices, alignment and reputation play roles.
    booinyoureyesRAM021
  • MMMMKMMMMK Member Posts: 30
    Well in my last play through (with Ascension, mind you) I forced him to take the oath and I still converted him to the good alignment, so I'm not sure if that matters at all in Ascension.
  • namenlosnamenlos Member Posts: 51
    Nuin said:

It's not actually a big leap from chaotic evil->chaotic good in Sarevok's case. His "last Bhaalspawn standing" ambition was the major driving force behind almost all his actions in BG1. Then, you kill him.

^this. The way the alignment tree looks gives it the feel that you progress up and down it, while good and evil are actually not tied to Law or Chaos at all. He's still chaotic and "follows no mans laws" but does good things all the same(this is how I interpret it :D ).

GoturalRAM021
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    Iirc don't make him swear the oath but do the same treatment with him as you would with viconia to make her true neutral. This opens him up to alternative thinking.

When he gets rowdy remind him he's there cuz ur brothers, remind him but don't be an ass about it. He does turn without the cheats. Just gotta be patient. It's also timerd like the romances of bg2 so if you rip through to fast it'll never happen.
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    Another cool thing to do with this guy is dual class him into a thief. Backstabbing with an 18/00 is fun and even funner if you give him a 2 hand sword once he gets his fighter abilities back.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Don't think you can backstab with a 2-hander, though. Can you?
    RAM021
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    jackjack said:

Only weapons usable by a single-class unkitted lvl1 Thief can be used to backstab. Any other weapon, even if available via UAI, will not work.
    jackjackRAM021
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    jackjack said:

I did..... x5 damage too. was one dead dragon
    Arius said:

jackjack said:

To clarify, you can backstab with some weapons that are 2-handed, namely quarterstaves. You cannot however backstab with 2-handed swords, unless you mod the game.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363

Arius said:

jackjack said:

To clarify, you can backstab with some weapons that are 2-handed, namely quarterstaves. You cannot however backstab with 2-handed swords, unless you mod the game.
    It's where UAI with Staff of the Magi becomes quite...dumb to say the least.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2016
    Pretty sure you can't backstab with the SotM either.
    Edit: I say this because I seem to remember editing the .ITM file to change that.
    Correct, you cannot backstab with SotM even with UAI because it can't normally be used by Thieves. If you want to be able to do it, you have to change the game in some way.
    RAM021
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    I was able to get Sarevok from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good. However, even if I find this whole opportunity awesome, I was little disappointed by it. I kinda wish it was done better.

For example.

- I've always wished that Sarevok's alignment change was done by a side quest, rather than waiting idle for 10+ hours or using console to get the interactions with him. Anomen is a great example where his alignment changes, depending what happened in his side quest. Now I hope there was more like this in Sarevok. (Maybe face Tamoko or former Iron Throne member and the outcome of the side quest will change Sarevok to Chaotic Good or keep him evil.)
    - His alignment change happens very quickly. Too quickly perhaps. Even if it was frustraiting to wait for the dialogues. I didn't even realize he had a moment of "Redemption" when it happened. All he said was... "I shall have to think on your words most carefully." and then BAM! he is Chaotic Good all the sudden. With no new voice commands etc. (Again. Like Anomen did. He sounds more kind when he is Lawful Good. Instead of saying annoyingly "WHAT is it now?" like Edwin. His voiceset is replaced with. "Iam ready to act")
    - No new party banters between Sarevok and other NPCs. I was kinda hoping Imoen and Sarevok started to get along more when Sarevok has become 'good guy'.
    - Epilogue for Sarevok wasn't much different. Maybe it had some minor changes. Iam not sure. But it still was the same epilogue.
    RAM021
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited April 2016
    Heavyline said:

I was able to get Sarevok from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Good. However, even if I find this whole opportunity awesome, I was little disappointed by it. I kinda wish it was done better.

For example.

- I've always wished that Sarevok's alignment change was done by a side quest, rather than waiting idle for 10+ hours or using console to get the interactions with him. Anomen is a great example where his alignment changes, depending what happened in his side quest. Now I hope there was more like this in Sarevok. (Maybe face Tamoko or former Iron Throne member and the outcome of the side quest will change Sarevok to Chaotic Good or keep him evil.)
    - His alignment change happens very quickly. Too quickly perhaps. Even if it was frustraiting to wait for the dialogues. I didn't even realize he had a moment of "Redemption" when it happened. All he said was... "I shall have to think on your words most carefully." and then BAM! he is Chaotic Good all the sudden. With no new voice commands etc. (Again. Like Anomen did. He sounds more kind when he is Lawful Good. Instead of saying annoyingly "WHAT is it now?" like Edwin. His voiceset is replaced with. "Iam ready to act")
    - No new party banters between Sarevok and other NPCs. I was kinda hoping Imoen and Sarevok started to get along more when Sarevok has become 'good guy'.
    - Epilogue for Sarevok wasn't much different. Maybe it had some minor changes. Iam not sure. But it still was the same epilogue.

There is a banter between Imoen and Sarevok if she gives him part of her soul. Plus there was a banter with Anomen and another with Keldorn as I recall from my last playthrough.
    danaduchy.tumblr.com/bg2

Imoen: So... Sarevok. You've had an itty-bitty piece of my soul in there for quite a while now. What's it been like?
    Sarevok: *sigh* Well, other than a slight obsession with my weight and the resurgence of a few pimples, it's been simply grand. Now leave me be, girl.
    Imoen: No, I'm serious. Does the fact that you've got a piece of me inside you make any difference at all? Tell me... you owe me that much.
    Sarevok: What do you wish to know, girl? What are you curious about? Perhaps you would be interested to know that I can feel the knives of Irenicus, slicing into my skin, torturing me. I can feel his hands and his breath, I *know* what he did to you, girl...
    Imoen: All...all right, stop... I wasn't really serious...
    Sarevok: How about the agony you felt as your soul was ripped from you? The despair at being left only with the cold voices of your tainted heart, discovering what was inside you all along? How about the hurt you keep deep down within, wondering if you weren't good enough for Gorion? Wondering why you're a Bhaalspawn? How about the loneliness... the unrequited longing you...
    Imoen: Stop! Enough... I won't bother you, Sarevok, just...
    Sarevok: You are pathetic, girl. When the true Bhaalspawn come to claim your essence, I hope you bring yourself not to flop onto your back at the first hint of danger!
    Imoen: I... I was enough to help kill you once, Sarevok! And I'll stand by to the end, just you wait. It was... obviously a mistake to talk to you. Excuse me.
    *Sarevok: I feel many things, Imoen. And I know that you are stronger than you think you are.
    Imoen: I... thanks, Sarevok. I guess. Um... excuse me...
    RAM021
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    Daevelon said:

I just remember that you don't have to request for an oath, just trust in his word. This is very important for future banters and then is pretty straight.

Sorry for the necro, but isn't it necessary to make Sarevok swear the oath in order to prevent him from leaving if your rep gets too high?
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    I've never had him leave, oath or no.
    ThacoBellDaevelon
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    The entire alignment change process is described here, in detail:

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Sarevok_Anchev
    SharGuidesMyHand