Skip to content

Hell trials in BG2EE

13»

Comments

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Ceasing to revere nature sounds logical, and that's also what that blighter PrC is about (totally forgot about that one).

Change to a prohibited alignment is more difficult, since Complete Divine is 3rd Ed where druids can already be any neutral, and even then you'd need a trigger/reason for that alignment change. Afaik, the Hell Trials only shift you on the Good-Evil scale, so you wouldn't be able to become Lawful Evil for example...

...Unless you're like me and change the BG(EE) druid's alignment restrictions from the start... :-p
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Look further down in my post, I found the 2nd Ed ruling on how a Druid falls.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    So if a Druid is in your party and you do the evil option in the Trademeet Druid grove quest, you should end up with a fallen Druid.
    @Delvarian both Jaheira and Cernd object I believe. Since fallen druids aren't implemented the PC also doesn't become one. But maybe they should, yes.

(I'm now trying to think of a scenario where that evil path would be an acceptable option...)
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    @Sjerrie Do they just object, or do they leave the party? In all honesty that should be a deal breaker for a druid.
    Sorry, I can't tell you that from memory as I have never played a PC druid myself, and the only time I went the evil path I didn't have a druid in the party. I am also not sure if a druid PC can still claim the grove as stronghold then...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I stand corrected. Still, the game doesn't really have any means of shifting your alignment other than the hell trials. The closest thing it has other than that is reputation, but that's not necessarily the best barometer for determining why you take certain actions (and therefore the alignment you are playing). So strictly in terms of the game I don't see how you'd go about implementing it. At least not without a lot more dialogue options for any quest that affects reputation/alignment.
    edited February 2014
    Sjerrie said:

@Delvarian both Jaheira and Cernd object I believe. Since fallen druids aren't implemented the PC also doesn't become one. But maybe they should, yes.

(I'm now trying to think of a scenario where that evil path would be an acceptable option...)

You can't take the evil path with a druid charname because its only available to evil charnames.

I'm pretty certain Cernd will actually fight you for doing it. Jaheira I think just leaves.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I did the evil option with my evil char name, because it was expedient, and I didn't have a druid in my party to fight Faldorn one-on-one. Cernd (who was standing around outside) turns hostile and i had to kill him when I was leaving. I didn't have Jaheira, since she was killed by Zhents in BG1, so cannot comment.
    elminster said:

You can't take the evil path with a druid charname because its only available to evil charnames.

Is it purely the alignment that makes it possible/impossible, or does the lord that gives the evil option (a halfling I believe) simply not show up if Charname's a druid?
    This was actually discussed recently elsewhere. I haven't gotten around to testing it myself but as I understand it its an alignment thing.
    edited February 2014
    I couldn't help myself and checked out the dialog files. There's no prereqs in this Lord Khellon's dialog tree for either class or alignment, so I'm guessing he simply doesn't show up if Charname is not evil.

This does mean that an evil druid Charname could potentially take the evil path. Would need a damn good reason roleplay-wise though.

Edit: since my next playthrough will be a druid I'll try it out. Could be a while though. ;)
    edited February 2014
    Yea as I understand it he doesn't show up if you aren't evil.

As for this thread the OP's question has been answered and (partly due to my posts) we've gone a bit off topic here. So it probably could be closed at this point.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Delvarian said:

It would seem to me that it would be harder to lose the true neutral alignment than say losing a good alignment. Unless you continue doing obviously good or evil things constantly I don't see a way to lose it.
    If you look at Jaheira and Faldorn you see just what I mean, they are completely different, yet both are the same alignment, and neither has lost that alignment despite Jahiera being obviously good, while Faldorn is obviously evil.

Faldorn isn't obviously evil at all in BG1. In fact, I'd argue she's considerably more "good" than the other Shadow Druids.

Of course, she was evil in BG2 - but BG2 Faldorn, like several of the returning BG1 characters, resembles the original in name only.

Well, the Shadow Druids are...you know, evil. Basically a "secret" organization within the Druids themselves, that other druids are against.

Most Druids (and Druidic Circles, for that matter) are not evil - and they are mostly not good. Instead, they uphold the balance, seeing both (well, everything except Undeath) as an essential part of the Balance.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @WebShaman It's not termed a "Fallen" Druid, though. The Earthmother, the deity of Druids on Gwyneth, was killed at one point by the Avatar of Bhaal, and the Druids there lost their powers, and instead became cleric of Chauntea, whose specialty priests *are* druids. (Gwyneth is part of the Moonshae Isles, so this storyline was out of the "Moonshae" series.
    Druids who "fall" (stray from alignment, etc) do not loose all spellcasting power - only that from their Major Sphere and their Druidic powers. So I guess one could call them Clerics.

Since they can Atone, however, I would call them fallen.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    I have got a question about Test of Wrath, GOOD +1WIS,+1CHA, EVIL +2STR. In Vanilla you got also +1 to main stat, only via a very specific route of conversation. Why it isn't implemented in BG2:EE ?? It was a nice addition and it didn't break the balance.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    elminster said:

Sjerrie said:

I'm pretty certain Cernd will actually fight you for doing it. Jaheira I think just leaves.
    I don't know about Jaheira. Cernd does indeed turn hostile along with every druid in the grove.

If you don't have Cernd in your party, he will still be outside and neutral - but he won't speak to you! :wink:
  • naggertnaggert Member Posts: 65
    Sikorsky said:

I have got a question about Test of Wrath, GOOD +1WIS,+1CHA, EVIL +2STR. In Vanilla you got also +1 to main stat, only via a very specific route of conversation. Why it isn't implemented in BG2:EE ?? It was a nice addition and it didn't break the balance.

You just dug up a two year old thread, to ask a question that was answered in the first 5 replys... Back in 2013... Good job.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    Being someone who usually plays Neutral Evil, I've always disliked the Hell trials and their railroaded result. They are one of the few gripes I have about BG 2, what I consider to be the best cRPG I've ever played. Hell Trials really weren't an issue, though, until TOB came out. Prior to EE I used Shadowkeeper to change the alignment to what I felt better reflected my choices before continuing on to TOB. Now I use the Enhanced Edition Editor.