Skip to content

If you could design a companion, what would they be?

Comments

• Axl_KrowAxl_Krow Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2016
    Human Kensai Chaotic Good(leaning more towards neutral)

Appearance-wise, think like this:

18/64

-50% Magic Damage
    -15% Magic Resistance
    15% Crushing/Slashing/Piercing Resistance
    10% Fire/Ice Resistance

++++ Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninjato
    ++ Bastard Sword

I'm thinking along the lines of grew up as part of a noble family, left to pursue a "simple" life as a warrior who now lives his daily life as a gladiator. Harsh training has tempered his body to the elements, explaining the resistances. Has some decent principals, but does not respect the weak enough to aid them.

Human Female Swashbuckler Chaotic Neutral

This image sort of inspired the character:

+ Longsword
    +++ Two-Weapon style

As a child, taken from her village aboard a ship as a slave. A violent storm destroys the ship and she awakes floating on a plank as the sole survivor. She then dedicated her life to Umberlee as a pirate, attacking ships and raiding villages in her name. However, finding a significant other has brought her ashore and for many years, spent her time on land. After things go awry in her relationship*cough*someone dies*cough*, she is hesitant to return to sea, for she fears her lack of tributes have angered her patron deity.

I'll admit, they're both very cliche. But eh, cliche ain't bad.
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    Also agree adding a kit-thief (who doesn't betray you and die) would be good - Assassin (evil) or Swashbuckler (good), or possibly a Fi/Th
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    Juris said:

Also agree adding a kit-thief (who doesn't betray you and die) would be good - Assassin (evil) or Swashbuckler (good), or possibly a Fi/Th

I was just thinking this. I think what I would like is an evil assassin thief. Someone Tiax level crazy who just really likes killing for the sake of killing (maybe the prisoner that helps your escape?) or is fanatically devoted to Bhaal or your character). Not just his/her dialogue but give them a default script option that has him sneak attacking commoners in stealth mode. Bring them in for BG1 and have his quest lead to your group being investigated by a certain Flaming Fist Officer in BG2.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited April 2016
    Dwarf Stalker
    CG

** Axes
    ** Shortsword

Previous region: Citadel Adbar/Ice Mountains

Favored Enemy: Ogres

I like the concept of characters that break the original restrictionS. Half-Orc Paladins, Dwarven Rangers, goblin shamans. I like the unique options, which CHARNAME can't be.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Feral Halfling Barbarian duel wielding bastard swords.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    female blue (lightning) half-dragon with spear
    tiefling-kensai with weapon that can change its form (from sword to axe. etc)
    doppleganger-monk
    gnome-barbarian with halberd (lol)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Dwarf Stalker
    CG

** Axes
    ** Shortsword

Previous region: Citadel Adbar/Ice Mountains

Favored Enemy: Ogres

I like the concept of characters that break the original restrictionS. Half-Orc Paladins, Dwarven Rangers, goblin shamans. I like the unique options, which CHARNAME can't be.

I'd also settle for a dwarf archer. Starts with * in axes and the rest in crossbows.

Evil gets a heavily armored dwarven berserker.
    Good gets a lightly armored dwarven crossbowman...err...crossbowdwarf.

Twice the dwarf with opposite roles.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Female Gnome Jester (Which isn't breaking the rules since Gnomes can be Jesters in 2e)
    CN

8 Str
    16 Dex
    12 Con
    19 Int
    7 Wis
    15 Cha

Pips:
    Dagger*
    Shortbow*

Super cheerful character that hides her dark past behind a smile. We need a female Gnome NPC so that we can romance a shorty character (she'd be pansexual) and she could be Alora's replacement in BG2.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    An enchanted potato that can talk to you.
  • VirelaiVirelai Member Posts: 19
    A blind bard (not sure which kit). Give him/her a unique bonus to make up for the perma-blind effect.

I second the resounding support for a dwarven defender NPC.

An elven kensai specializing in long swords would be nice, as there are already so many good long swords in the game and the elven sword bonus is too good to pass up.

A certain spectator beholder
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    A certain Tiefling thief that uses claws springs to mind...

But yeah, you'd need to look at the gaps the current companions have.

There is no lack of mages in all games.
    There are quite a few fighter types, and with Dorn there is a good evil set as well. It really does depend on your style though whether you can use them.
    Clerics are a bit hit and miss, but there are enough hits that you can manage (though BG1 does take a while before you find your first cleric, so Jaheira has to fill in).
    Imoen is quite the thief in BG1, but does not work in SoD and is late in BG2 (and dual classed by then). Coran is also a good good aligned thief.
    Safana is not quite such a star, and Montaron somehow never worked for me. I have never tried dualling Shar Teel, but I think I will this time around (started a new playthrough to see how a bard works)

What we really miss, however, is bards. There are few options for that in the game, and they are fun to play. SoD gives us a nice skald, BG2 limits you to Haer'Dalis, and BG1 has two rather underwhelming ones.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Zilber said:

What we really miss, however, is bards. There are few options for that in the game, and they are fun to play. SoD gives us a nice skald, BG2 limits you to Haer'Dalis, and BG1 has two rather underwhelming ones.

In all honesty, Haer'Dalis was the only bard I ever liked...

The way Bards are implemented in 2E always seemed awkward to me compared to how they worked in later D&D editions.

Zilber said:

The way Bards are implemented in 2E always seemed awkward to me compared to how they worked in later D&D editions.

It is true that bards are odd in 2nd, but even then, they can be quite useful and flavourful. The blade loses the lore, half the pickpocket, and all bard song progression. It is a rather de-barded bard.

Bards in 5th are very well done, I reccomend the whole edition, but the bards are especially interesting.
    gangler said:

Zilber said:

Zilber said:

It is true that bards are odd in 2nd, but even then, they can be quite useful and flavourful. The blade loses the lore, half the pickpocket, and all bard song progression. It is a rather de-barded bard.

Bards in 5th are very well done, I reccomend the whole edition, but the bards are especially interesting.
    A couple points there aren't quite right.

The blade has half the normal lore. Notably, nothing in the game requires more than 100 lore to identify. A vanilla bard can pretty easily get up to 100 lore before they're even done BG1. A blade will only start BG2 with 50ish lore, but they'll still make it to 100 sure enough.

While in the original release of BG1 the Blade Description said their bard song did not improve with levels, this was false. They had the same bard song as a vanilla bard, which incidentally was bugged and did nothing at any level anyway. The Blade, like any other bard, could eventually get the HLA "Enhanced Bard Song".

In the enhanced editions the bard song has been fixed, and the line about the blades song not improving with levels has been removed from their description. The Blade's song improves morale, removes fear, and provides protection from fear until they get the "Enhanced Bard Song" HLA.

I believe the rogue reballancing kit still works based on that old description though. They gave the vanilla bard a song that naturally improves with levels, they gave the blade a song that does not, and they barred the blade from several song improving HLA's . So the difference between a blade and a vanilla bard is more pronounced if you use that mod.
    Ah, yes, that did confuse me. The "loses the lore" bit was too harsh, it keeps half the lore, but that makes it just a bit better than mages and clerics (well, 66%) instead of more than 3 times as good at it.

We are veering off course though, I will leave the discussion to newly crafted companions.
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2016
    A dog. This games definitivly lack a dog companion.

(Not even kidding, an animal companion could be very great, and it's totaly imaginable to give this kind of companion a story-rich developpement)
    KcoQuidam said:

(Not even kidding, an animal companion could be very great, and it's totaly imaginable to give this kind of companion a story-rich developpement)

That would be interesting indeed, like Wilson, but available sooner. If you'd make it one of the more intelligent dogs (like a puppy moon dog that needs to prove him/herself to gain back all the stats and abilities), it could have a reason to bite that tanar'ri's ankles.
  • mysterymeepmysterymeep Member Posts: 33
    Honestly if I actually got to design one, I'm not sure what I'd do about her class yet. I just know i'd make her a good-aligned lesbian. If I get to design, why not dream a little, right?
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2016
    gangler said:

KcoQuidam said:

Would the dog have a class? Or would it just have a few unique dog abilities?
    A dog class could be cool but I dunno if it's easy to do(g) with the engine. I like imagine a kind of thief - fighter class. Cause move silently / detect trap - illusion / pickpocket and even disarm trap can sound cool and funny with a dog character, but using scroll or set trap look more hard to justify.

Full neutral and with a side quest during which the dog drag charname from place to place but can't talk just point thing and detail, on a quest for searching something (charname can't know what at first, it's their owner the dog is searching ? A treasure ?) like an investigation dialogue but not talking quest !
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited April 2016
    Well, the other animal in BG is a fighter, with something resembling a Kensai kit. The spirit animal in MotB is a fighter. If you where going for a more magical type of dog (e.g. celestial), you could make them a paladin perhaps (Blackguard for a Hellhound). You can assign unique abilities easily enough in the engine, such as "summon pack" or Favoured Enemy: Chew Toy etc.

Edit: Or how about a Telthor spirit wolf with the Shaman class?
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    GIVE ME THE SPECTATOR TO BRO AROUND WITH OR GIVE ME DEATH

Seriously, Charname striking up an unlikely friendship with a random Beholder was one of the best parts of the BG games.
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    If the sky's the limit, I'd like to see an Athasian half-elf, Preserver/Psion, captured by the Athasian halflings from the planar sphere, who can begin the Avangion transformation process in ToB.

But that's just my love of Dark Sun showing :)
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    edited April 2016
    I think there's a need for a good aligned cleric. Yeslick is a multi and Branwen is both neutral and annoying.

This would be my addition.

Also, on a related note, I'd love an update that changes "Priest" to "Priestess" and "Sorcerer" to "Sorceress" for female chars.
    Post edited by Mush_Mush on
    Objulen said:

If the sky's the limit, I'd like to see an Athasian half-elf, Preserver/Psion, captured by the Athasian halflings from the planar sphere, who can begin the Avangion transformation process in ToB.

But that's just my love of Dark Sun showing :)

I LOVE YOU.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Mush_Mush said:

I think there's a need for a good aligned cleric. Yeslick is a multi and Branwen is both neutral and annoying.

This would be my addition.

Also, on a related note, I'd love an update that changes "Priest" to "Priestess" and "Sorcerer" to "Sorceress" for female chars.

Lovely character portrait in this one.

Great idea about females being called priestesses etc.
    Some trivia regarding Forgotten Realms. I spoke with someone who worked for TSR recently. And it seems they had a rule about names. No real world names for any characters in the Forgotten Realms. Had to do with making the world seem even more different from ours, or something like that.

Whoever came up with Edwin broke that rule, though.
    Rawgrim said:

Some trivia regarding Forgotten Realms. I spoke with someone who worked for TSR recently. And it seems they had a rule about names. No real world names for any characters in the Forgotten Realms. Had to do with making the world seem even more different from ours, or something like that.

Edwin isn't a very common name, really. It could be traced to the Saxons, but it's still not common. Also, TSR isn't Bioware. lol

Rawgrim said:

Edwin isn't a very common name, really. It could be traced to the Saxons, but it's still not common. Also, TSR isn't Bioware. lol
    Yeah I know. But Bioware pretty much "rented" the gameworld when they made BG. So they had to follow the lore very strictly.

Which they did fantastically.
    Rawgrim said:

Yeah I know. But Bioware pretty much "rented" the gameworld when they made BG. So they had to follow the lore very strictly.

Which they did fantastically.

True and true. :)

• VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Race: Human
    Class: Bard
    Kit: Jester
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Descriptions: Hybrid of Xzar And Coran
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    Rawgrim said:

There was a line regarding character generation in one of the older addition manuals that stated "there are no Bobs in Dungeons and Dragons" I dont remember if it was a player's handbook or DM guide but we always thought that it was funny. Someone at one point actually did make a character named bob and the first game was pretty much us not progressing the storyline while sitting in the tavern making fun of his name.