Skip to content

Why no high level spells for F/M/T?

Playing a F/M/T solo game. I have reached 20th wizard level and still I cant get high level spells like improved alacrity. I can get other HLA of the mage, like additional 6th to 8th level spells, but no dragons breath or improved alacrity. Is this an oversight, a bug or it works as intended?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Are you sure you're at level 20 as a Mage? Did you remove the XP cap?
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Yes, completely sure I am a 20th level mage. I removed the cap
    mf2112 said:

helmo1977 said:

Playing a F/M/T solo game. I have reached 20th wizard level and still I cant get high level spells like improved alacrity. I can get other HLA of the mage, like additional 6th to 8th level spells, but no dragons breath or improved alacrity. Is this an oversight, a bug or it works as intended?

I think you might have to install one of the mods that adds those options to the HLA table. If I recall the problem is there can only be 24 emtries in the table so you can't have all the HLAs from all three classes. I know it is in the BG2 tweak pack, but you can check for triple class HLA mod if you just want that.
    Thank you. How is that after so many patches Beamdog hasnt fix this yet?

joluv said:

Are you sure you're at level 20 as a Mage? Did you remove the XP cap?

By the way, you dont have to be 20th level to get HLAs. You just need to have 3000000 xp. Of course, in the case of a F/M/T you wont be able to cast improved alacrity until you get 9th level spells at 18th level.

Some HLAs that are useless in tob are extremely useful in soa, when you get them if you make a solo run.

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    You aren't allowed to choose spell HLAs until you can cast level 9 spells, though.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    helmo1977 said:

mf2112 said:

helmo1977 said:

I think you might have to install one of the mods that adds those options to the HLA table. If I recall the problem is there can only be 24 emtries in the table so you can't have all the HLAs from all three classes. I know it is in the BG2 tweak pack, but you can check for triple class HLA mod if you just want that.
    Thank you. How is that after so many patches Beamdog hasnt fix this yet?

It is working as intended. Per game rules FMT do not get HLA spells.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @helmo1977: Fighter/Mage/Thieves don't have level 9 mage HLAs because they're not supposed to get level 9 mage spell slots. It doesn't really make sense to expect Beamdog to correct a "bug" that only exists when you remove the XP cap--that is, when you modify the game beyond its original state. It's like tweaking an important script and then blaming Beamdog when the script doesn't run properly.

For the record, the XP cap and a Fighter/Mage/Thief's HLAs are determined by two different .2da tables in the game files: XPCAP.2da and LUFMT.2da, respectively. If you can't get a working solution from the tweak pack as @mf2112 suggested, I can probably just post an edited copy of LUFMT that you can paste in your "override" folder. That would allow you to add mage HLAs on your next level up.

Or, you could use EEKeeper to add in the HLAs manually.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Mages need 3 million xp to reach 18th lvl, 9th lvl spell level. F/m/ts need 9 million xp to do so. Original game xp limit is 8 mil. So...
    Ok, I hadnt thought about that, but I guess it shouldnt be too difficult to add a few extra spaces. After all uncapping mods are popular.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    helmo1977 said:

Ok, I hadnt thought about that, but I guess it shouldnt be too difficult to add a few extra spaces. After all uncapping mods are popular.

There is already a mod for it in bg2ee mod section... i use it all the time and it works great