Skip to content

saved games freeze computer 5 mins after loading

TarzTarz Member Posts: 8
I just updated my copies if BGEE and BGEE2 to the 2.0 edition. my problem is that whenever I load up any of my save games, within five minutes of loading, and being able to play normally, the screen freezes, a continuous blurrrrp sound comes from the speakers and I have to force shut down the computer by holding down the on/off button as nothing else works. The computer is a Toshiba sattelite pro with windows 10. There are no mods installed.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    From a CMD prompt can you run dxdiag and attach the "save all information" txt file here please.

Are you able to run the game in Windowed mode (Alt/Enter) with Task Manager (Ctrl\Shift\Esc) running alongside it so you can see the CPU, Memory and Disk utilisation while the game is running (total and for the game). Do any of these steadily climb, or max out from the start.

From the description it sounds like the system may be overheating under load. If that's the case, room temperature or blocked ventilation openings (dust buildup) on the laptop could be contributory factors.
    Thanks
  • TarzTarz Member Posts: 8
    the game has been running in windowed mode for around 15 minutes now. The cpu graph in task manager is hovering around 8 percent, the memory graph is hovering around 2.1 GB. I have been wandering around candlekeep just to see what happens. I notice there is a large square of water in the wall next to the candlekeep library entrance door behind Gorion that shouldn't be there which makes me wonder if I have a graphics problem. The computer vents look clean, and I have it sitting on a flat tabletop. Speccy states the cpu temperature is 45 degrees C, but I'll check it late this afternoon for dust when I have time
    The square is already reported, sounds like you are using an old save or don't have the latest game update (v2.1.63.2).

CPU figure sounds good, memory use will depend on how large the window is. If you have dual monitors you could run task manager on one and have the game maximised on the one you normally play on to see how much memory on the processes tab is allocated to the game rather than the entire system utilisation.

I'm beginning to think I've looked at too many graphics card drivers today. :) Your dxdiag file mentions version 20.19.15.4390 and date 4/8/2016 but I can only see version 4380 or beta 4404 both with earlier dates at
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/85212/Intel-Core-i5-5200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2-70-GHz-

& I checked the Toshiba sites for an OEM driver but couldn't see a suitable driver
    It only seems to play up in full screen mode, in windowed mode it appears to run well, I have just been playing for 30 minutes with a brand new character in windowed mode without any issues but as soon as I turned it back to the full screen mode, it all froze immediately. the version was updated last night to version v2.1.63.2
    OK, an instant reaction doesn't sound like overheating.

Can you try these steps e.g. for BGEE.
    - Close the game exe
    - Locate your documents -> Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition -> baldur.lua and baldur.ini files
    - Rename those two files, or create a backup folder and drop them into it.
    - Launch the game and stay on the menu screen
    - Does it launch in fullscreen without crashing. If so can you switch to Windowed mode and back
    - If that works but you normally play on a secondary monitor, can you drag the Windowed version onto the alternate monitor and switch back to fullscreen.
    - If that works, can you start a new game, save, load, etc.

If you end up with an unlaunchable game, delete the new lua file (& ini if created), and copy your original ones back.

There is also a setting in the LUA file to use the alternate renderer. Could you try that separetely please.
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','0') is the default, and uses OpenGL
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1') is the alternate renderer and uses DirectX

Thanks
    Well, I've done some testing as suggested. I cleaned dust out of the computer fan. there wasn't very much there, but while I had the machine apart I cleaned out the dust.

I put the Baldur.ini and Baldur.lua files on the desktop and then I loaded the game. It crashed on the menu screen. Checking the Documents folder after restarting the computer revealed that the game had created just the Baldur.lua file. So I returned the Baldur.ini file into the documents /Baldurs gate enhanced edition / folder and restarted the game. This time it asked for the username and password I used when ordering the game, then it crashed at the menu screen. Then I plugged the tv into the computer's vga port to use it as a secondary monitor. I left the screens set up to duplicate each other. the game crashed.

So I set the screens to the extend mode. I had baldurs gate running full screen on the computer screen, and task manager and speccy displayed on the tv. Interestingly the game did not crash. I spent half an hour playing with my favorite character from an old save, and another half an hour with a brand new character, with no crashes. when I gave you the figures for cpu temperature and usage and memory usage before it was from leaving speccy and task manager visible from behind the windowed version of Baldur's gate, and the figures still hold true. It all worked well until moment I went back to the two screens duplicating each other, then the game crashed.

I used the toshiba cooling diagnostic tool that with the computer to test the cooling system of the computer. The computer passed the test..

I set the tv as the only monitor. I have been playing baldur's gate on it in full screen mode for an hour now with no crashes.

Although I haven't really tested Baldur's gate using the direct x renderer yet, I suspect that I have either a hardware or software issue that is preventing baldurs gate from being played in fullscreen mode using just the laptop monitor as the primary display.

It's gone and left me with a crash dump file with the direct X renderer used on the primary display in fullscreen mode where do I send the file?
    You can zip and attach the crash dump here.

Are you using the same resolution screens?
    The screens resolutions are slightly different the computer is 1366 x 768 and the tv is 1360 x 768. Both settings are recommended by the computer
    Ok, duplicating with different resolutions might be problematic, but if you're crashing with the computer only that would be another issue.
    It does crash with the computer only.
    That was the original problem.
    Yep, sorry I meant crashing with cloned displays would be another issue :)