Skip to content

If you could design a companion, what would they be?

124»

Comments

• rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Sirdent said:

There was a line regarding character generation in one of the older addition manuals that stated "there are no Bobs in Dungeons and Dragons" I dont remember if it was a player's handbook or DM guide but we always thought that it was funny. Someone at one point actually did make a character named bob and the first game was pretty much us not progressing the storyline while sitting in the tavern making fun of his name.

Bahahaha. That's great. :D
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    How about revising the protagonists' familiars, to give them interjections, banters, reactions, and so on?
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    edited April 2016
    I agree we need more dwarves, and we need barbarians. Unfortunately the Complete Barbarian's handbook bars that class to anyone but humans. Too bad. I'll put the Barbarian thing first, I would put a Moonshae isle northmen as a barbarian.

Here's the deal.

Name: Acichorios (it's a Gaulish name, I use Gaulish names a lot in my campaign because they do sound cool and no one ever thinks of using them)
    STR: 18/40
    DEX: 12
    CON: 15
    INT: 9
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 9

Race: human
    Alignement: Neutral Evil

Background: a northman born in the Moonshae archipelago, his family suffered from the devastation caused by Kazgoroth and he moved to the continent at an early age. Now he is a sellsword, specialized in extortion and mugging. He's become notorious in Baldur's Gate and was hired by the Iron Throne (the legitimate one, not Sarevok's band). He joins the player after his job is messed up by Sarevok, as that pisses him off, hopefully there is plenty of money to be made fighting the crusade.

PS: and he needs a two-handed axe the icewind dale way
  • GozetaGozeta Member Posts: 105
    Race: Half Aasimar
    Class: Paladin
    Alignment: Chatoic Good
    Name: Dregra Melsekmer
    Character would have a tendency to try and obliterate any evil that comes across her path.
    edited April 2016
    Gozeta said:

Race: Half Aasimar
    Class: Paladin
    Alignment: Chatoic Good
    Name: Dregra Melsekmer
    Character would have a tendency to try and obliterate any evil that comes across her path.

Minor correction. Aasimar are those who have celestial blood in their bloodline AND manifest it with certain celestial-like features and abilities. The percentage of celestial blood doesn't matter. In other words, "Half Aasimar" isn't a thing. :)
  • Dave_MalloneeDave_Mallonee Member Posts: 4
    I have a couple ideas that I toy with from time to time:

A Doomguide of Kelemvor; a lawful neutral cleric of the god of repose and judge of the damned. They hunt undead in tabletop D&D and I would love to have one in my party to nuke Bodhi in BG2.

A Silver Dragon, recently widowed, who has been cursed by Irenicus to remain in the mortal form she assumed when leaving the Underdark. Uncertain about her future and her ability to protect her unborn children she joins with you to hunt down Irenicus and free herself from the curse...

A barbarian gladiator freed from the fighting pits by the Child of Bhaal. Unfulfilled running the tavern in which he was once imprisoned he joins his liberator in traveling the Sword Coast, giving particular vigor to smiting any slave traders he comes across. Eventually his destiny draws him back to the frozen north from which he was exiled and the Clan of the Blue Bear that he may have been born to lead...
    edited May 2016

A barbarian gladiator freed from the fighting pits by the Child of Bhaal. Unfulfilled running the tavern in which he was once imprisoned he joins his liberator in traveling the Sword Coast, giving particular vigor to smiting any slave traders he comes across. Eventually his destiny draws him back to the frozen north from which he was exiled and the Clan of the Blue Bear that he may have been born to lead...

This would be a very interesting story, I think. Plus, we already have the tie-in for BG2. :smile:
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    *Lists all of my OCs* >.>

A Doomguide of Kelemvor; a lawful neutral cleric of the god of repose and judge of the damned. They hunt undead in tabletop D&D and I would love to have one in my party to nuke Bodhi in BG2.

I believe, as of Baldur's Gate timeline, that Kelemvor didn't raise to godhood yet. Cyric assumes the role (among other things).
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Matthieu said:

I believe, as of Baldur's Gate timeline, that Kelemvor didn't raise to godhood yet. Cyric assumes the role (among other things).
    IIRC Cyric references Kelemvor in ToB as being a current deity. Something about if he was to kill you his rivals among the gods would intervene "Mystra or Kelemvor perhaps"
    Mush_Mush said:

IIRC Cyric references Kelemvor in ToB as being a current deity. Something about if he was to kill you his rivals among the gods would intervene "Mystra or Kelemvor perhaps"

Yeah, Kelemvor took the role of god of the dead from Cyric, after Myrkul was killed in the godswar.

• SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45

This would be a very interesting story, I think. Plus, we already have the tie-in for BG2. :smile:
    It could also be part of a tie in to Black Pits. Maybe someone at the bar when you get transported in with. You dont get him in your party at first but maybe have him ask if you can purchase something for you at a merchant. Give him good stats too so you dont feel like you are wasting precious gold on him.
  • cndrowcndrow Member Posts: 8
    I've been wanting a Good-aligned male gay romance for a long time. Dorn is one of my favourite of the entire companion list, but there's just no kissing him with my CG Ranger dude.

And wah-hey, lookit there, Glint is now a thing, so convenient!

But yeah, that'd be my wish!
    edited May 2016

Mush_Mush said:

Yeah, Kelemvor took the role of god of the dead from Cyric, after Myrkul was killed in the godswar.

I stand corrected about the Throne of Bhaal chronology, but this statement above is incorrect. Following the death of Baine, Bhaal and Myrkul Cyric took their portfolios (and Minuit from the same adventuring band became the new Mystra). Cyric would only lose the portfolio of Myrkul much later, after becoming mad. He would also lose Baine after the later returned from the dead.

It's clear though, after the Time of Troubles, that Cyric is the most powerful god of the Realms, power he failed to capitalize on.

EDIT: for my culture I checked, Kelemvor ascended to goodhood in 1368, Throne of Bhaal takes place in 1369. Baldur's Gate starts in 1368, that means the events that lead to Cyric losing Myrkul's powers to Kelemvor happen during the course of the first game.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Probably Betty from Rat Queens

Betty's the little one.

Race: Gnome for game purposes"shes something else in the comic but it's basically a Gnome as far as I can tell."
    Class: thief or fighter/thief
    Alignment: Chatoic neutral
    Name: Betty
    Character: Betty loves candy, psychedelic mushrooms and lots of sex.

Come to think of it all the Rat Queens would make great NPCs.

A dwarf that cut off her beard to say screw you to tradition, she is now also dating a Orc

A sexy Elven sorceress who you later find out is actually a tiefling, also shes a ex goth who has no problems with using dark magic. She takes no crap from anybody and has a great relationship with her mom"

A human shaman lady who kinda ran away from her village because she wanted to see the world or something. Also just kind of left her husband there. She finds out later the thing that she's been worshiping is basically cthulhu.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    That's a great gang @smilingsword.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited May 2016
    @Skatan yeah they are great, you should read the comics. It's only been out for about a year and they are doing so well they have already been talking about a animated adaptation.

Kurtis J. Wiebe is a freaking genius. He called it his "love letter to my years of D&D", which I think is pretty damn cool XD
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @SmilingSword I haven't read past #10, but I really need to catch up because up to that point Rat Queens was probably my favourite comic series of the year by leaps and bounds ahead of the pack.