Skip to content

How many lockpicking is required for that star sapphire in Candlekeep?

I read somewhere a halfling thief with 19 dexterity and all points spent in lockpicking can lockpick that star sapphire gem in candlekeep, which nets you 75 points in lockpick. Anyone know what the exact number of lockpicking skill you'd need to unlock that box?

Edit: nevermind, tried with many numbers and 60 lockpicking reliably unlocks that gem

Comments

• CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2016
    @deltago

Whoa didn't know that one! Its amazing how you can still find new things from these games even after all these years! :)

Then again I think I haven't ever played a thief with 18 charisma.
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    Use a mage/thief with 12 charisma and the 'Friends' spell :smile:

On the original subject - I've done it first time with 65. I think I made it on several attempts at 60, too.
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Since Traps aren't something that is an immediate concern and with the Knock Spell you can magic open the hardest locks, a skill of around 85 is ideal in my thinking. You want the skill high enough that you don't need to use Knock for everything. So, yeah, I dump everything into open locks at the start and actually often edit Imoen to put her points there. I just don't think there were many traps in Candlekeep to worry about or practice on. XD
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    its exactly 65.. BUT you can open it with 60 , it may need a few try's.
    other easy start gold is going into the Candlekeep tavern and talking directly 30 times to Firebeard (300g)
    and above Montaron/Xzar is a Hollow tree with a diamond (500g)

for BG Lockpick/Trap needs ,
    with 18 Start dex 90 in both is the perfect value, with the +1 dex Book both hit 95 and allow you to pick and disarm anything expect The Wisdom Book trap in Durlags Tower and the Bhaal Symbol Traps in the end Room with Sarevok
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The exact number is 57, I wrote it a while back in the "Did you know?" Thread.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    edited April 2016
    I never make a thief so I usually worry ill be facing the traps in bg1 and split it half and half to be safe. Even though I know imoen is good enough already for base traps. Lol I sucks at thieving.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    is it even possible to disarm the traps in the middle of the final room?
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    @Amberion The ones around the skull, No, I don't think you can