Skip to content

Why did they had against the crusader?(Spoilers)

I still do not get I know why the BG hero had against it but what did the others had? I mean you free a middle to high rank devil big deal Ferun had gods that wreaked havoc why would would devils be such a big deal?

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    Probably because of 1) the fact that Devils would love to make Faerun their personal playground AND 2) the fact the Blood War is an ongoing thing, meaning the demons would get on the action sooner rather than later.
  • adormituladormitul Member Posts: 63
    Sceptenar said:

Do you really need an explanation for why a literal invasion from Hell would be a bad thing?

Well considering they wanted to invade hell not the other way around yes. Also the devil they attacked was a medium to high rank at best.
    edited April 2016
    Hell, even willfully summoning devils or demons to Faerun has proved to be a bad idea in the past -- let alone opening portals for them. See the Fey'ri:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fey'ri
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Daemonfey
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sarya_Dlardrageth
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Fey'ri_invasion_of_Evereska

Now, granted the Fey'ri deal was basically summoning demons in order to breed with them. But, despite the differences in devils and demons in D&D, opening a portal for either is a bad freakin' idea!
    edited April 2016
    Okay I think there is a understimation there do not forget that the portal not only was open but the devil leader in that part of the first layer was killed. And she reached there with a fraction of her forces.
    Granted the Baalspawn killed the devil leader but she did reached him who knows a few hundred more crusader and she could have killed him out of the thousands she had yes there where thousands outnumbering the alliance forces but not enough against the better trained and better lead army of the alliance.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited April 2016
    You need to pay attention, there weren't thousands under the command of Caelar or the alliance, a few hundred at most. An the alliance was certainly not better lead than Caelar's forces. The alliance is lead by Corwin, a coward and a farmer, and the three bicker constantly. If the alliance had good leaders the Waterdeep force could have seized the castle the moment they showed up, as pointed out by General Stonehand (the Daggerford leader).

Regardless the fact that only a dozen or so crusaders made it in through the portal is almost certainly the reason why they weren't swarmed with devils to begin with, they didn't have to.

And you are forgetting that Belhifet wants the "invasion" to happen. He is the mastermind behind the opening of the portal to begin with. Caelar didn't come up with this idea herself, Hefernaan is the one who told her about the portal to hell in Dragonspear Castle and helped her figure out how to open it. Hefernaan works for Belhifet so the whole point was to use her to open the portal, and it's mentioned by Daros Dragonspear that Hefernaan was very upset to learn that Caelar's blood wasn't divine enough to open the portal, that's why they had to bring in the Bhaalspawn.

Since Belhifet was behind everything he would have been more than prepared to handle anything Caelar has, she is just a stupid pawn in the whole game anyway. Belhifet played her like a harp from hell and tricked her into opening the portal for him so he could invade, the same plot he had back in Icewind Dale. As Belhifet's servant Trix says, he was to ensure that Caelar made it to him (mostly) alone. Because Belhifet wants to break her himself, and he does just that if the Bhaalspawn doesn't interfere. In fact the whole reason why there wasn't a devil invasion in Icewind Dale or Dragonspear Castle is because of the players, something that Belhifet couldn't predict.

There is clearly no underestimating Caelar going on. She is an idiot who has been dancing to the devils tune for years. Everything happened the way Belhifet wanted it, except for the Bhaalspawn showing up at the last minute to save the day. This clearly shows how monumentally stupid the idea of opening the portal is, it's an invasion waiting to happen, and it would have if not for the player.

I can not say Belhifet did not predict it I mean Hefernaan must have told him that the Baalspawn will follow also he just did not expected to be outmatched which is strange thinking about it since even Mephi could not defeat beings with godlike powers and Belhifet is not even a archedevil hell you do not even need to be with divine powers to defeat him as he learned 100 years prior.
    And that is the thing the prime does have powerful mortals that can cut trough lesser devils with no issue and having some issues with devils his power. Hell have you seen the number of devils dead from the dozen of crusaders in hell and Caelar there where quite a number. Also the previous devil invasions where defeated quite fast the first dragonspear war was defeated before it even started the second one was stopped at Daggerford you know the city of about 500 inhabitants. Lets just say the devil armies are not terrible strong or huge for some reason for a plane that is infinite they really send quite a small number of devils in these invasions.
    To simplify the devil invasions are not that big of a threat and the devils suffer more causalities then they will give.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Well, @adormitul, I think you've stumbled upon the single worst thing about Siege of Dragonspear, that they made Belhifet unfathomably weak for Gorion's Ward to stand even a slim chance against him at their current level. Yes, non-divine adventurers defeated him in Icewind Dale, but they were much higher leveled, and it was orders of magnitude more difficult to do. Whatever conclusions you may draw about diabolic weakness based on that should be shelved, because the encounter's a result of bad writing, not a sane assessment of how strong a pit fiend is supposed to be.

not a sane assessment of how strong a pit fiend is supposed to be.

Actually, demons and devils can have varied strength/power on the Prime Material Plane based on whether they have a strong cult around them, whether they had time to gather magical artifacts, etc. Their strength is not always a constant. And they are certainly not as strong as they would be on their home plane.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Losing a vast chunk of power to a badly written plot is something you really can't blame Belhifet for, if he was as strong as he was in Icewind Dale he should have crushed the bhaalspawn, particularly since devils are stronger on their own plane, and non lawful evil people are weakened there.

Regardless your knowledge of realms history is lacking. The first devil invasion at Dragonspear Castle took the combined efforts of Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate, plus the famous archmage and chosen of the goddess of magic, Khelben Arunsun, to defeat. Not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination. The second Dragonspear was wasn't a devil invasion, it was a few devils leading a small army of humanoid monsters (orcs, goblins, hobgoblins and whatnot) on a rampage throughout the area. An while they were stopped AT Daggerford, that doesn't mean only Daggerford was involved in fighting them.

And yes, there weren't that many devils invading the previous times the portal was opened, but that was because the devils didn't control the portal back then and didn't know when it would open. Even devils need to prepare forces for an invasion, the previous times they didn't have enough time to mount a large invasion force. This time however a devil with a large desire for conquest (Belhifet) has been preparing for an invasion and plotting with his followers on the material plane to open the portal for him, this time it will be bad.

Even if that wasn't the case, a fricking portal to hell in your neighborhood is a big cause for concern. Farmers like to know that they won't be dragged into hell by devils. People are going to want to deal with a literal portal to hell regardless of how powerful the devil behind it is. No one wants a devil around, period.

Well, @adormitul, I think you've stumbled upon the single worst thing about Siege of Dragonspear, that they made Belhifet unfathomably weak for Gorion's Ward to stand even a slim chance against him at their current level. Yes, non-divine adventurers defeated him in Icewind Dale, but they were much higher leveled, and it was orders of magnitude more difficult to do. Whatever conclusions you may draw about diabolic weakness based on that should be shelved, because the encounter's a result of bad writing, not a sane assessment of how strong a pit fiend is supposed to be.

What is the level of the party in BG1 when they killed Belhifet? Anyway just to point out now he is dead like really dead since he was killed in hell and it was over 100 years after his defeat in Icewind Dale.
    Now I do not know if the Baalspawn was weakened in hell because well we do not know his alignment. Now a pit fiend is that strong? I mean did we not defeated a strong demon in Tales of Swordcoast?
    Now I wanna explain why this is not such a big of a deal a devil invasion from hell it seems that there is only so much powerful devils that can come from the portal my guess is the strongest that can come is a pit lord. This is a very low threat so very low but when a archedevil is leading the army now that is a threat because he can summon more devils more and more and he is very strong.
    edited April 2016
    Sceptenar said:

Losing a vast chunk of power to a badly written plot is something you really can't blame Belhifet for

Badly written? We must have experienced different plots.
    Sceptenar said:

Regardless your knowledge of realms history is lacking.

Don't be a jackass. I know of all of this...

He WAS USING a magical artifact in IWD though, which I already alluded to.

Actually, demons and devils can have varied strength/power on the Prime Material Plane based on whether they have a strong cult around them, whether they had time to gather magical artifacts, etc.

It's rather silly that you discount the crux of my argument in favor of your total insistence that Belhifet should have been more of a badass. Really classy of you.
  • RathenauRathenau Member Posts: 80
    @adormitul As I recall; a Pit Fiend had a challenge rating of 20, so any party under an average level of 20 is going to be in for a monstrous fight. Other devils vary from the lowly Imps and Lemures (CR 1 or 2, I think) to my personal favourite the Horned Devil (CR 15). As for Arch Devils; I'd say they are up to about 30 or over depending on the edition and source material you pick the statistics blocks from.

In my own play through I was level 10 when facing off against Belhifet but I suppose you can be lower or higher depending on how much quests you complete and whether you start with a new character or import an old one.

In the end, I'd say it's a matter of story telling and personal opinion on wherever or not the crusade had any chance of succeeding. I like to think it was perfectly fine to go along with the plan, after all; we did pull it off, in a way. The main problem with arbitrary levels in a role playing game is that it stops making any logical sense at all after a given point and is then used solely as a game mechanic instead of a narrative or descriptive device.

Looking into it from a lore perspective it does seem rather unwise to open up a portal without a decent way of closing it. Especially since any fiends from the lower planes have canonically had the desire to invade the prime material plane.
    Good point also it depends on the weapons you have they make a ton of difference for a example a ranger, fighter or a paladin even at level 20 can not do a thing to a pit lord if they do not have enhanced weapons that can pierce their flesh. Okay the paladin can but its only one hit if he misses he is doomed.
    But even a level 10 of the classes I said above can do a thing if they have the right weapons as they can pierce his flesh. I remember when Drizzt meet Ertuu the first time he was about level 16 and a Balor is was about level 20 but the weapons made the difference as they could damage him.
    We could add that even if the Baalspawn was level 13 at the meeting with Ertuu his weapons made the difference also the divine spells he got who might have gave him more power then a hero of that level without the divine spells as a child of Baal.
    I also remember when Drizzt fought a horned devil he could have died if not for the devil letting himself be killed that is because he was not especially vulnerable to Drizzt weapons and while they where of similar levels the horned devil had more strength and was in a position to use it.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    @Rathenau 2e doesn't use CR and Pit Fiends are noticeable weaker too. 3e Pit Fiends (I'm assuming that's where you got the CR numbers from) can have a max of 288 HP. 2e Pit Fiends can have a max of 104 hit points.

Also, it's not exactly clear that belhifet is actually a pit fiend. He's a powerful devil of some kind, but it's not clear what his exact nature is.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Not that powerful apparently to be bested by level 9s :naughty:
  • AstyamAstyam Member Posts: 2

Why can not cause damage ....?
    Could you tell me what weapons cause damage in it and what minimal spells are mandatory for qu I can reach him?

Obs .: Caelar is fighting beside me, I will be this problem?
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Astyam said:

Why can not cause damage ....?
    Could you tell me what weapons cause damage in it and what minimal spells are mandatory for qu I can reach him?

Obs .: Caelar is fighting beside me, I will be this problem?

You need +3 weapons to hurt him.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @rapsam2003 -

Sceptenar said:

Losing a vast chunk of power to a badly written plot is something you really can't blame Belhifet for

Badly written? We must have experienced different plots.
    Sceptenar said:

Regardless your knowledge of realms history is lacking.

Don't be a jackass. I know of all of this...

He WAS USING a magical artifact in IWD though, which I already alluded to.

Actually, demons and devils can have varied strength/power on the Prime Material Plane based on whether they have a strong cult around them, whether they had time to gather magical artifacts, etc.

It's rather silly that you discount the crux of my argument in favor of your total insistence that Belhifet should have been more of a badass. Really classy of you.
    Sceptenar was responding to adormitul, not you.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    adormitul said:

Sceptenar said:

Do you really need an explanation for why a literal invasion from Hell would be a bad thing?

Well considering they wanted to invade hell not the other way around yes. Also the devil they attacked was a medium to high rank at best.
    Look how well that invasion turned out. When we enter the portal, most of Caelar's surviving troops are way in over their heads and didn't actually think things through. It wouldn't have mattered even if the Coalition hadn't destroyed most of the Crusade, even if the full force had entered Avernus, it would have turned out much the same.

Plus, in hindsight, we find that Caelar knows this and was only planning on using the troops as a method of providing her an opportunity to reach her uncle and free him.
    edited July 2016
    scriver said:

Sceptenar was responding to adormitul, not you.

Does it really matter? /facepalm

Edit: Who bumped the thread from months ago? LOL, silly person.
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    As far as I'm concerned the true leader of the coalition of Waterdeep, Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate was the Bhaalspawn, hell it's thanks to us that we have the victory against Caelar and after that against Belhifet.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    The Bhaalspawn wasn't really a leader in any sense of the word, though, just a very effective special agent. More the tip of the spear than the hand holding the spear. The leaders were willing to give us over to Caelar if push came to shove, which indicates to me they think they can manage the Crusade without us rather than them being threatened that we will usurp their roles. We're an important pawn, but still a pawn.
    edited July 2016
    KhalDrogo said:

As far as I'm concerned the true leader of the coalition of Waterdeep, Daggerfall and Baldur's Gate was the Bhaalspawn, hell it's thanks to us that we have the victory against Caelar and after that against Belhifet.

Actually, the real leaders were Marshal Nederlok, General Haither Stonehand of Daggerford, and Torsin Cedric de Lancie of Waterdeep. The Bhaalspawn didn't organize the troop recruitment or lead the average soldier into battle or make command decisions. Really, the "special agent" idea that @Vbibbi suggests is a much better description.