Skip to content

BG2EE slower after updates

marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
Hey all. I had updated bg2ee after that recent 2.0 update ( the next one from 1.3 that just dropped )

Dunno if its a bug / cant find any info so here it is: BG2 seems a lot slower/laggy when im trying to play. This wasn't the case with bg1ee after the update. The issues include some quick black screen after I try to close the menu, or use any of the options/click on any menu sum menus, its noticeably slower/weirder. ( like the black screen lasts for a second but combined with all the other laggyness its all adding up and im worried now.)
Same for moving items ( its laggy/weird ) and when I click certain areas the mouse sticks to that position until I unclick/this makes dragging items and clicking on things very annoying. Another example is when making a guy the abilities area is a lot slower/laggy trying to move points around.

Also having trouble if I try and make a new charname. Right after I click the gender itll freeze, but the kind of freeze that I can sit there for a few minutes until it works or click to get the this programs not working thing. Its really annoying and was wondering if these things were just changes for some reason or if they are fixable on my end?

If these are changes will they be addressed/looked at? Thanks for any info, trying to play bg2 but it feels too laggy/weird now and its not an issue unless that new patch isn't compatible for some reason im not seeing. I may try to revert the update if possible, but not on steam or GoG. ( assuming I can on beamdog, I just want to know if this is a prolem on my end/just how its going to play out before I revert back )

Comments

• marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    Oh noes I cant revert back can I? I bought from Beamdog directly, and from my search ( which didn't help ) I don't think its possible unless on steam? Is there a way? Im reinstalling it again to see whats up but now im literally sad I wont be able to at least enjoy it. :( helps please.....
  • little_ducklinglittle_duckling Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2016
    The mouse sticks? Try the "hardware ??? mouse" option in the menu. I'm guessing that will make the mouse responsive but the game still won't be. At least then you could manage inventory faster.

Try disabling the graphical options in the menu (outlines/smooth and etc...) and see if the game speeds up.

EDIT: and if possible consider seeing if there are updates available for your graphics driver.
    @little_duckling
    Sticks is the wrong word I guess. I mean like when its a scrolling menu/area ( like chat/thief abilities/new areas in inventory that require scrolling up/down to view the whole info ) if im clicking in those areas itll stay in that area if im trying to move things around and accidently click in that area it doesn't let me leave with the mouse till I let go the button/drop item. Before the mouse was free-ish even if the menu would still have scrolling the mouse could still move normally. Bleh hope that wordings a bit better :P sorry

Did the new patch require any graphics updates etc? Ill go check but im almost 100% sure everything's updated but since I tried to play and its been wonky that was the first thing I tried every way I could. I don't think the patch woulda been a whole lot different/harder on the driver, I don't have the expansion thing that came out and these problems don't seem to happen on bg1ee but I was thinking its cause bg2ee just needed to be polished a bit more? Not sure but this wasn't an issue before 2.0 unfortunately :(
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Two things can help:
    * Go to the website for your graphics chipset vendor (AMD, NVidia or Intel) and install the latest drivers for your chipset.
    * Go to Options / Graphics and enable "Alternate Renderer"
  • little_ducklinglittle_duckling Member Posts: 16
    marzbarz said:

Did the new patch require any graphics updates etc? Ill go check but im almost 100% sure everything's updated but since I tried to play and its been wonky that was the first thing I tried every way I could. I don't think the patch woulda been a whole lot different/harder on the driver

They've been doing some things differently from what I gather, and adding cool new graphical features like fog weather & smooth sprites. Maybe they say in the release notes? Updating from 2.0->2.1 resulted in a black landscape & 30fps->0.1fps for me on Linux w/ the stable Intel Mesa driver. I fixed it though. It is extremely difficult to write shader code that will work on all platforms, and often times there are bugs/deficiencies in the graphics drivers that will be fixed by the newest version.

Sorry I don't understand your mouse issue.
    A third reinstall seemed to help a lot more. Thanks for the ideas but it was not an issue with the laptop.
  • HAVOC_2011HAVOC_2011 Member Posts: 7
    I installed the latest updates for my graphics card and enable "Alternate Renderer". Big mistake for me. BGII and SoD would not launch. DirectX shader error. Uninstalled and re-installed both. I will not enable "Alternate Renderer" again. Questions: Is there a way to speed up the characters instead of them moving slow and choppy? If so, how? Both games appear glitch and hokey like a 1980's CD-Rom cartoon game playing over quality, crisp, and clean back grounds. Please help.
    After the unistalling and re-installing both BGII:EE and SoD, I cannot disable "Alternate Renderer". After launching the games, I receive "Could not compile DirectX shaders" error message. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    You might be able to fix the shader error you are getting by reinstalling DirectX 9.0c:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=34429

You can turn off the Alternate Renderer (DirectX) by editing baldur.lua and editing the line:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend',1)
    and change the 1 to a 0
    Thank you so much. By editing baldur.lua, I was able to correct the shader error. I also turned off the sprite option as well (thanks to another forum member) to eliminate the cartoon look. Any suggestions about improving the speed of the game instead of the choppy/glitchiness of the characters and other movement in the game e.g. torch flames and lava in SoD?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,872
    Could you open a CMD prompt and run dxdiag please, then attach the txt file produced from 'save all information'.
    Thanks