Skip to content

Kangaxx the Demilich

124»

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Finally took on Kangaxx for the first time in a decade last week, and was surprised how easy he was (experience helps, it seems!) and that the initial lich form was actually the tricky part of the fight.

Basically, I deferred the cliches, Kangaxx and the twisted rune until the end of chapter 3, doing almost all other content - just Firkraag remained before sailing, so relatively high level pre-spellhold. All I needed was Minsc with improved Mace of Discruption (2* in mace), Belm (no pips!), and Improved Haste - no defense at all, rest of the party hiding back at the entrance.

Without improved haste, I had taken the previous 3 liches in just one round, without improved haste, usually taking just two, occasionally three, swipes with the mace. For Kangaxx I threw in improved haste for 7 APR with the mace - and the lich form simply stood there and took it for 2 rounds. I'm not sure if the initial lich is missing an undead flag, but I killed it with straight damage rather than the save-or-die effect of the mace, well into double-digit strikes. I was now extremely worried about the demilich form, as I had no defenses at all, and everything relied on Minsc alone, but three swipes with the mace and he was gone.

So yes, with the right kit, you can ignore defense entirely and go all out offensive and still win this fight. I'm sure it would be different with SCS, but I'm the rare guy around here that doesn't play mods.
  • ShivanShivan Member Posts: 22
    The only mods I have turned on are gibberlings bg2tweaks, just a sensible few of them, that change as little as possible like clubs for everyone, no fail for writing spells, and other minor tweaks that don't chamge content.

I will say that although no mods helped me solo kangaxx, that clubs for all tweak did help in blck pits 2, where the club of detonation absolutely destroys the two demiliches. Massacres them, no chance. Just one or two casts of PfMW, and SI:Abj. Hardest fights for my bp2 sorc to solo were the drow, the planetars, and the ravager. Liches were probably the easiest fight!
  • ThesblahThesblah Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2015
    Is it considered cheesy to use polymorph self to become a mustard jelly which is immune to his barrage of spells he casts in his first lich form? I don't think it should be considered cheesy. You still have to worry about the pit fiend and efreeti he summons.

Demilich mode was easy for me. I just had Korgan charge him while enraged and CHARNAME ran up and whacked him a couple times with Daystar while hasted.

I beat it on the first try while being relatively low level.
  • SkieSkie Member Posts: 90
    edited April 2015
    I use SCS, and I actually managed to kill the demi in a few seconds using ring of the ram + sunray (from daystar +2, but I guess the priest spell would work too).

o.o
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    1. Scroll of Undead Protection from Adventurer's Mart Available Immediately.
    2. Daystar +2 From the locked Chest Available Immediately.

My FMT always kills Kangaxx in 3 swings and isn't touched.

I've played this game too much that after about an hour into BG2 I have Belm, Robe of Vecna, Daystar, Ring of Gaxx, Amulet of Power, Helm of Balduran, Ring of Protection +2, etc.

Knowledge is everything in this game ^_^
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    @ahhyep of course Kangaxx is doable when you are a HLA level necromancer.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2016
    Welp, I just killed him with solo Daystar-wielding Keldorn while Gaxx was focusing on zerking Korgan. Core rules, everyone else was bystanding and cheering for the elderly paladin. At level 9 before even leaving Amn too...
  • sergsalvsergsalv Member Posts: 2
    i discovered that you can use "staff of wonder" until you petrify him (game considers you killed him and registrates the 55000 experience points, lol). It was weird to see that happens. I did unpetrify him just to see what happens, but he instantly killed one of my characters. So, you can hit him when he is petrified to kill him, just to complete the job. WEIRD...