Skip to content

Dancing Lights and Darkness 15' Radius

In a not-so-recent post by @wraith_sarevok, which I happened to read quite recently, he mentioned the existence of two new mage spells in the game files: Dancing Lights (Level 1) and Darkness 15' Radius (Level 2). He mentioned they were fully functional and even had scrolls and many of us, myself included, witnessed them in action.

While I assume that they were designed with enemies using them in mind, I love it when my spell caster just is this storehouse of arcane knowledge, that, with 19+ Int, memorizes every spell there is and so I’d fancy using them on one player character at least, regardless of their usefulness or lack thereof (Darkness seems quite strong, Dancing Lights less so).

Now I have a couple of questions, regarding the spells, that I’d be really, really glad if anyone can answer them. Here they are:

1. Did anyone find one of these scrolls? As in, are they actually in the game or just in the game files?
2. If not, does anyone have the console commands for cheating them in? (I’d prefer to obtain them otherwise, but what can you do…)
3. Has a sorcerer any way of learning them?
4. As the spells are supposed to function in SoD, will they still do so from Shadow of Amn onward? What about straight up BG: EE before the new expansion?
5. Are there other spells that I’m likely to be unaware of? Hidden ones, later additions? (I know of Faerie Fire already, but since it’s just a priest spell, I don’t care too much)

Again, any contribution is much appreciated. :smile: I would love to do some testing myself, but I’m afraid that 2.0 and its successor broke BG II for me, so I can’t satisfy my curiosity on that front myself. :sweat_smile:

Comments

• justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Here's the post-section I referred to:

Not for the list, but I found a few items in the editor that I thought were interesting. If anyone happens to run across them in the game, please post their location!

There are 3 new spell scrolls with brand new fully-functioning spells:

Dancing Lights - lvl 1 Wizard (Alteration)
    Creates 1-4 glowing spheres of light that randomly move around. Lasts 2 rounds/level.
    Darkness 15' Radius - lvl 2 Wizard (Alteration)
    All enemies in the AoE cloud are hit with the effects of the Blind spell. No save. Lasts 1 turn. Enemies leaving the AoE have their vision restored after 1 round.
    Faerie Fire - lvl 1 Cleric (Alteration)
    All enemies in the AoE take a -2 penalty to AC. No save. Effect lasts 4 rounds/level.

Note that the first two spells can be scribed into your Mage/Bard spellbook and they work perfectly. The third is Cleric-only and must be used from a scroll.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I think the drow in SoD use them. I distinctly recall getting screwed over hard by blindness in that fight.

If it's an enemy exclusive ability then making them a little strong is fine.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    There is an enemy using the darkness spell in the Cyric temple area.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Those abilities were added for the drow encounter. Since they are exact copies of existing PnP spells, initially they were made available to player characters as well (hence the scrolls), but later in development cycle it was decided to keep them enemy-only, Darkness' balance issue being a prime reason.