Skip to content

[SPOILER] Quest: Dwarves of Dumathoin

13»

Comments

• KrotosKrotos Member Posts: 156
    @GrimLefourbe I'm playing on Core Rules. Isn't it weird that it's a drop chance for such an item? It should be in a random mob, but always a drop imo.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I'm only making a wild guess but it's possible it's always a drop but the monster that drops it is only included in the fight on higher difficulties (since there are more ennemies). I might test that theory later on.
  • RuscoeRuscoe Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2016
    Can someone help me with the secret room? the when where you have to do the pillars in the right order. I think I have a bug. I did them in all possible combinations but the damn thing is still locked. Any help anyone?

One is dropped by the monsters in this room.

The other is in a container in the laboratory.

how did you get to the secret room? (if you could please walk me through the pillar bit because it is not working for me) thanks!
    Ruscoe said:

how did you get to the secret room? (if you could please walk me through the pillar bit because it is not working for me) thanks!
    Click the snow pillar, then the lightning pillar, then the fire and finally the earth pillar. It'll open the doors. If you're unsure which one is which:
    Counting from left to right:
    1. Lightning
    2. Earth
    3. Snow/Ice/Water
    4. Fire
    edited April 2016
    Krotos said:

Ruscoe said:

Click the snow pillar, then the lightning pillar, then the fire and finally the earth pillar. It'll open the doors. If you're unsure which one is which:
    1. Lightning
    2. Earth
    3. Snow/Ice/Water
    4. Fire
    it worked cheers!
    Post edited by Ruscoe on
    Ruscoe said:

Krotos said:

Ruscoe said:

1. Lightning
    2. Earth
    3. Snow/Ice/Water
    4. Fire
    yup I tried this but still no joy. :( what do you reckon I should do? I'm stuck
    Did clicking the pillars open the room right behind the gate the mechanism opens? That's what they're for.

Are you certain you the combo correctly?

Using numbers above the combo is:
    3 1 4 2

If it really doesn't work, @Illydth might be able to help as the combination might be random for everyone. (guessing)

Otherwise just file a bug report to BD.
    Krotos said:

Ruscoe said:

1. Lightning
    2. Earth
    3. Snow/Ice/Water
    4. Fire
    hey it worked thank you so much!
    Confirming my theory, the monster that drops the potion seems to be an Imbued Wight that only spawns on Hard and Insane difficulties.

See for yourself with the attached save. I'll make a bug report if I have time a few hours from now, if someone else wants to do it first, feel free.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    I have destroyed his plat-whatever it's called but he just keeps re-spawning.
    What's wrong?!
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    edited April 2016
    OK. Never mind my last post ...

I destroyed his phylactery. But then he will not respawn so I can kill him the final time?
    He just appears, casts his spells and then dis-appears again.
    Is this a bug?
  • grotteauxgrotteaux Member Posts: 2
    Kirow said:

Is it just me, or has anyone else not been able to finish this quest? I'm not sure how to open that door, or what sliding the throne did?

I killed the lich, got his pletcharchy thingy, dropped it on the fire floor, and it disappears with a message saying the magic probably drew the lich back to the pletcharchy place, and the lich appears and I kill him again, but he lich keeps appearing telling me to give his soul back and my journal says I have to destroy his soul even though I already did. Help! (Bug?)
  • droogishdroogish Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2016
    grotteaux said:

Kirow said:

Is it just me, or has anyone else not been able to finish this quest? I'm not sure how to open that door, or what sliding the throne did?

I killed the lich, got his pletcharchy thingy, dropped it on the fire floor, and it disappears with a message saying the magic probably drew the lich back to the pletcharchy place, and the lich appears and I kill him again, but he lich keeps appearing telling me to give his soul back and my journal says I have to destroy his soul even though I already did. Help! (Bug?)
    Hi - the sliding throne opens the 'fire room' (I think).

I pretty much cleared the whole level without touching the lich - i.e. leaving it for last. I then went to the Dwarves...when I tried telling Deepvein what the deal was regarding his mate the lich etc - he attacked me!

So I was forced to kill the Lich without assistance; someone in this thread recommended Breach (5th level Mage spell)..wow did that turn out to be a a handy tip! Breach the lich as some as 'Protection from Magical Weapons' is up...I was then able to slice him and dice him...

As for his pletcharchy thingy, I don't recall physically having to drop it anywhere..I think I just went into the 'fire room' - clicked about a bit - stuff happened - and it was destroyed...

After destroying it, you of course have to kill him one last time (for real this time); if you're using the Breach tactic I suggest a sneaky rest after destroying the item so you'll have a full bank of spells for the last encounter.

Happy slaying.
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    My 1st post in this forum. But I am stuck on this quest and destroying on the lich. I think it may be a bug. I did EVERYTHING in the entire dungeon. I initiate the dialog telling him I am going to destroy him. And then proceed to turn him into a pincushion with arrows before he can get his spell protections up.

I send 5 of the 6 players to the portal room to clear out the fire based respawns. The 6th player with his boots of speed clears out the lich's room and graves the lich's boxed heart. He zooms over and drops that bad boy in the portal and it is destroyed.

But here is the weird part I have 3 of the tear anti lich crystals used all three and killed him 3 times. Then used secret word and wand of monster summoning and spell thrust to take him down 5 more times. And I have it on normal difficulty complete with a player made party that has run BGEE. So it's not like I am underpowered.

What am I missing? or is it a bug?
  • LiluraLilura Member Posts: 148
    edited April 2016
    I quite enjoyed this quest/combat encounter design/dungeon design. Here is my write-up on one of the solutions to the Dwarves of Dumathoin:

D e s t r o y C o l d h e a r t h L i c h
    (Option One)
    Eh? Who are you now? How did you come to this place? - Coldhearth Lich.
    It's a long story. A story that ends in a pitched battle with a dwarven lich. - Charname.

As in other lich battles Coldhearth opens proceedings by firing contingencies and triggers that allow him to immediately throw up all manner of buffs and wards; stuff like: Stoneskin, Fireshield, Protection From Magical Weapons, Protection From Energy, True Sight and Spell Turning. What, how am I supposed to take him down? Well, he should be EZ pickings after Breach removes PfMW / Stoneskin, but Deepvein also gifted you The Secret Revealed gemstone, remember? Use it to dispel Coldhearth's protections and inflict spell failure upon him - you DON'T want him unleashing Horrid Wilting on the party. Once exposed to your cold hard steel the dwarf-lich should drop like a sack of shit, but remember the lore on liches: they regenerate by means of their phylactery...

Snatch the ancient key from Coldhearth's corpse, unlock the secret door with it, and waste no time in reaching the Phylactery Cache. There are six phylacteries on display here, five of them decoys. Coldhearth's is the second from the left. Grab it. You may also break the other phylacteries to receive the gems with which they were adorned (Diamond, Black Opal x2). Now, make your way to the Broken Portal to Other Planes and cast the phylactery into the fire to destroy the lich, utterly (+22,000 Exp). The precious gems and gold that adorned the phylactery will be transferred to your inventory (King's Tears, Emerald, 3,000 GP) and you will receive +22,000 Exp and +3,000 quest experience points for each party member.
    Note: It may be that CL is not vanquished upon destruction of his phylactery; and instead, is hot on your heals in the portal chamber - and angry as hell. If that's the case simply use your ace card a second time and then drop him. With no phylactery to regenerate from, the +22,000 Exp should be yours.

Source: Siege of Dragonspear Walkthrough - Part IV
  • grotteauxgrotteaux Member Posts: 2
    Arius said:

My 1st post in this forum. But I am stuck on this quest and destroying on the lich. I think it may be a bug. I did EVERYTHING in the entire dungeon. I initiate the dialog telling him I am going to destroy him. And then proceed to turn him into a pincushion with arrows before he can get his spell protections up.

I send 5 of the 6 players to the portal room to clear out the fire based respawns. The 6th player with his boots of speed clears out the lich's room and graves the lich's boxed heart. He zooms over and drops that bad boy in the portal and it is destroyed.

But here is the weird part I have 3 of the tear anti lich crystals used all three and killed him 3 times. Then used secret word and wand of monster summoning and spell thrust to take him down 5 more times. And I have it on normal difficulty complete with a player made party that has run BGEE. So it's not like I am underpowered.

What am I missing? or is it a bug?

My problem was I was putting it down on the ground, and it would disappear, but not be destroyed. You have to activate the portal to throw it in there. Done!
  • jtthjtth Member Posts: 171

@Sikorsky

The following dialog path also seems to work, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stats check.

What is this checking? I have tried with 20 WIS, 19 INT, 17 CHA and haven't gotten it.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited May 2016
    jtth said:

@Sikorsky

The following dialog path also seems to work, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stats check.

What is this checking? I have tried with 20 WIS, 19 INT, 17 CHA and haven't gotten it.
    Chutzpah?
  • RathenauRathenau Member Posts: 80
    I knew I forgot to figure out the bit with the pillars, I brute forced it the first time and somehow the order stuck in my mind but I always intended to figure it out. Ah well, good to know.

It does seem that the room with the portal to the fire plane is rather ill positioned as it took me some time to find it as well. Perhaps placing a trap at the very entrance of the tunnel leading to it would make things more intuitive.
  • grassBladegrassBlade Member Posts: 31
    Vyrulisse said:

Can anyone give me some tips on

how to take him down the first time? Nothing I do effects him and I don't have Breach. :(

I have me (Cavalier), Minsc, Dynaheir, Safana, Corwin and the Goblin.
    Once you've opened his chest, talk to the dwarves. Between what they give you, magic missile and wand of heaven, he's a goner.
  • GhavGrimGhavGrim Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone found a use for the Cleric's Vestments? Or the Remains? Or the broken Phylactery, fro that matter?
  • galahad1313galahad1313 Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2017
    reviving this old post as I did the entire cave including the pillars and even got the message that a door was open after I did those said pillars(I assumed the final door before the pillars) where the lich is and I still can't get in???? scrap that, i know what i did wrong now if i could only beat the lich, breach doesn't work.
    Post edited by galahad1313 on
    you can go back to the dwarves and they will help you with the lich.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Confirming my theory, the monster that drops the potion seems to be an Imbued Wight that only spawns on Hard and Insane difficulties.

See for yourself with the attached save. I'll make a bug report if I have time a few hours from now, if someone else wants to do it first, feel free.

Not true, I play on normal and the essence drops everytime. Are you possibly despawning it by resting?
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    They changed it in a patch sometime after that post was made last year. I vaguely remember reading about it in the changelog.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    batoor said:

They changed it in a patch sometime after that post was made last year. I vaguely remember reading about it in the changelog.

Thanks Vanilla, for giving me new posts notification a year late...
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Have you noticed that if you count the pillars left to right and use the same code as getting into the secret room in temple of Bhal it works. So both places use the same sequence.