Skip to content

[Work Around] 2.1 Multiplayer crashes when saving or quick saving.

TalysTalys Member Posts: 15
edited April 2016 in Troubleshooting
Hi;
Hearing new patch would make multiplayer working again, my husband and I updated BG:EE on Steam...As a result, each time he (as the host) tries to quick save or just save, game crashes...Are we the only ones in this case ?
Post edited by Cerevant on

Comments

• EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    I have different problem. I have just tried creating new multiplayer game and as soon as prolog screen apeared game crashed.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @Talys What kind of computer is your husband playing on? Check the documents folder and do the following:
    * If there is a link file called "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition", delete it
    * If there is a folder called "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition", rename it
    * If there isn't either of the above, create a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder

JuliusBorisov
  • TalysTalys Member Posts: 15
    We're both on PC, Windows 7 64. I'm gonna look at this, thanks !
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited April 2016
    I have the same issue Talys. Using Windows 10. Cerevant, I did what you recommended. The game doesn't recognized my newly renamed folder. So it just creates a brand new folder by itself.
    Talys
    That's the idea. Try copying the save games (not the save folder, but it's contents) into the newly created folder.
  • 13floors13floors Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    I'm having the same issue - I tried renaming the folder, and when BG launches again it created a new folder, and quicksave worked for new MP games. However, after I transferred the save file from the original folder back, the game crashes again when I try to save. Any other suggestions?
    Post edited by 13floors on
    Multiplayer is borked. :(
  • brockh32brockh32 Member Posts: 3
    Same problem but mine started thursday night I believe. I've tried with my friend/ without my friend. I've renamed the folder so the game would make a new one also tried to reinstall. I've tried taking the file from him and trying to load it on my computer. I've tried quick save, save overwrite, create a new save and even auto saving. both versions of my save don't work. I'm in area BD7200 twards the end of the map. I've started a new game and saving works. Seems like the save is corrupt my other save was in the map just before this one and it doesn't work either... sad if we lost that game.
  • 13floors13floors Member Posts: 2
    I copied the MP save file to the single player folder, and I'm able to play it just fine in that mode. Hopefully they will be able to fix MP soon.
    Ficjusz
  • FicjuszFicjusz Member Posts: 20
    Etamin said:

I have different problem. I have just tried creating new multiplayer game and as soon as prolog screen apeared game crashed.

I have exact same problem, though loading a multiplayer game works fine.
    Turned out that game crashes during saving in Friendly Arm Inn area. OFC only in multiplayer. Loading troublesome saves in singleplayer, going to another area (thus autosaving) is absolutely fine, but not very comfortable.
  • markzakumarkzaku Member Posts: 34
    edited April 2016
    My experience of multiplayer save crashing also started in the Friendly Arm Inn. My friend and I made it off the map to AR2800, but unfortunately we're crashing every time we save there now, too.
    Anyone who is seeing MP crash on save: try disabling cloud saves and see if you have the same issue.
  • AratoArato Member Posts: 6
    Cloud saves disable - same crash during quick save.
    I never turned on the cloud saves feature. I'm still crashing. :(
    If you're not playing in English, switch to it in options. Should help.
  • AratoArato Member Posts: 6
    Switched already - nope. Still crush.
    Arato said:

So I think your savegame got broken. Start another game in English and the bug shouldn't be present.
  • echooechoo Member Posts: 43
    I'm having the same issue. My client crashes when quicksaving or saving manually in MP. Show stopping bug. Please fix this, beamdog... I tried renaming the save folder which doesn't really do anything.
    Bund
    Play in English until they fix it.
    Ficjusz said:

Arato said:

So I think your savegame got broken. Start another game in English and the bug shouldn't be present.
    I've played the game in English the whole time. Game is still broken.
    Bund
  • bastarcbastarc Member Posts: 7
    Cerevant said:

@Talys What kind of computer is your husband playing on? Check the documents folder and do the following:
    * If there isn't either of the above, create a "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" folder

This creates a new folder fine, and new saves work as well. but when i copy my old game to the folder it crashes on saving
    Bund
    @bastarc can I get a screen cap of the contents of your save folder?
    edited April 2016
    Cerevant, I tried again what you said and I had the same issue occur. My old game would crash upon saving. So my guess is it has something to do with the update because there wasn't this issue prior to the update. So just call me Capt. Obvious. :)
    Post edited by cbarchuk on
    @Cerevant
    Cerevant said:

@bastarc can I get a screen cap of the contents of your save folder?

Here is the new save folder that was created, Auto-save was replaced with my save game from the previous version. The test save you see was made in the new version and works fine but the auto-save loads properly and then crashes when saving.

Let me know if you need anything else

Can you zip up (right click / compress) the crashing save and attach it here?
    Bund
    edited April 2016
    Cerevant said:

Can you zip up (right click / compress) the crashing save and attach it here?

@Cerevant here:

Edit: in response to Gate70's post below
    1) this save game was made in the version just prior to the most recent update
    2) a new game made in the new version works fine
    3) there are no mods installed
    4) game crashes when attempting to save, even if I play it by myself (LAN connection mode with no clients)
    Post edited by bastarc on
    Bund
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    For a crash in multiplayer with a game language other than English, please try a new game with the language set to English (requires the game to be restarted to take effect). If you can save, the crash is likely due to http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/22836 and if the existing save doesn't work with English we don't currently have a workaround to offer.

If the game was started in a version prior to v2.1.63.2, please a) mention it b) try a new game to see if that works c) zip and attach the save stating it was started with an earlier version so we can look for patterns.

If you have a game override folder, please advise if there is anything in it.

Confirm host and all clients have the same game version, game language and no mods.

Lastly;
    Thanks
    Bund
  • MorgsMorgs Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I've the same problem (save, quick save crash) also when I play in Italian language in MP session. The game seems to work fine only when playing a new game in English.
    I've also tried to load the game in English (saved in previuos game 2.1 patch), but unfortunately it crashes during every saving mode (e.g. quick, autosave).

Please find here attached screen override folder and latest savegame:

Bund
  • vreishvreish Member Posts: 28
    My friend and I are playing a multiplayer game, and it also crashes every time we try to save. (Whether quick save, or standard.)

We're using a Mac desktop and a PC, and had no problems up to the last update. Tried a few things we saw suggested online, but they didn't work.