Skip to content

Importing a final save into BG2EE?

Axl_KrowAxl_Krow Member Posts: 69
Okay, so I Googled and Googled and didn't really find the answers I was looking for. The posts I came across answering my question were from ~1-2 years ago and before some of the patches.

I did read that BD intended to make romance variables importable. So to try and verify this, I went to my Final Save and exported my character. I then opened the CHR file with EE Keeper, but he doesn't have any variables listed at all.

Can someone just give me a complete, thorough rundown on how to do this and make sure it works properly?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I believe you need to import the save (not the character) in BG2EE to get the love variables.
  • Axl_KrowAxl_Krow Member Posts: 69
    Okay, so I just tried that, but it said it couldn't load the file.
    Hey, I think I figured it out! (with your help, ofc :P)

So I imported the character FROM the save after putting the file in the BG2 folder.

After starting a game, his Neera_Romance variable is 3; that's where it was after I finished it in BG1.

Does that mean I'm good to go?
    Well, a 3 as xxx_romance means you failed the romance. You can edit it to 1 if you wanna start over though.
    edited July 2015
    Hmmm.... Then what should the variable be if I completed the BG1 segment of the romance?

I've done it before, so I'm not too worried about it.

I just want to start BG2 with her acknowledging the completed romance from BG1.

Update: According to what someone else posted, I think the variable's alright.

"-1 annoyed, and you can never get into her panties.
    0 not started
    1-2 in middle of something
    3 end of content for now. "

I got the kiss. Any other option I picked after that, all ended the same.
    Well, in fact I am not too sure about BG1 love variables, but I am quite sure that BG2 love variable are as follows:
    1 Romance not started or going on
    2 Couple committed ( Romance not ended yet)
    3 Romance failed.
    But maybe Beamdog created a separate set or variables (I have not modified mine for EE romance but I am quite sure that for vanilla romance they were called AerieRomance, for example, and not Aerie_Romance, so maybe those with the _ are Beamdog variables)

That's all I know, you may want to wait for some more helpful help though. Maybe @elminster could be more useful than me :smile:
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Trying to import my BG1 kensai into my BG2 game. Which files/folders do I need to look for, since I cannot tell what is what to copy?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Trying to import my BG1 kensai into my BG2 game. Which files/folders do I need to look for, since I cannot tell what is what to copy?

Go to documents/baldur's gate enhanced edition/save

The save folder you want to copy should have a name like "00000001 - Final Save" though that can vary.

Copy that folder to

documents/baldur's gate 2 enhanced edition/save

When you are in the game press "Shadows of Amn" -> "Single Player" -> "New Game" -> "Import" -> "Save Game" and then select your save game and then your character.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    Thanks, Elminster!:)
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited April 2016
    Beware, of the thread necromancer. Anyway, this is the most relevant thread that I could find w/relation to the problem that I'm running into, with my Mac.

Good evening to you. I've run into a bit of an issue in regards to importing a character from a SOD save. I'll highlight the steps via uploaded photos to more accurately capture the issue that I'm running into. A few immediate notes that will probably aid in facilitating the discussion. I am running a Macbook Air Mid 2013 with 10.11.4 (El Capitan). I do have all EE variants patched up to 2.0 (Edit: All Beamdog purchases). My save files are copied from my Baldur's Gate folder into the Baldur's Gate II folder displayed here:

Drilled down further here (NOTE: Ignore the mod files, as they are NOT installed...this is a fresh 2.0 download of BGII)

I've followed the step-by-step requirements for importing from a save to start my Baldur's Gate II play through after completing SOD for the second time. Start SoA, Single Player, New Game, Import, Save Game (yada...)

Now, as you can see from the next upload, I do not have anything to load from (see next screenshot).

I did not have this problem prior to 2.0 upload. What I'm wondering is, did a default function of some variant change whereby the game looks in another location for save imports? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Regards.

Post edited by EnialusMeliamne on
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I'm reasonably sure that importing from SoD will pull from your BGEE save folder, you don't need to copy savegames to BG2EE save folder.
    edited April 2016
    I think I failed to articulate the issue in a clear enough fashion. My apologies. I've finished a BGI and SOD play through, and now wish to play my character in BGIIEE. I've copied my final SOD save over to the BGIIEE save folders, in order to import my character from it. Unfortunately, the save isn't showing up on the import function screen. I'm wondering if the default location for save imports has been lost somehow.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Notice that from version 2 on BG II actually reads your BG savegames without the need to copy anything.

I really don't know about the variables as I have not finished my SoD playthrough and I wasn't romancing anyone in BG.
    That's good to know. Now, I just need to know what variable is apparently non-functional at this point then. Thanks for the info, mlnevese. That info helps me to rule out an option I'd been trying.

Does anyone else have an insight that would be able to move this ball further down the field? Thanks!
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited April 2016
    @EnialusMeliamne Ok, so the problem is, you're importing from the wrong spot. Yea, I know, this used to work in 1.3.

Note on the screen before where you are in your last picture the "Import Game" button. Go there, it should import your game.

Here's the logic:

Once you go into "new game" you're saying "Start a brand new game with no previous information." This is going to load up BG2 Saves that allows you to re-import a character you've already created and played.

"Import Game" from the previous screen is the way you start a game by importing a game from SoD. When you go to That button, do you get your SoD or BG imports from your BG:EE Directory?

I'll see if I can test this, but that's where you should be going to do a game import. Now we just need to figure out where it's going to read games from.

*Edit*

Confirmed. If you go through Import Game you should see all of your BG and SOD Games listed in the Import List.
    edited April 2016
    I'm out being the designated driver for a few of my friends right now. I'll definitely check this when I get home. I'll let you know what results I end up with. I didn't see any available saves at all when trying to import though. The blank screen that I shared was what I saw every time. I'll follow your instruction though, as I may have missed a step. More to follow. Thanks!

Edit: now that I'm thinking back, I do remember a CTD happening sometime during an attempted import save load. I'll try to duplicate when I get home.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Thanks. Keep in mind that you're looking for "Campaign Select -> Import Game" not "Campaign Select -> New Game -> Import Game"

IF you're in character creation in any way, you're in the wrong place.
    edited April 2016
    Okay, I'm back home now and tried your first post instructions. The options I used are contained in the photos below. As you'll notice in the final photo, none of my saves show up.

Edit: The top photo belongs on the bottom of the photo stack, from a sequential standpoint. My apologies for it being at the top.

EDIT 2: I'm going to do a fresh install, to see if that cures the ills. I'll let you know the results.

Edit 3: The fresh install did nothing to display saves on the import function area. I am wondering if the import function is pointing to an invalid folder.
    Post edited by EnialusMeliamne on
  • lookalooka Member Posts: 4
    I'm having same problem. Finished bg1ee, bgSoD and now i can't import my saves to bg2ee. I'm doing exactly this route: "Campaign Select -> Import Game" and I'm getting empty screen without any saves to choose...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited April 2016
    Make sure your BG II is updated to version 2
    Are you on a Mac as well, or another platform? I'm curious to see if this is a platform specific issue, or more ubiquitous.
    I'm fully patched up @mlnevese. I tried it again just now...still having the same issue.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited April 2016
    This is how I have always done it. (v1.3)

Shadows of Amn - Single Player - New Game - Create - Import - Saved Game - Character_Name Final-Save - Next Button - Character_Name - DONE.

Unsure if the steps above have changed for v2.1 / v2.0, but give that a try and see if that works for you.
    In my case, I don't see any of the saves showing up, regardless of how I import (older way or 2.0 way). I can copy (BGI) and paste (BGII) a character over into the character folder and have that work, but (IIRC) items don't import that way, which is why I always try to import from saves.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited April 2016

In my case, I don't see any of the saves showing up, regardless of how I import (older way or 2.0 way). I can copy (BGI) and paste (BGII) a character over into the character folder and have that work, but (IIRC) items don't import that way, which is why I always try to import from saves.

In bg2 you never have items in the very first beginning. If you mean weapons, golden pantaloons or something like this it works exactly like with importing saves (they are around, not in the inventory)
    The difference is just with romances (with the new characters), because since 1.3 (i think) you can continue them from bgee if you import a save.
    Yes, this is true. I was referring to some of the imported items showing up later on (Helm of Balduran, Mail of the Dead, Ashideena, pantaloons, etc). Some of your gear shows up in spawn spots later on, if you import from a save. I don't think they show up if you import your character except from the saves import piece. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605

Yes, this is true. I was referring to some of the imported items showing up later on (Helm of Balduran, Mail of the Dead, Ashideena, pantaloons, etc). Some of your gear shows up in spawn spots later on, if you import from a save. I don't think they show up if you import your character except from the saves import piece. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

No, i can confirm it works anyway, i always found my golden pantaloons, my Helm of Balduran, and my longsword +2 (don't remember the name). Of course before saving the character i have these items in the inventory of my character.
    Translation: there is no tangible benefit of one import functionality being better than the other, correct? If that's the case (which I understood to be different, thank you for correcting me), then if one import function doesn't work, we can always just revert to the other.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Translation: there is no tangible benefit of one import functionality being better than the other, correct? If that's the case (which I understood to be different, thank you for correcting me), then if one import function doesn't work, we can always just revert to the other.

Right, the only thing importing a save gives you that importing a character doesn't is the continuation of the romances for the new EE characters.
    Thank you both very much!